Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fats Domino RIP
Topic Started: Oct 25 2017, 07:14 AM (267 Views)
JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
One of the founding fathers is gone: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/obituaries/fats-domino-89-one-of-rock-n-rolls-first-stars-is-dead.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront
TANSTAAFL!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Less than 200 views?? Sheesh, for about 2 years in the late fifties Mr. Domino was 2nd only to Elvis in record sales!!! Here's an early one of his that I never get tired listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIz1cPfTRW4
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Well.... I sit corrected!!

Googled the top songs of 1955 thru 1958 & saw far fewer numbers from Mr. Domino than I woulda figured. They didn’t chart as high as I remembered either.

Which leads me to ask if Fats was more popular in SoCal than he was in other parts of the country? Could be. Imperial Records was located on Highland Ave. just south of Hollywood Blvd. While I wouldn’t want to accuse Lew Chudd of “payola”, it was peculiar that Bill Justus version of “Raunchy” was a big hit in the rest of the country while it was Ernie Freeman’s version (on Imperial) that hit in SoCal.

Always wondered how Lew talked Ozzie Nelson into signing his son to Imperial?
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
I was pretty much a wee lad, but I remember him as pretty big in the NY area in the mid-50's, right up there with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Bill Haley.

No idea if that translated to actual record sales, but my older brother had "Blueberry Hill" and "I'm Walking" on 78's, and he didn't buy a lot of discs.

« Previous Topic · Balcony Jukebox · Next Topic »
Add Reply