Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lost Sound Serial
Topic Started: Mar 7 2018, 02:23 PM (1,199 Views)
schaumburgstew
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
According to the Serial Squadron, they are in the process or restoring a lost sound serial. Does anybody have any idea as to what serial it is?
The last 6 chapters of Clancy of the Mounted? A release of the recently screened Jungle Mystery? Or could it be a different old Universal like Fingerprints?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Don Diego
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
schaumburgstew
Mar 7 2018, 02:23 PM
According to the Serial Squadron, they are in the process or restoring a lost sound serial. Does anybody have any idea as to what serial it is?
The last 6 chapters of Clancy of the Mounted? A release of the recently screened Jungle Mystery? Or could it be a different old Universal like Fingerprints?
They may be referring to Desert Hawk and Black Arrow - not quite lost be could use an upgraded version
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

HAWKEYE
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang
[ *  * ]
In 2012, Hermitage Hill Media came out, with a gorgeous print, of "Desert Hawk", and a very good copy, of "Black Arrow".

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I have no idea which serial it is, but my guess is that it is a Universal, mainly because the only other unavailable sound serials are VOICE FROM THE SKY and TARZAN THE FEARLESS. He knows the location of four reels of VOICE, and he did a reconstruction of TARZAN, so they wouldn't be secret. DETECTIVE LLOYD or HEROES OF THE FLAMES would be my best guess.
Someone had a print of VOICE FROM THE SKY, but it looks like all but those four reels have disintegrated. I did see a couple of film grabs from it.

Grood is planning to release DESERT HAWK and BLACK ARROW, I assume they are from the same masters as Hermitage Hill.
Honest and Lovable Pa Stark

riddlerider
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Many, many, many years ago I was told by a quasi-reliable source that Universal's 1931 serial Danger Island used to be available in 16mm from a rental library.

Normally I would say there was no way Grood could get Jungle Mystery out of Universal. But then, I found a way to get the three Shadow shorts and Perils of Pauline out of Universal, so anything's possible.

I noticed we've become quite liberal in our definition of "lost" serials. Desert Hawk and Black Arrow lost? I mean, they probably should be, especially the latter, but they've always been around. Just because something isn't readily available from bootleggers and gray-market distributors doesn't make it lost, or even rare. Scarce, maybe.

And Pa, what the fuck do I have to do to convince you that Heroes of the Flames is not and never has been a lost serial? How many times do I have to remind you that I saw it and knew the guy who owned the print?

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
riddlerider
Mar 8 2018, 08:06 PM

And Pa, what the fuck do I have to do to convince you that Heroes of the Flames is not and never has been a lost serial? How many times do I have to remind you that I saw it and knew the guy who owned the print?
Sorry, Riddle Rider, what I meant was that it isn't generally available. I have heard from several people about that print of HEROES OF THE FLAMES. Somewhere on some board I read that DETECTIVE LLOYD was shown on British television many years ago.

turan38
[ *  *  * ]
I'm sure I've written this before - but I remember looking through a Swank Films rental catalog at the library - probably in the late 'seventies, early 'eighties - and they listed several early Universal serials in 16mm. While memory is fallible, my recollection is that "Spell of the Circus" was among the titles listed.

Barcroft
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
To reiterate a point made by Riddle Rider about Heroes of the Flames, Back in the 70's Universal released to TV 3 serials: Gordon of Ghost City, The Vanishing Shadow the Hero of the Flames along with a group of Pre-code films. When I was still living in Baltimore Channel 45 showed these movies along with the serials. I got a chance to see parts of all 3 when they were shown. Eric Stedman released The Vanishing Shadow and a couple of grey market dealers released Gordon of Ghost City along with Universal who released Buck Jones westerns and included a chapter in each set but stopped after 4 sets. For some reason Heroes of the Flames never saw the light of day.
Barcroft

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
A reminder: if anyone sends me a Grood serial, I will burn copies and mail them to any Balconeer, gratis.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Jerry Blake
[ *  *  * ]
The Desert Hawk is on my short list of best Columbia serials (which admittedly isn't very long); would love to see the Hermitage Hill print (which I've only seen in snippets on Youtube) become more broadly available. I also think Black Arrow is underrated (to my mind, the only total loss from the post-Horne, pre-Katzman era at Columbia is The Monster and the Ape) and would be happy to see it in better shape. Neither serial remotely qualifies as "lost," however--and Grood is hawking his DVD releases of them separately from his touting of the lost-serial release.

In re Danger Island, at least one episode did run on a Pennsylvania television station during the 1980s; Bill Stedman recorded the last few seconds of that episode on VHS and has the frame grabs to prove it in his Movie Serial Companion book--so I would tend to believe RR's source as to that serial once being available somewhere.

As for Grood's discovery, I would assume (like everyone else) that it has to be one of the missing Universals, unless this is just an oblique way of plugging his release of the surviving fragments of The Voice from the Sky.

outerlimit
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Pa Stark
Mar 8 2018, 11:41 PM
riddlerider
Mar 8 2018, 08:06 PM

Sorry, Riddle Rider, what I meant was that it isn't generally available. I have heard from several people about that print of HEROES OF THE FLAMES. Somewhere on some board I read that DETECTIVE LLOYD was shown on British television many years ago.
Yes, Pa Stark. Detective LLoyd was shown on British TV in around 1969.It was a good print ond was quite hokey fun.It always began with a narrator addressing you as "Friends".The channel was a branch of the commercial ITV network called Harlech TV (thats Welsh) and serial afficionados later quizzed them as to what happened to their print and nobody seemed to know.In those days it was probably on 16mm, so who knows if it survived and awaits discovery and/or restoration.

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Jerry Blake
Mar 10 2018, 05:35 AM

As for Grood's discovery, I would assume (like everyone else) that it has to be one of the missing Universals, unless this is just an oblique way of plugging his release of the surviving fragments of The Voice from the Sky.
I'm pretty sure it would have to be one of the Universal's, because he told me about finding some of VOICE FROM THE SKY, but didn't tell me what this lost serial's title is. If it turns out to be HEROES OF THE FLAMES, I will have to point out to Grood, that according to Riddle Rider it doesn't qualify as a lost serial, and he will have to find another one instead. :P :D ;)

turan38
[ *  *  * ]
On the Squadron Facebook page the "lost" is enclosed in quotes - which probably means it's not actually a lost serial but one that has not been available.

AndyFish
Member Avatar
Movie Watcha Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
turan38
Mar 13 2018, 07:26 PM
On the Squadron Facebook page the "lost" is enclosed in quotes - which probably means it's not actually a lost serial but one that has not been available.
That's how it is on the webpage too.
www.andytfish.com

Pa Stark
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
One possibility that came to mind was DETECTIVE LLOYD, because it was shown on British TV years ago, but Grood told me that was not it. A copy of a lost silent serial was supposed to have been found in England, and for sale at a cheap price, but Grood was suspicious of how they wouldn't send him any film grabs to see what they had, and if the print is good quality, so he backed off for now.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Continued Next Week · Next Topic »
Add Reply