Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chuck Berry
Topic Started: Mar 19 2017, 10:38 AM (201 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Rock's greatest songwriter and most important guitarist, and he appeared in a handful of films, including Go, Johnny, Go!, Rock Rock Rock!, American Hot Wax, and Mister Rock and Roll.

I can't imagine how much poorer the last sixty years would've been without his music and his influence.

From Go, Johnny, Go! (1959)
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Great clip, LG.

I had an older brother who, as I remember, had some of Chuck's early tracks on 78's. And Lord knows those old rock 'n' roll pix played on WABC ad nauseum back in the late 50's and early 60's.

Not being a rocker, I'm a bit surprised there has been no earlier response on this. I would have thought it would have touched a lot of nerves. But I'm here to serve when needed.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I wrote my thoughts on Mr. Berry some time back here: http://s13.zetaboards.com/In_The_Balcony/topic/7179482/

Gravy didn't care for what I wrote because he thought I was putting Berry down. I think he misunderstood what I was saying so I'll leave it at that.

As far as Berry being the most important guitarist in rock 'n' roll, I have my doubts. He was certainly the most influential but I believe the most important guitarists were probably mostly uncredited studio musicians who came up with licks that everybody stole or at least imitated. Yes, guitarists also did this with Berry's licks but there wasn't enough range in those to cover all the areas of rock 'n' roll.
You can't get there from here.

« Previous Topic · Movie Makers · Next Topic »
Add Reply