Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Topic Started: Nov 19 2017, 12:36 PM (156 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) Dir. Kenneth Branagh
Based on the novel by Agatha Christie
20th Century Fox
114 min. / color / 2.39:1

A snowbound train in Europe is filled with people, many of whom have a good reason to wish a fellow passenger, a certain American gangster, dead, and when said American gangster ends up that way, the world's greatest detective (or so he says), Hercule Poirot, and his phenomenal mustache are going to solve the case.

Pretty good remake and fairly representative adaptation of the Christie classic novel. It helps a lot (a LOT) if you don't care that it isn't as good as the first one. Branagh is fine as Poirot, a rather tortured take on the character (who can't stop seeing imperfections in the world, not bad if you're looking for clues but awful if you just want to ride a train home), replacing Albert Finney, who was very good in a different way; Penelope Cruz (not Ingrid Bergman) is the missionary; and in no particular order, Judi Dench is Wendy Hiller, Johnny Depp is Richard Widmark, Leslie Odom, Jr. is Sean Connery, Tom Bateman is Martin Balsam, Michelle Pfeiffer is Lauren Bacall, Derek Jacobi is John Gielgud, Josh Gad is Anthony Perkins, Lucy Boynton is Jacqueline Bisset, Daisy Ridley is Vanessa Redgrave, Marwan Kenzari is Jean-Pierre Cassel, and Willem Dafoe is somebody or other, plus no doubt I'm forgetting a few suspects and/or victims.

Million-dollar Dialog:

Suspect who doesn't like being accused, to Mr. Perot: "When you're a hammer, you think every problem is a nail!"

Oh, okay.

Worth seeing, I thought, but go late: we had to sit through 20 minutes of absolutely terrible coming attractions, including a hilarious awful trailer for the next 50 Shades of Grey movie, which made me burst out laughing right there in the theatre.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I remember reading the MAD satire before seeing the first movie version. When I did catch up with the movie, I was shocked to discover that what I thought was a MAD joke was actually the solution to the mystery (granted, MAD made it a bit funnier).

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I thought Branagh was a little robust to play Poirot, but I love the mustache!

My wife was imprinted by David Suchet's Poirot, but she was won over.

The movie was reasonably faithful to what I remember of the book, which I read many years ago. It is refreshing to go to a movie that does not rely on CGI explosions and gratuitous nudity to replace plot.
The Ol' Sarge

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
CliffClaven
Nov 19 2017, 02:47 PM
I was shocked to discover that what I thought was a MAD joke was actually the solution to the mystery (granted, MAD made it a bit funnier).
Christie's denouement was pretty silly to begin with. Not one of her best efforts!!
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."

« Previous Topic · Nouvelle Balcony · Next Topic »
Add Reply