Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Another Roy Rogers blu ray; Trigger Jr.
Topic Started: Feb 18 2018, 08:01 PM (520 Views)
Don Diego
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Kino is releasing another Roy Rogers film on blu ray Trigger Jr. is coming mid April
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, and on that same day, Kino is releasing a Blu-ray of Singing Guns with Vaughn Monroe(!), Ward Bond and Walter Brennan, 1950. Never hoid o' it. Anybody seen it?
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Bert Greene
[ *  *  * ]
I've seen "Singing Guns" (1950), but it was about 35 years ago, and I honestly don't remember much about it. I'm fairly interested in revisiting it, when Kino's disc comes out. It's one of those things that I might either find 'hokey and endearing' or 'hokey and cornball.' Hard to predict. I naturally hope for the former. I sometimes get a little annoyed at Republic's use of that static-screen back-projection that they liberally used around the time of this film.

Colorist
[ *  *  * ]
As far as SINGING GUNS goes, don't forget the drop-dead gorgeous Ella Raines!

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Singing Guns was a staple on Encore's Western channel for years, and it's a pretty good western in gorgeous Republic TruColor. Monroe followed this one up with The Toughest Man in Arizona also in TruColor 2 years later. This one also was shown on the Western Channel.
Barcroft
Edited by Barcroft, Mar 4 2018, 12:32 PM.

outerlimit
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Gorgeous Republic Trucolor?

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
outerlimit,
Absolutely, check any Republic color film to cinecolor prints like the Randolph Scott Columbia's of the late 40's and you'll see why I think it gorgeous.............
Every Studio had their own version of Technicolor, TruColor happened to be Republic's.
Barcroft

outerlimit
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Barcroft.
So was Trucolor made by Technicolor or just a similar process to Technicolor?
I never thought much of Cinecolor or Super Cinecolor.
Many of the Trucolor movies got printed onto black and white stock for showing on early TV and found their way onto VHS and DVD. It seems we have sadly missed being able to enjoy it as a result.

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
outerlimit,
As far as I know TruColor was an in house product developed by CFI (Consolidated Film Industries) that started out as MagnaColor going all the way back to The Bold Caballero released in 1936. Cinecolor and Super Cinecolor tend to show a lot of green and red where with TruColor you get a wider spectrum of colors.
Barcroft

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Trucolor, like Cinecolor, was a 2-color process. Technicolor had a patent on the 3-color approach. However, patents run out AND Eastman came up with a totally different approach which represented the full palette & was a lot cheaper than the Technicolor approach. Even Technicolor no longer uses their old method (which produced bigger than life colors back in the 30's & 40's).
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The early versions of EastmanColor turned out to be very unstable and color fading and other problems surfaced as the film aged. It was certainly cheaper but had serious archiving issues. It's one of the reasons that many '50s and '60s films have required extensive (and expensive) restoration efforts.

The studios that used EastmanColor got to relabel it as if it were their own internally developed product. So we got WarnerColor and Metrocolor and the like. They were all EastmanColor.
TANSTAAFL!

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Ahhhh, we forgot Ansco Color which came out about the same time as Eastman & was probably similar in approach. Trucolor also became a 3-color process in the early fifties.

Back when the films were first seen in theaters, I really couldn't see much difference between Cinecolor & Trucolor. Gabby Hayes' beard always seemed to have a nimbus of turquoise around it in either system.

Three color Technicolor didn't materialize until the early thirties. THE KING OF JAZZ was filmed in the early 2-color Technicolor approach.

Wikipedia has a page devoted to all of the film color processes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_color_film_systems
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outerlimit
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I recall reading that Technicolor is no more, due to the digital age.
I loved Technicolor with its intense saturation. Modern films with their often dim colors annoy me.Look at Darkest Hour......they were dark times and people used low wattage bulbs but it was never as dim as that (I am told)!

« Previous Topic · Tumbleweed Terrace · Next Topic »
Add Reply