Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My three votes for Disc o' the Month include...
Danger Signal 0 (0%)
Fangs of the Living Dead 0 (0%)
Hammer Films Double Features Vol. 3 and Vol. 4 1 (2.5%)
Hotel Berlin 0 (0%)
Murder in the Big House 0 (0%)
Topaze 1 (2.5%)
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt 0 (0%)
A Trip to the Moon 1 (2.5%)
While the City Sleeps 1 (2.5%)
The Crazies 0 (0%)
John Alton Film Noir Collection 1 (2.5%)
The Black Scorpion 1 (2.5%)
Highway Dragnet 2 (5%)
It's the Old Army Game and Running Wild 4 (10%)
The Passion of Joan of Arc 3 (7.5%)
Stingaree 0 (0%)
Donít Bother to Knock 4 (10%)
Underworld U.S.A. 2 (5%)
The Egg and I 0 (0%)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943) 4 (10%)
Joan of Arc (1948) 4 (10%)
King of Jazz 8 (20%)
Outer Limits: Season 1 2 (5%)
Sacha Guitry: Four Films 1936-1938 1 (2.5%)
The Thrill of It All 0 (0%)
Total Votes: 40
Disc of the Month; March, 2018
Topic Started: Mar 4 2018, 11:22 AM (1,556 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Well, hello again! Lots of stuff this month to consider. Pick three and vote, you eligible voter, you. Last month's winner was the Criterion Night of the Living Dead.

More info about these and other new releases can be proudly found up at http://inthebalcony.com/.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Lots of good pickings this month, definitely considering all of these:

Danger Signal
Murder in the Big House
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
A Trip to the Moon
While the City Sleeps
John Alton Film Noir Collection
The Black Scorpion
Highway Dragnet
It's the Old Army Game and Running Wild
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Stingaree
Donít Bother to Knock
Underworld U.S.A.
King of Jazz
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I think "King of Jazz" is the clear winner.

However, I'm also very keen on "Murder in the Big House", a WB "B" that I have been waiting about 55 years to see again. It may turn out to be terrible now (no letters please), but I sure remember it from one WCBS Saturday afternoon showing I happened to catch.

Bert Greene
[ *  *  * ]
Good month for me, after a relative dry-spell. I'm getting the two WC Fields silents, "The King of Jazz," and "Highway Dragnet." I've seen them all, but the prospect of revisiting them in high-definition Blu-ray quality is pretty darned exciting.

April is starting to look pretty decent as well.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Hammer double-features are in and I'll be reviewing 'em this weekend, along with some of the Olive and other stuff received recently

Mr. Hale has convinced me to pick up Murder in the Big House; Dimple Records can get it for me for $16 (or $8 if I use one of my half-off coupons).

The John Alton Film Noir Collection looks good and is available in the "deluxe" editions with separate packaging and booklets but for about half that (less than $30 at Dimple) you can just get the three films, which is what I want.

Yes to Black Scorpion and Highway Dragnet but y'know, the two Fields films... I'll wait until they're on sale. I have a DVD of Old Army Game already.

Passion of Joan of Arc is a definite, but I'll wait for the Criterion half-off sale.

Stingaree is a possibility (in a lesser month, a definite) and I'm very interested to see For Whom the Bell Tolls.

King of Jazz is a must and if I use one of my precious coupons, my cost at Dimple will be $14.50.

Outer Limits: Season 1 - chaaaaa!

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Frank Hale
[ *  *  * ]
Well, Gravy, I thought "Find the Blackmailer" was going to be a major re-discovery also, and it wasn't, so you might want to hold off on that coupon until I can re-assess.

However, Halliwell does seem to think "Murder..." was OK, and that it was good enough to be re-issued a few years later (no doubt mostly because newcomer Van Johnson made a splash, although I can't even remember him being in the film.)

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
What??? More votes for Bergman's Joan of Arc than for The Passion of Joan of Arc? The decline of western civilization.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

Many of us, well me, have Passion of Joan of Arc on DVD, from the original Criterion release. Not in a rush to upgrade, but may at the B&N sale.

But, then again, I didn't vote for Bergman's version, either.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Mar 9 2018, 04:19 AM
What??? More votes for Bergman's Joan of Arc than for The Passion of Joan of Arc? The decline of western civilization.
A bigger decline in western civilisation is evident when a movie expert can't decide in which category to place Lawrence of Arabia.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
MovieMan
Mar 10 2018, 12:18 PM
]A bigger decline in western civilisation is evident when a movie expert can't decide in which category to place Lawrence of Arabia.
Never heard of it.

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 10 2018, 04:55 PM
MovieMan
Mar 10 2018, 12:18 PM
]A bigger decline in western civilisation is evident when a movie expert can't decide in which category to place Lawrence of Arabia.
Never heard of it.
So I guess you were also telling lies when you said you walked in on your roommate watching it, the same roommate that said they didn't get what the movie meant even though they fell asleep part way through viewing.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Say, I don't suppose it's a Monogram Picture, is it?

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 11 2018, 10:03 AM
Say, I don't suppose it's a Monogram Picture, is it?
Absolutely not, that movie was released in 1962 on a big budget whereas Monogram Pictures were made between 1931 to 1953 and relied on low budgets.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Wow, you should run this website. I don't know any of this stuff. Are any of the Dead End Kids in it?

MovieMan
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 11 2018, 04:02 PM
Wow, you should run this website. I don't any of this stuff. Are any of the Dead End Kids in it?
I've been thinking about taking over this site for a while now, and no, there are no Dead End Kids in Lawrence of Arabia.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Poll Vault & Rant Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply