Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dunkirk (2017)
Topic Started: Aug 25 2017, 12:59 PM (72 Views)
Fantomas
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Wow! This film really impressed me, and I don't get impressed all that often at the movies. It has all the appearances of an action-war film, but it's actually a hidden art film.
The enemy is hardly seen, and the soldiers (except for two pilots) never do any fighting--they're just trying to get away. And it's structured like Intolerance, inter-cutting three separate stories; only instead of being centuries apart, the stories are days, then hours, then minutes apart. Part of the excitement of the film's climax is realizing that the stories are all coming together.
Dunkirk is based on a series of ironies, but never becomes cynical. Rather, it's patriotic and uplifting. Viscerally exciting throughout, but also moving--it almost brought me to tears at one point.
So this is a definite recommendation. And don't wait for the video. I don't care how big your TV is. The film will lose so much impact on the home screen. It was shot in IMAX 70mm, and I saw it on the biggest IMAX screen in NYC. (97'x76' with 18K resolution.) See it that way if at all possible. It's really quite something.
"For life is short, but death is long."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Frontline Combat! · Next Topic »
Add Reply