Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Imagination Theatre has ended its run
Topic Started: Apr 11 2017, 08:48 AM (222 Views)
JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Imagination Theatre, the last regularly scheduled radio drama program in the U.S. (at least to my knowledge), has ended its run after 20 years due to the age and health of its producer/owner Jim French. I don't know how many Balconeers may have been a listener to this show, but I have listened to many episodes over the years. Its most lasting contribution to my mind was the Harry Nile character. Nile was a world-weary but straight arrow P.I. first in L.A. and then in Seattle who was historically placed over the time of around 1939 into the early '60s. Imagination Theatre did dramas, comedies, mystery show, scifi, fantasy and just about any other genre you can imagine. They also featured new Sherlock Holmes dramatizations that had the blessing of the Conan Doyle estate. There are still a few IT episodes floating around on YouTube and the Jim French Productions website offers a lot of CDs of show episodes. The website will probably end soon too.

You guys north of the border and in the UK are lucky that you still have some radio drama or comedy shows.
You can't get there from here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

We have radio drama or comedy shows on the radio up here? Call me "embarrassed". What station? What shows? When?

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Maybe I was misinformed, Bats, but I thought I had read that the CBC still does radio dramas.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

It may, but I don't know anyone that still listens to CBC radio.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
I listened to the CBC a fair amount when I could get it (it had to be a good reception day) but the station (Victoria, I think) seemed to disappear at some point. The Canadian take on the news was interesting, and I always made a point of listening to the Queen's Christmas message because it was so wonderfully retro.

Jim French was an announcer on the local Seattle ABC station a million years ago, and the Harry Niles shows were broadcast late on Saturday nights, IIRC. I figured they were strictly local and didnít know he had acquired a national following.

I only heard a few of them, primarily because I am not a night owl, but also because they never really clicked with me, in the same way that CBS Mystery Theatre never clicked.

It was good to know that someone was still out there trying, but something was just missing.

BTW, and OT, this site seems to have all the Mystery Theatre programs available for download, if anyone is a fan:

http://www.cbsrmt.com/

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Imagination Theatre had a network of mostly AM and mostly smaller town radio stations around the U.S. that carried the show. I believe that Sirius/XM satellite radio also carried it. Like CBSRMT, Imagination Theatre was very uneven in its shows but mostly they were at least interesting and a change of pace from the usual radio fare.

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
JazzGuyy
Apr 11 2017, 08:48 AM
Its most lasting contribution to my mind was the Harry Nile character.
Harry was that rarity, a likeable PI. (Would you really like to just hang out with Spade or Marlowe or even Richard Castle?)

You could once find IT episodes on the old OTR Unix newsgroup. I haven't heard an episode in years, but I am still saddened to hear of its demise. As somelse has already pointed out it was very uneven, but the best was rather good and you could always turn off the stinkers.
The Ol' Sarge

« Previous Topic · Gather 'round the Philco · Next Topic »
Add Reply