Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My 3 cherces for disc o' the month are...
Lost Horizon 0 (0%)
Superman: Extended Cut 4 (10.3%)
Topper 5 (12.8%)
Vampyr 3 (7.7%)
Avanti! 1 (2.6%)
The Green Slime 1 (2.6%)
Othello 0 (0%)
The Sea Wolf 2 (5.1%)
T-Men: Special Edition 0 (0%)
Take the Money and Run 2 (5.1%)
Glenda Farrell Triple Feature 0 (0%)
Green Acres: The Complete Series 2 (5.1%)
Guy Kibbee Triple Feature 0 (0%)
Spider-man: Homecoming 2 (5.1%)
Captain from Castile 0 (0%)
The Pirates of Blood River 0 (0%)
Hell on Frisco Bay 1 (2.6%)
The Old Dark House 7 (17.9%)
Portrait of Jennie 0 (0%)
He Walked by Night 1 (2.6%)
Junior Bonner 0 (0%)
The Miracle Worker 0 (0%)
Return of the Ape Man 3 (7.7%)
The Vampire’s Ghost 3 (7.7%)
S.O.S. Tidal Wave 2 (5.1%)
Total Votes: 39
Disc of the Month; October, 2017
Topic Started: Oct 1 2017, 04:16 PM (1,043 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Last month, Cap'n Marvel edged out Wonder Woman. What're the odds?

Read about this month's releases (there's a lot more than we had room to vote on here) at http://inthebalcony.com/.

Then vote for your three favorites! See? It's easy and fun!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
There's a ton of great stuff this month (ooh! my achin' wallet!) but I voted for Sea Wolf, Take the Money and Run, and the Topper set (hoping the last is really good quality). There are at least 4 or 5 other items that could have gotten my vote. The next couple of months are always painful because the best stuff of the year often comes out during this time period.
TANSTAAFL!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
I've watched Topper one and a half times. It's not as knock-your-socks-off as One Million B.C., but it's very good and blows the old DVD out of the water.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Bert Greene
[ *  *  * ]
An unusually interesting month for releases. I don't yet really know what I'm going to go with yet, so I'm holding off on my vote. I'm especially curious to see "Hell on Frisco Bay" (1955) again. It's over 35 years since I last saw it on tv, and I don't remember too much about it. Other than I think I liked it. Always been a fan of Alan Ladd. I'll take a pass on "Lost Horizon" (1937). Enjoyed the first time I saw it, but with each successive viewing, I found my identification swaying from Ronald Colman's character to John Howard's character. In other words, the tale's utopian views became more and more grotesquely unpalatable to me each time I saw the movie. Although, Jane Wyatt was cute as a button.

I adore Glenda Farrell, but the three films comprising the collection I recall being somewhat tepid. Still might get it, though. "Topper" (1937) is an old favorite, although I've probably seen it too many times to really find myself excited over its release. Ditto for "He Walked By Night" (1948). Richard Basehart is absolutely terrific in it, and I love the film. But gee, is a Blu-ray of it something I really need? My limited budget demands I ask myself such questions.

I'm particularly excited about "SOS Tidal Wave" (1939), even though I'm entirely aware of the type of Republic b-film that it is. Love this kind of thing. Might also be a kick to see a sharp print of "Return of the Ape Man" (1944). I've pre-ordered both, along with "The Vampire's Curse" (1945). The biggest news is really this restored print of "The Old Dark House" (1932). Yet if I'm to be honest, I have to admit the film never quite clicked with me. The theatricality, the single setting, the goofy humor... not really my cup of tea. I wonder if seeing a sharp, fresh restored print would change my opinion, but I somewhat doubt it. Another item (that Gravy didn't list) is Warner Archives' release of "Wide Open" (1930), an early-talkie comedy starring Edward Everett Horton. I have an old VHS transfer from Grapevine of it, but I'd like to get it upgraded. Always good to have more Patsy Ruth Miller in my disc collection.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Lots of good stuff this month, still deciding what to vote on.

Bert, where did you preorder RETURN OF THE APE MAN and VAMPIRE'S GHOST? I don't see them available yet.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

And THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN has been moved to a November 14th release date.

Bert Greene
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
Oct 2 2017, 07:08 AM
Lots of good stuff this month, still deciding what to vote on.

Bert, where did you preorder RETURN OF THE APE MAN and VAMPIRE'S GHOST? I don't see them available yet.

Bats, I pre-ordered the three Olive titles from Movies Unlimited, which had them listed on their site.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Ah, thanks, Bert. I've never ordered from them before, but I'll look into it. Weird that they have these titles listed for pre-sale, but no other site does.

In fact, Olive still has no mention of them on its own site!

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
Oct 2 2017, 10:35 AM
Ah, thanks, Bert. I've never ordered from them before, but I'll look into it. Weird that they have these titles listed for pre-sale, but no other site does.

In fact, Olive still has no mention of them on its own site!

I have heard their delivery costs to Canada are very high.
TANSTAAFL!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I was curious about that, Jazzy. They do say shipping is free for orders over $50, but don't say if that is only in the U.S. I have emailed them to ask.

I'm just as happy to wait until they show up on Amazon, anyway.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Ouch.

You were correct, Jazzy. Movies Unlimited has one of the worst international shipping rate tables I have ever seen from a DVD retailer.

I'll wait for Amazon.

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Jazzy, again, you are correct. This is going to be a very expensive month. I am planning to pick up the following and that doesn't include the Criterions that I will save for the B&N sale:

Lost Horizon
Superman: Extended Cut
T-Men: Special Edition
Take the Money and Run
Spider-man: Homecoming
Hell on Frisco Bay
The Old Dark House
Portrait of Jennie
Return of the Ape Man
The Vampire’s Ghost
S.O.S. Tidal Wave

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Batman
Oct 3 2017, 07:04 AM
Jazzy, again, you are correct. This is going to be a very expensive month. I am planning to pick up the following and that doesn't include the Criterions that I will save for the B&N sale:

Lost Horizon
Superman: Extended Cut
T-Men: Special Edition
Take the Money and Run
Spider-man: Homecoming
Hell on Frisco Bay
The Old Dark House
Portrait of Jennie
Return of the Ape Man
The Vampire’s Ghost
S.O.S. Tidal Wave

We overlap on more than half of those, Bats. On top of what I will buy here, there is the stuff from the UK which adds another few bucks :'(

I'll also be getting the UHD Bridge on the River Kwai and maybe the UHD Apollo 13. The Sea Wolf and The Law and Jake Wade are definites. I'll also get the 3D war drama Cease Fire. I also just got the Ernie Kovacs TV sorta quiz show Take a Good Look set which I vaguely remember seeing some episodes of. I am a sucker for Kovacs' weird but terribly original approach to comedy.

I'll pass on your last 4 items. Not my particular cup of tea.
TANSTAAFL!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

All good, Jazzy. Conversely, I am glad I am not jumping into the UHD ring. I feel bad enough when I upgrade a title from DVD to Blu.

The double-dipping is expensive enough, not ready to enter a new ring of triple-dipping.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I go back to the LaserDisc days as a collector. There are some things out there that I have quintuple-dipped. I just can't resist when there is a really improved version or one with significant new footage or extras.

Collecting is a true hobby. What's a hobby? The definition I have always liked is that a hobby is something you can spend infinite amounts of time and money on.
TANSTAAFL!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Poll Vault & Rant Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply