Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hold That Baby! (1949); Bowery Boys #14
Topic Started: Jul 19 2017, 06:20 AM (306 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Background

Yet another Bowery Boys picture; how much background do you need? The second of four films for the team from 1949, released in June and clocking in at a perfect 64 minutes. Reginald LeBorg directs for the third and last time; too bad, his short stint with the team was plenty good.

Cast

Dead End Kids Gorcey, Hall, and Dell all return; Billy Benedict, David Gorcey, and Bennie Bartlett are Whitey, Chuck, and Butch; Bernard Gorcey is back as Louie (and once again, in top form), with Frankie Darro back, this time as a small-time punk called Bananas.

John Kellogg is the villain and Anabel Shaw is our leading lady.

Story

When Slip and Sach lose their jobs delivering laundry, they open their own laundromat in the back of Louie's Sweet Shoppe, where a distraught woman drops off a baby with her bundle of laundry. Seems like the lady's wicked aunts are trying to have her institutionalized so they can get rid of the baby, the soul heir to the woman's dead husband's fortune, and inherit all the loot themselves. The Bowery Boys attempt to raise the baby in their own inimitable fashion, but gangsters have gotten wind that there's a large reward for the return of the baby - and an even larger reward from the wicked aunts for keeping the baby lost.

A very funny entry in the series; highlights include Sach in the sanitarium playing (invisible) poker with a couple of crazy sharpies, Sach in drag as a "mom" with her baby to fool the neighborhood cop, and Ida Moore and Florence Auer as the two homicidal old bats. In the assembly-line world of the Bowery Boys, it is always nice when whatever the latest entry is is worthwhile, and this is definitely one of the better ones.

Million-dollar Dialog:

Louie: "Some day I'll blow up this whole Sweet Shoppe, and THEN we'll see who's boss!"

Slip to Sach: "I don't know how anybody could be so stupid and still cling to life!"

Aftermath

Jean Yarbrough directed the next one, released as usual three months later.

Hold That Baby! is available in Warner Archives' The Bowery Boys Vol. 1.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I'd love to get these sets, from the few I've seen I think I would enjoy this series. Unfortunately, they are just too darn expensive right now.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Don Diego
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
Jul 19 2017, 10:32 AM
I'd love to get these sets, from the few I've seen I think I would enjoy this series. Unfortunately, they are just too darn expensive right now.

$45 per set with $1 shipping at movie Zyng

« Previous Topic · Dead End · Next Topic »
Add Reply