Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Her Temporary Prince; Self-published novel by Donald B Benson (aka CliffClaven aka Felix the Movie Cat)
Topic Started: Mar 24 2018, 01:49 PM (704 Views)
CliffClaven
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Gratuitous self-promotion. I wrote a Comic Romantic Historic Adventure Farce, and it's available as an ebook from Amazon, iBooks, and Kobo ... cheap! (B&N and other outlets in the coming weeks)

It's set in 1925, and the alert ITB denizen will soon recognize the basic plot from "Long Fliv the King". The hero is named Charley Dill and he has a buddy named Max Warfield, although anxious young Max bears little resemblance to Mr. Davidson. The really alert reader will spot a Fritz Lang mastermind under an alias, and clever allusions to a Sherlock Holmes story.

Much of the action takes place in the Kingdom of Ruritania, scene of "Prisoner of Zenda" and "Rupert of Hentzau". The titular prisoner is now the dying King; the heroic Rassandyll and the tragic Madame de Mauban, still sprightly, also figure in the proceedings.

The tale is mostly about two heroines with only one thing in common: Charley Dill.

Jane Bellwether, the daughter of a Manhattan department store magnate, falls in love with stubbornly sensible accountant Charley. But her mother demands that she marry a man of rank (Yes, we know you've seen that one).

Flavia, the headstrong and scandalous Crown Princess of Ruritania, must prove herself respectable and capable to claim the throne and save her people from machinations of a ruthless financial syndicate. That includes acquiring a suitable (and temporary) husband.

The Princess and Jane cross paths and cut a deal. Charley is bailed from the brig of a transatlantic liner and forced into a royal shipboard wedding.

Intrigues, seductions, explosions (literal and figurative), Ballyhoo, harrowing escapes, mafiosi, aeroplanes, murders, beer (there is no Prohibition in Ruritania), the obligatory duel, and a thrilling climax as the lives of Jane, Charley, and Princess Flavia -- and quite possibly the future of Europe -- hang in the balance.

You'll laugh! You'll gasp! You'll sigh! Maybe not when intended, but you will.

Sample chapters available at Amazon and GoodReads.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
... I guess everybody's busy reading it ...

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
... Now available at Barnes&Noble.com ...
(crickets)

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
... and at Scribd.com ...

Get on the bandwagon! Nearly one dozen ebooks sold!

It's 223,000 words long, so you're getting serious literary value at a bargain price. Think of it as a Mill Creek collection with high resolution throughout.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
My weekly shameless plug for myself.

This may be the only novel published in 2018 that namechecks Snitz Edwards (next to last chapter, so patience is required).

Amazon sales have soared to fourteen copies. Hurry before we run out of pixels!

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
One week later and we're up to ... 15 copies sold!

Order now and avoid the inevitable crush of last-minute summer-reading shoppers! Just $2.99 for a tale that includes shipboard romance, a royal ball, misread signals on a hammock, an outdoor screening of "The Mark of Zorro", explosions both literal and figurative, numerous Ben Franklin quotations and much, much more.

HER TEMPORARY PRINCE ... available now at various vendors of virtual verbiage!

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Having sold fifteen copies to date, I'm stepping up my promotional campaign with this
:) SPECIAL BALCONEER OFFER! :)

If you read HER TEMPORARY PRINCE and feel you did NOT get your $2.99's worth, I will personally explain why it's your own fault.

This splendid ebook is available now at Amazon, Barnesandnoble.com, Apple iBooks, Scribd.com and further floggers of fine fiction.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I know you're out there. I can hear you breathing.

Take a look at the free sample chapters on the bookselling sites. Then maybe come back and make a snarky comment or two.

If this doesn't work I might resort to provocative references to "Lawrence of Arabia", Lippert pictures, and Grood.

Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
Member Avatar
Sapient Balconeer
[ *  *  * ]
CliffClaven
May 2 2018, 11:09 PM
That was me. Unfortunately I haven't read the thing AND the new Stephen King book arrived yesterday and that moved your book down to uhm, some spot below Mr. King's new book.

I did really buy your book via my Kindle app though.
It's like Rodney King used to say, "Can't we all get a bong."

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Stony Brooke da Mesquiteer
May 23 2018, 03:29 AM
CliffClaven
May 2 2018, 11:09 PM
That was me. Unfortunately I haven't read the thing AND the new Stephen King book arrived yesterday and that moved your book down to uhm, some spot below Mr. King's new book.

I did really buy your book via my Kindle app though.
Thanks! I only wish I were following a lesser writer -- It's like my community theater days, where I'd wobble through an audition right after the guy who nailed "The Impossible Dream".

If your list includes a memoir by any entertainer under forty, slot me in right after him/her.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
To promote my self-published vanity project novel, I have created what the kids call a "meme". Mayhap it will go virulent.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: HTP_sound_and_basic.002.jpeg (272.47 KB)

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Another shameless plug for my self-published vanity project ebook. This time, two jpegs for twice the viralosity.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: More_views_of_love.jpeg (343.82 KB)
Attachments: HTP_Jane_lessons.jpeg (283.5 KB)

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Looking for drama, excitement, and all-around excellence in your summer reading? Then click over to the COMICS STUFF thread and learn about Andy Fish's new BLACKWOOD comic.

But eccentric movie buffs -- and I know a few haunt these precincts --might also enjoy HER TEMPORARY PRINCE, my self-published vanity project eBook. Just $2.99 at Amazon, iTunes, Barnesandnoble.com, Scribd.com and other virtual vendors of various volumes.

More collectible jpegs attached. Share with people you like or don't like, depending on how it strikes you.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: HTP_Will_Rogers.jpeg (460.87 KB)
Attachments: HTP_First_Date.jpeg (464.93 KB)
Edited by CliffClaven, Jun 8 2018, 10:46 AM.

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Have I no shame? Not really. More digital shillerizing for my self-published vanity eBook!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: HTP_Margot_Quotes.jpeg (402.87 KB)
Attachments: HTP_Watchcries.jpeg (439.46 KB)

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Meanwhile ...
Attached to this post:
Attachments: HTP_Plottage.jpeg (448.16 KB)
Attachments: HTP_Pop_Quotes.jpeg (374.74 KB)
Attachments: HTP_Regal_Remarks.jpeg (384.2 KB)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Ink on Yer Trigger Finger · Next Topic »
Add Reply