Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Ghost Goes Gear (1966)
Topic Started: Oct 31 2017, 05:57 AM (126 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

The Ghost Goes Gear (1966) Dir. Hugh Gladwish
Associated British-Pathé
79 min. / Colour / 1.66:1
Released on DVD (2000) by Anchor Bay

The Spencer Davis Group accompanies their manager on a trip to visit his mum, only to discover that the old lady's about to lose her home because she can't pay the upkeep (or even the pretty blonde maid). With the help of the ghost who lives in the pantry, they throw a garden party and invite their musical friends to perform as a fund raiser.

Hmmmm.

A throwback to the 1950s "Let's put on a show!" R&R musicals much more than, say, A Hard Day's Night, although the opening reels have some nice, batty British humour in them. Interestingly (sort of), the "adults" in the film (mom, pop, manager, goofy old butler, you know the types) have more screen time than Spencer Davis, Steve Winwood, and company do.

Battle of the Bands

I know the Spencer Davis Group from "Gimme Some Loving" and "I'm a Man" and a few other songs they don't perform here. They're quite good, though, particularly on "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" and "When I Come Home". Personality wise, they didn't impress me all that much, but they're cute in that 1960s rock band sorta way.

Mr. Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band have a couple of numbers, neither of which is "Stranger on the Shore".

The only other performer I recognized was Dave Barry, whom I know from "The Crying Game" and one or two other songs and he's awful here, singing songs about his mother while sitting up in a tree. Ick.

He's better than the Three Bells, heavily made up and bewigged lasses who look like transvestites and sing and dance like a cross between the Brady girls and the Del Rubio triplets. Polly White is the pretty maid who gets a couple of numbers, notably a goofy one about being Miss Fit (or something like that). She's a posh bird, if I do say so.

Somebody named the Lorne Gibson Trio isn't bad at all; their songs aren't too good but at least they can rock (sort of). St. Louis Union (who?) is even better, doing a good song called "I Got My Pride" and a song about British teeth(!).

My lovely film-watching companion really liked the other group, M6, and while I did, too - they were the hardest rocking of the entertainers - their two lead singers looked like the Hardy Boys, which unnerved me more than a bit.

A beautiful DVD from Anchor Bay, and there's even a commentary track by Mr. Davis that I look forward to hearing.

I generally like 1960s pop band musicals, and I liked this one.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Singin' and Dancin' · Next Topic »
Add Reply