Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 05:55 PM (263 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) Dir. Joss Whedon
Marvel/Disney
141 min. / Color / 2.39:1

Mighty Marvel Movie Society #011

Too much plot to go into; can't I just say there's a lot of super-heroes fighting each other and then teaming up to take on the villain? No? Well, I tried.

Using one of Loki's weapons, HYDRA (or possibly H.Y.D.R.A. or Hydra or Hi, How ya Doin'?) is turning people into super-villains, and so the Avengers - having enough trouble on their hands, thank you - attack the place, steal Loki's weapon, and beat everybody up, although they have a hard time with the super-fast guy who isn't the Flash (his name is Quicksilver or possibly Silverfish, something like that, although they don't mention it in the movie) and an even harder time with the non-Flash's sister, a scarlet witch named the Scarlet Witch (which I know because Balconeer Batman - no relation to... well, you know... told me after I didn't recognize her during my review of the previous Avengers picture and SAY, let's keep going, shall we?). Where was I? Oh, right. Iron Man decides as a prank to use the Loki thing to create a super-computer to help keep the world safe so the Avengers can take a vacation once in a while (and a couple of 'em need one: Black Widow and the Hulk are becomin' QUITE the friends, if you know what I mean). Naturally, this being a science-fiction picture, the super-computer (named Ultron) figures that the only way to keep the world safe is to destroy humankind (I can see his point, actually) and so the Avengers eschew the vacation to tackle the Ultron.

I thought it was an okay movie, too many heroes, too much fighting, but what th' heck, nobody wants to see a Marvel movie adapted from The Tempest, do they?

Million-dollar Dialog:
Cap'n America: "I miss the days when the weirdest thing science ever created was ME."

I didn't like it as much as the first Avengers picture, and the darn film should've been preceded with somebody (maybe Edward Van Sloan, Jr.) coming out to tell the audience, "It's gonna drive you crazy, so we'll just tell you right now so that you don't have to pause the movie and google it: that's James Spader as the slimy voice of Ultron the super-computer. Okay, enjoy the picture!"

None of the sidekicks are present this time, shoehorned out by the sheer number of heroes; I liked the villain and still think the Hulk is the most interesting one of the heroes (not counting Scarlett Johansson's body) and Hawkeye is surprisingly not as dull as you'd think he'd be. The Vision, on the other hand, is every bit as dull as I would think he'd be.

That's pretty much all I have to say about this film, except that the battle between Hulk and Iron Man (in Hulk-proof armor) was worthy but drowned out by all the other fighting in the picture. These things are not bad movies and they're crowd pleasers but a lot fewer heroes would be a lot more interesting to THIS watcher.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
If your home video audience lacks the refined taste necessary to appreciate a real serial, we now have a bunch of franchises that could work as weekly chapter plays:

-- The "Marvel Universe" films, beginning with "Iron Man"

-- Haven't seen any of the "DC Universe" movies, but only fair to include them (Myself, I'll stick to the "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited" animated series. Everything we wished the 60s Saturday mornings would be, plus well-plotted longterm arcs)

-- The Harry Potter series, of course

-- Star Wars (if the next one is decent and you skip the prequels)

-- James Bond, from the very beginning (no cliffhanger endings, but ample fights, explosions, and death traps. And way more pulchritude than even "Flash Gordon").

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks!

I am watchin' the Marvel movies (nearly all of them for the first time) in order. Of the DC movies, other than the three Christian Bale movies, which are classics, I hated Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman and liked Wonder Woman and haven't seen JLA or Suicide Squad.

The eight Harry Potter movies are probably the Blu-rays I have that are most borrowed for marathons.

I watch the Bond films in order occasionally, but skip over the entire Moore and Brosnan eras.

I've never watched the Star Wars films in any sort of marathon or retrospective but if I did, I'd surely skip the prequels, too.

I also have the three recent Star Trek (saw the first two, liked 'em) and Planet o' the Apes (saw the first one, liked it) movies on the shelf. And more Ice Age movies than I can shake a glacier at.

"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]

I've just started watching all the Star Wars films, chronologically for the first time, and I don't know if I've mellowed with age or what, but the prequels aren't nearly as bad as I remembered.

They aren't great, but decent.

I'm not a big Bond fan, but aren't you ignoring like 2/3 of that series?

The new Star Trek films are fun, but about as far from being "Star Trek" as possible without renaming Capt. Kirk to Han Solo.

Still need to see the third of the new PotA films. Loved the first two.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

Sgt Saturn
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Laughing Gravy
Mar 12 2018, 05:55 PM
I thought it was an okay movie, too many heroes, too much fighting, but what th' heck, nobody wants to see a Marvel movie adapted from The Tempest, do they?
A few decades ago, Marvel did a funny book adaption of Wagner's Die Walkuere (never identified as such) starring the Mighty Thor; so, The Tempest would not be the weirdest thing imaginable.
The Ol' Sarge

« Previous Topic · From the Funny Pages · Next Topic »
Add Reply