Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is Rock 'n Roll dead?
Topic Started: Feb 19 2018, 06:56 PM (344 Views)
The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Rock has Aged
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Well, what's your take, Mr. Bats?

I've always pretty much hated rock 'n' roll, so any time it wants to die is OK with me. Trouble is, I hate hip-hop even worse.

Is civilization doomed? (I mean apart from the current political situation.)

Tarzan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Unlike Mr. Hale, I've always have a great love for rock 'n' roll, but I also don't have a whole lot of appreciation for hip hop. Maybe it's a generational thing and I've become my parents! Musical tastes change as time progresses and the culture evolves. I don't think rock music is or will ever be "dead"; it just will never be as dominant as it once was. Artists old and new will still record and tour, and fans will buy the music and attend the concerts, but all in dwindling numbers. Rock will become a niche genre, say like big band music.

Now excuse me while I put on The Who's "Live at Leeds" and turn it up to eleven :D
Don't sweat the small stuff kid, or you'll go bald early!

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yawwwwn....
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bert Greene
[ *  *  * ]
So as to prevent Frank from being branded a solitary oddball, I'll also come clean and state that I never had any interest in rock-n-roll. Oh, I guess I had a few RnR singles, back in my earliest days, when I was seven or eight years old and had my own personal kiddie-type phonograph. Used to pick up 45s and 78s almost exclusively from neighborhood garage sales back then. Probably a nickel a piece. Remember getting a few semi-RnR items, like some 45rpm of a rockabilly-ish tune called "I Can't Find the Doorknob" on a label going by the simple name of "D" Records.

But ultimately what grabbed me more were some discs by Pete Dailey's Chicagoans on Capitol, along with some Les Brown and Mary Ford, and also some Decca discs of Gordon Jenkins' lush-sounding orchestra (which sounded like somber 'old movie' music to my young ears). Plus, a number of old 78s, like Peggy Lee singing "Why Don't You Do Right" with Benny Goodman's orchestra. By the time I was in junior-high, I'd put my late great-grandmother's Victrola in my room, and often listened to its accompanying collection of early-1920s acoustic discs of Joseph C. Smith and Paul Whiteman and the like. Anyway, my tastes just never veered towards rock. Always sounded too repetitive, too abrasive. I preferred jazz with its improvised solos, or dance-bands with tricky arrangements. And I've never changed, although my CD-collection exploded in size over the years.

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
A Canadian writer who doesn't mention Rush should be relegated to writing about the music of the Archies. Maybe Rush didn't fit the writer's agenda.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

mort bakaprevski
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Bert Greene
Feb 20 2018, 08:40 PM
...... along with some Les Brown and Mary Ford ....
I always liked Les Paul & Doris Day (or was it Lucy Ann Polk??) ^o)
"Nov Shmoz Ka Pop."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Since when the fuck did Paul Simon ever play "rock and roll" anyway? Hey Little Schoolgirl?

What a stupid article.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

« Previous Topic · Balcony Jukebox · Next Topic »
Add Reply