Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eddie Dean Question; 2 Horses?
Topic Started: Jan 26 2018, 03:41 PM (362 Views)
Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
Why did Eddie Dean Ride two different horses? One was a dark color, named Flash and one was white, named White Cloud. These are introduced in the opening credits of his movies. If he didn't really have a horse why would they bother with the credits or if one died, why wasn't it simply replaced with another of the same color? I'm sure there was a reason for this and I'm just as sure at least one of you knows what it is.
Edited by Chandu, Jan 26 2018, 03:42 PM.
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Don Diego
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Eddie Dean used at least four horses in his movies. In order, they were War Paint, Flash, White Cloud, and Copper. It may have had something to do with some of the movies being in colour.

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I've never seen an Eddie Dean starring picture, but here's a quote I found at the Old Corral site, Chandu:

WILD WEST was the last Cinecolor outing and reunited Dean and LaRue, this time as rangers with Ates making it a threesome western not unlike the Hopalong Cassidy trios, Three Mesquiteers and Range Busters predecessors. There is no reforming, no undercover work; the three are on the same side from the start, helping build a telegraph line across a territory where evil whites are trying to incite Indian violence. There is some hint of competition between Dean and LaRue for the favors of heroine Louise Currie, but she clearly prefers Eddie and LaRue settles for her tomboy sister. The picture features hard riding (including all three rangers, or their stand-ins, doing running mounts in unison from the rears of their horses) and lots of shooting, with Dean and LaRue cleaning up opposite ends of the street with blazing two-gun action and then engaging in a saloon brawl with the outlaw leaders. The movie was too good to leave alone; a black and white version called PRAIRIE OUTLAWS, with new footage of Dean and Ates at the start and the romantic bit with the sisters edited out, was released in 1948.

Up until then, Eddie had ridden a paint horse named War Paint. With WILD WEST, the credits became 'Eddie Dean and his horse Flash'. A few movies later, it was 'Eddie Dean and his horse White Cloud'. Before the end of the series, it was 'Eddie Dean and his horse Copper'. Dean would later comment in an interview that he kept changing so he would never be upstaged by his horse.

http://www.b-westerns.com/dean4.htm

This page has some info also:

http://www.b-westerns.com/dean6.htm

Chandu
Member Avatar
Champeen of Justice and Seeker of Knowledge, but rascal at heart!
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys! Somehow I never considered an actor being concerned about his horse upstaging him! LOL
Not plane, nor bird, nor even frog. It's just little ol' me...

« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply