Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I'm votin' for 3 of the following candidates for Disc o' the Month:
Along Came Jones 4 (10%)
Casanova Brown 1 (2.5%)
Elevator to the Gallows 0 (0%)
Grizzly 1 (2.5%)
Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno 1 (2.5%)
The Way West 1 (2.5%)
The Wilby Conspiracy 0 (0%)
Night of the Living Dead 9 (22.5%)
Seijun Suzuki: The Early Years. Vol. 1 Seijun Rising: The Youth Movies 0 (0%)
The Silence of the Lambs 5 (12.5%)
The Thomas Crown Affair 1 (2.5%)
The Covered Wagon 3 (7.5%)
Farewell, My Lovely / The Big Sleep 3 (7.5%)
The Night Walker 1 (2.5%)
The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds 0 (0%)
Harry and Walter Go to New York 0 (0%)
78/52: Hitchcock's Shower Scene 2 (5%)
Basket Case: Limited Edition 0 (0%)
Birdman of Alcatraz 0 (0%)
Five on the Black Hand Side 0 (0%)
Hallelujah Trail 3 (7.5%)
Harper 1 (2.5%)
The Drowning Pool 0 (0%)
The Outlaw 4 (10%)
Tom Jones 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 40
Disc of the Month; February, 2018
Topic Started: Feb 4 2018, 11:46 AM (777 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Well, here we are again. Last month's winner was a tie between Dragonwyck and The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Vol. 1. And ten years ago, the winner was this. Yep, we've been hangin' 'round this jernt for more than ten years. Thanks, everyone!

More about these and other new releases up at http://inthebalcony.com/

Pick up to THREE titles.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Twelve years and counting, I think.

Sobering.

Tarzan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
There's a ton of great selections this month, but the three I'm definitely getting are The Way West, Hallelujah Trail and The Outlaw.
Don't sweat the small stuff kid, or you'll go bald early!

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
A lot of things I would've grabbed without even thinking I now don't bother with; down the road, they'll be on sale if I still want them. The Way West and The Covered Wagon look good, but that aside I'd rather have Blu-ray classic sci-fi, horror, or cartoons. Night of the Living Dead can wait 'til the next half-price Criterion sale. Along Came Jones looks really good, but I can wait. I'll request Five on the Black Hand Side from Olive and we'll see.

Oh, and I've never seen The Outlaw and I want to!

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I suspect Night of the Living Dead to be the runaway winner this month, though it is a film I couldn't care less about. I voted for other items I will leave nameless for the moment.
TANSTAAFL!

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Jazzy, what is it about Night Of The Living Dead that you don't like?

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Hey, ML, what is it about Night of the Living Dead that you DO like? (That's called having a conversation.)

I saw "The Way West" first run and absolutely hated it. Despite all the impressive credits, the script was ludicrous, and I will always remember the deathless Sally Field line "Kiss me, Brownie, the way married people do!" Leonard Maltin appears to agree with me on this one.

I think I've said before that I thought "The Covered Wagon" was worth a look as a genuine effort to recreate the pioneer days, and that the Gaylord Carter organ score was fun; but also that modern critics have found the film dramatically pretty lame.

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
From the George Romero thread on July 22, 2017, I wrote the following:

Dawn of the Dead was a good movie, for me though, it was Night of the Living Dead that really grabbed me. The way its presented, its music and filming style look fantastic in the dark.

Was you expecting something else, Frankie?

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Well, perhaps a little more specificity.

I've never seen the film and wonder why I should enjoy zombies chomping on intestines as a metaphor for declining civilization.

"fantastic in the dark" doesn't really give me what I'm looking for.

And I'm not just being an ass. If you really think this is a good film, I'd be glad to hear why.

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Frankie, I remember our conversation in the Oscar Winners thread, posts 21 through to 25 where we discuss Night of the Living Dead, and how you wanted me to make a case for the movie which you had no intention of seeing.

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
OK, I tried, once again, and I think probably for the last time.

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Frank Hale
Feb 5 2018, 03:05 PM
OK, I tried, once again, and I think probably for the last time.

Now you know not to do this kinda thing again. It took you two times to learn, but you got there in the end.

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
You are absolutely correct young man, and I really apologize.

The floor is yours. Make good use of it.

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Jazzy, from the George Romero thread on July 22, 2017, I wrote the following:

Dawn of the Dead was a good movie, for me though, it was Night of the Living Dead that really grabbed me. The way its presented, its music and filming style look fantastic in the dark.

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
MovieMan
Feb 5 2018, 01:44 PM
Hey Jazzy, what is it about Night Of The Living Dead that you don't like?
I saw a lot of horror films when I was young. I just don't find the whole genre very interesting any more. The films seem mostly gimmicky to me and haven't changed much since I was a kid except for the level of gore and nudity. I only have so much time to watch movies and there are other things that I want to spend my time on besides horror films. Occasionally I do go back and watch one of the real classics, like the Universal horrors but horror in general is something I have little interest in.

By the way, I have seen NOTLD and it did nothing for me. I found it rather stupid and not particularly scary. The last horror movie that impressed me was Carrie with Sissy Spacek. I may revisit that some time. Rosemary's Baby is also worth another look too but I'll skip all the slasher and zombie gore stuff period.
TANSTAAFL!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Poll Vault & Rant Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply