Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
Topic Started: Jul 13 2017, 09:13 PM (697 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter (1954) Dir. Norman Foster
Originally aired on the "Frontierland" segment of Disneyland, Wednesday, Dec. 15, 1954

Davy Crockett and his pal Georgie Russel are off to fight Indians under the command of Gen. Andrew Jackson, but Davy don't take much to soldierin', plus most of the Army is relatively clueless about how to survive in the wilderness. Finally, Davy and Chief Redstick battle with tomahawks to figger out whose side is a-gonna win and who's side ain't.

Entertaining, well done hour that's marred by the complete disregard for Native Americans and by some ill-placed stock footage that appears to be castoffs from the True-Life Adventures series, including gators and snakes a-plenty. Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen are tops as Davy 'n' Georgie; Pat Hogan is Redstick and Basil Ruysdael is a hoot as cantankerous ol' General Jackson.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Davy, ordered into battle: "I sure hope your company sharpshooters don't mistake us for Injuns."
Gen. Jackson: "If they do, I'll see they apologize."

Filmed in color but broadcast originally in B&W; the Disney Treasures version is in full color except for the Disneyland intro and outro and a brief sepia-tone segment that apparently was cut for the color rebroadcast and has been lost. Davymania took everyone by surprise, including Walt Disney, who regretted killing him off after only three episodes, so stitched 'em together for a theatrical release and then brought Davy back for a couple of prequels the following season. In total, about $300 million in merchandise was pushed; not bad. And of course, once you've heard it, you can't forget the theme song, sung every few minutes with new lyrics to push the story along.

Also on the Program

A trio of Disney cartoons; The Plowboy (1929) offers Farmer Mickey Mouse playing "Coming through the Rye" on a cow's teats; in the gorgeous Lullaby Land (1933), a Silly Symphony, a baby rocks out of his cradle and falls from the treetop into a land of both splendor and very dangerous things for a baby to touch. Never saw it before, but it's an instant favorite. And then Donald Duck wrestles with his demonic bad self and his angelic good one in Donald's Better Self, 1938. A fun group of cartoons.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Both Disney Crockett programs from the TV show were issued a number of years ago on a now out-of-print Disney Treasures tin set. Both theatrical Crockett movies, put together from the TV shows, are available in a Blu-Ray double feature, but only officially from the Disney Movie Club.
TANSTAAFL!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'm glad I grabbed all those Disney Treasure tins when they first came out.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The official Marx Alamo playset:
http://www.sdsoldiers.com/CARLMARXALAMO1.jpg

Especially enjoy the branded front gate:
http://www.sdsoldiers.com/DSC04052.JPG

And one of the official guitars:
https://cdn.globalauctionplatform.com/5c731e20-8215-4292-83d0-a54e00c39db1/1ceb1dd4-25b3-441c-a01c-7d0c1791c6bb/original.jpg

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
I think I had a Davy Crockett lunchbox or maybe a toolbox, but that's as far as the craze went for me. No raccoon hat. I do remember it being a pretty big thing at the time.

For me "Keelboat Race" is by far the best and most likable of the TV series. It's genuinely funny and down to earth, and captures what I assume was Disney's vision of America at its best.

The movie version added a good scene about Davy insisting on playing fair in the race, and IIRC deleted a scene with Georgie apologizing in the street to Davy for his barroom antics and worrying about rounding up men. No idea why on the latter, except possibly running time. Should have been kept in to round things out IMHO.

Jeff York, who so indelibly played Mike Fink, popped up recently in a couple of Bronco and Perry Mason episodes on the big home screen, and it took me several minutes of head scratching to identify him, as he was playing somewhat normal human beings.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
Jul 14 2017, 12:46 PM

So did I, and those tins fetch outrageous prices on places like eBay. Do you have the tin sets for the Nature series and Zorro too, Bats?
TANSTAAFL!

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
JazzGuyy
Jul 14 2017, 03:03 PM
The Batman

So did I, and those tins fetch outrageous prices on places like eBay. Do you have the tin sets for the Nature series and Zorro too, Bats?
Likewise, and I really wish they'd reissue all the Treasures as catalog titles so I can gift them on loved ones (no way I'm lending even them my tins). Who's going to be angry besides eBay extortionists?

Disney Movie Club offers the Mickey Mouse Club serial about the Hardy Boys and the Applegate Treasure; don't know if the special features are on that version. For a while they had the complete Zorro episodes, six per disc and acceptably colorized. Those vanished before the Zorro tins came and went. DMC also has a handful of television two-parters in their foreign theatrical release form.

Little ironies: Up to the late 70s, the only way I could see most older Disney features, animated or live action, was in re-release or in pieces on the "World of Color". Now I own "Make Mine Music", "Melody Time" and others that were sliced up into individual segments; likewise obscure features that dropped out of the re-release AND television cycles. But "World of Color" (and its B&W predecessors) is now hard to see, limited to the occasional Disney night on TCM. Will we ever get boy reporter Gallagher, Young Ben Turpin, Ludwig Von Drake, Kilroy, the Horsemasters (Annette, Janet Munro, and a young Jane Marsh),or the clip shows filled out with significant new animation?

Sgt King
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Did you know that ol' Davy Crockett's buddy Mike Fink (Jeff York) original name was Granville Owen and co-starred in the 1940's serial Terry And The Pirates and than starred as Li'l Abner the same year?

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I keep my eyes open at the used record/movie stores in town. Picked up the Davy Crocket tin and 3 or 4 others for $16 each recently.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
JazzGuyy
Jul 14 2017, 03:03 PM
The Batman

Yes, sir.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
I did know that, Sergeant, but only because I looked him up on IMDb when I saw him in those TV episodes.

I had always assumed he was a Disney discovery, but turns out his career goes back to "Kid Galahad" in 1937. He must have been less beefy back then.

I like him. Kind of a Pat Flaherty guy.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Frank Hale
Jul 15 2017, 03:17 PM
I did know that, Sergeant, but only because I looked him up on IMDb when I saw him in those TV episodes.

I had always assumed he was a Disney discovery, but turns out his career goes back to "Kid Galahad" in 1937. He must have been less beefy back then.

I like him. Kind of a Pat Flaherty guy.
York also played founding father James Otis in Disney's "Johnny Tremain". It's a short, somber turn: Otis, long sidelined by a severe accident (and mental illness), shows up at a Sons of Liberty meeting and basically tells them what they're going to be fighting for.

In interviews on the Crockett tin and the "Old Yeller" two-disc package, Fess Parker affectionately remembers York as an effortless scene stealer (they also played together in "The Great Locomotive Chase").

York, aka Owen, was an odd Abner in an odd movie. He can't quite bring himself to play Abner as the proper innocent moron; he's shy around gals but seems to know dang well what they're after.

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
CliffClaven
Jul 14 2017, 01:53 PM
The official Marx Alamo playset:
http://www.sdsoldiers.com/CARLMARXALAMO1.jpg
I had one of these when I was a little tyke.
The Ol' Sarge

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Davy Crockett Goes to Congress (1955) Dir. Norman Foster
Originally aired on the "Frontierland" segment of Disneyland, Wednesday, Jan. 26, 1955

Six weeks after the first episode, Davy was back. Looking for a new homestead, he and Georgie head west and meet Mike Mazurki, who likes to brawl, shoot, and cheat Indians out of their land. After Davy takes care of THAT feller, he's picked to run for the Tennessee legislature, and then for the U.S. Congress, where he butts heads with President Andrew Johnson over expansion into Indian lands. That costs him his political career as our story ends.

Another really fine hour-long adventure, with a lot of laughs and heart (and a surprising end to Mrs. Crockett, who gets ill and dies - offscreen- and that's it for her and the kids, it looks like). Dang, I wish I had a Davy Crockett coonskin cap. Last time I was there, they still sell the (faux) things in Frontierland in Disneyland.

Hey, somebody let Buddy Ebsen dance this episode - an excellent choice.

Also on the Program

A trio of fine Disney short subjects, including The Jazz Fool (1929) with Mickey Mouse taking his calliope act on the road so that cows can dance (and I LOVE these early Mickeys, each one is marvelous and the next one is 100% better); the Silly Symphonies Technicolor classic The Wise Old Hen, which introduced Peter Pig, who didn't catch on, and Donald Duck, who did; and Goofy and Wilbur, the first Goofy solo cartoon, 1939, which features Goofy and his best friend, a tough-guy grasshopper, catching fish. Also watched two short documentaries on the creation of Goofy and on Pinty Colvig.

Fun stuff.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
A note: The two theatrical films carved from the Davy Crockett shows are currently available on a single DVD.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Adventures in the Balcony · Next Topic »
Add Reply