Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Al Capone (1959)
Topic Started: Jun 3 2017, 03:55 PM (118 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Al Capone (1959) Dir. Richard Wilson
An Allied Artists Picture
104 min. / B&W / 1.85:1
On DVD from Warner Archive

The rise (from a small-town Brooklyn hood called to Chicago to be an enforcer for Big Jim Colosimo) to his days as the King of the City to his fall and final days: the story of Alphonse "Scarface" Capone, as portrayed by Rod Steiger, who chews both cigars AND scenery with equal relish.

Highly enjoyable, gritty, dark movie and while Steiger is nobody's idea of a subtle actor, his bombast creates an unforgettable version of Capone that's fun to watch. Mostly, I love the fact that the movie never pretends that he's more than a ruthless, rather stupid underworld character with delusions of grandeur (ever see the movie with Armand Assante as John Gotti? Sweet JESUS, if he weren't dumb as a horsefly I would've thought Gotti directed that himself). Fay Spain (well known to me from her career-not-quite-making turn in Dragstrip Girl) is the widow (courtesy of Al) who becomes his paramour; James Gregory is the tough, honest cop after him; Martin Balsam is terrific as the crooked journalist taking money from both cops and robbers; Nehemiah Persoff is Johnny Torrio, the guy ahead of Capone on the mob ladder.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Al, explaining to his buddies how he's gone straight by pointing to his businesses: "We got trucking, the garages, we got cleaning, and dining, and milk, and all these people are gonna pay protection!"
Bugs Moran: "Protection? From who?"
Al: "From who? Protection from us."

Well shot and directed, fast moving, holds back no punches, and yeah, the St. Valentine's Day Massacre is shown in all its notorious glory. Very nice print from Warner Archive, too. Highly recommended.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Monogram Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply