Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Coco (2017)
Topic Started: Mar 4 2018, 08:11 AM (245 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Coco (2017) Dir. Lee Unkrich
Walt Disney/Pixar
105 min. / Color / 2.39:1

A little boy who idolizes his long-dead relative, a singing cowboy in Mexican movies, accidentally joins him in the Land of the Dead and needs his help to get outta there and back to the Land of the Living on the Day of the Dead, but there are some problems and issues along the way.

A beautiful film, as colorful and gorgeous to look at as those balloons in Up. It's the first big-budget American film with an all Latino (voice) cast, the songs (which are sparse) are beautiful, and the background music - a practically non-stop bed of various styles and tempos of Mexican music - is wonderful.

Miguel's family are shoemakers who forbid music ever since his great-great-grandfather ran away to become a musician, leaving his wife and infant daughter Coco behind, and never came back. Coco is now a very, very old lady and the last remaining link from the old to the new in a film about never forgetting the old.

Balconeers will enjoy the B&W snippets of "Mexico's greatest musical star" Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt), singing and punching villains in his "old movies." A couple of deceased but highly beloved Mexican real-life celebrities make cameo appearances in the Land of the Dead, a wonderful touch.

Million-dollar Dialog:

Land of the Dead Customs Clerk, noticing Miguel's (living) dog: "I am terribly allergic!"
Miguel: "But Dante doesn't have any hair."
Clerk, sneezing: "And I don't have a nose and yet here we are."

I watched this with my precious, beloved best friends the Twins and we all cried rivers of tears through the last 20 minutes of the film, so take that as you will.

Highly respectful to Mexican culture and highly recommended. We loved it.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JazzGuyy
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Great movie. Watched iit last night in its UHD glory. The extras were also fascinating and mostly informative. One of the best Disney/Pixar releases ever. Right up there with Toy Story 1.
TANSTAAFL!

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

You've compared it with UP and TOY STORY, two of my animated favourites. Will definitely check this out.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

« Previous Topic · Name that 'toon! · Next Topic »
Add Reply