Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tarzan's Peril (1951)
Topic Started: Sep 2 2017, 07:24 PM (128 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Tarzan's Peril (1951) Dir. Byron Haskin
A Sol Lesser Production released by RKO
79 min. / B&W / 1.37:1
On DVD from Warner Archive

An escaped convict and his two minions are selling guns to the natives, and although Tarzan keeps vowing to "keep out of trouble," he ends up rescuing his many African friends, including Queen Dorothy Dandridge.

As you may well recall, I praised Tarzan and the Slave Girl as the best Tarzan picture in several years, so I was rather disappointed in this one. Heavily promoted as the first Tarzan filmed in Africa, but my understanding is that after a short time in Kenya the production company hot-footed it back to the states where they were cooler, dryer, and safer. Lex Barker is still good as Tarzan (his vocabulary increases with every picture) and he's on his third Jane in this, his third film in the series. Virginia Huston's the lucky girl; she's sexy, wears a VERY flattering thin dress, gets a nice swimming sequence, and looks ridiculous in her June Cleaver 1951 hairstyle. Big mistake. As for Cheeta, well, she's revealed as a girl chimp in this film: for some reason I always thought of Cheeta as a boy, that is, whenever I pondered Cheeta's sexuality, which - to be frank - wasn't very often.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Tarzan, reasoning with a local authority: "If Barney right, Tarzan sorry. If Tarzan right, everybody sorry. I go find out, then nobody sorry."

The evil king of the war-mongering, gun-hungry tribe wears a big toilet bowl brush on his head. I needed to mention that somewhere in this review, and it's not an easy subject into which to segue.

Tarzan's Peril is available in a lovely print from our friends at the Warner Archive. No trailer or nothin', though.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Jungle Boogie! · Next Topic »
Add Reply