Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deadline—U.S.A. (1952)
Topic Started: May 6 2018, 01:31 PM (145 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Deadline—U.S.A. (1952) Written & Directed by Richard Brooks

20th Century Fox
87 min. / B&W / 1.37:1
Blu-ray: Kino Lorber

Bogart is the tough, no-nonsense editor of a big-city paper famous for not rolling around in the sewers with yellow journalism, but when the paper is sold out from under him and has only three days before it's folded by a competitor, he launches a whirlwind expose of a local mobster - and discovers that the mucky nude body of a woman wrapped in a fur coat, just fished out of the bay, has something very much to do with the case he's covering. Oh, and meanwhile he's trying to get back together with ex-wife Kim Hunter before she remarries.

Great movie - this is one of those things I wish somebody'd told me about before. What a cast! Virtually EVERYBODY is familiar, from such well-knowns as Ethel Barrymore, Jim Backus, Ed Begley, and Paul Stewart to guys I remember from playing thugs on Superman. Martin Gabel, whom we'd just seen in Marnie, is the gangster.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Bogie, looking at the picture of his ex-wife's fiance: "I don't like him. I"ll think of a reason later."

Bogie, to his team: "A free press, like a free life, is always in danger."

Amen.

Great movie - don't listen to the any lukewarm reviews you might read. Funny thing, Fox was dead set against the "washed up" Bogart - they wanted Gregory Peck. Writer/Director Brooks was an old friend of Bogie's and insisted, though - and his old pal was just back from shooting a little something called The African Queen and was glad to have a film that was studio-set-bound.

Gorgeous print on the Kino Blu-ray. A keeper.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
LG: "Great movie - this is one of those things I wish somebody'd told me about before."

Well, I don't expect you to be an elephant, but we have talked about this film before.

Me, "Watcha Buyin'" thread 8/7/16:

I pounced on "Deadline - U.S.A." as soon as it came in, because I had warm memories from Saturday Night at the Movies in the 60's.

It held up very well, and I think you will enjoy it, LG. My favorite pix always involve honest, crusading types, and this is one in spades.

At this late date, I confess I found Kim Hunter's relationship with Bogie a shade unconvincing (even though Miss Bacall was a couple of years younger in real life), and Martin Gabel's gangster a bit too intelligent.

But otherwise, lots of good performances by old pros. Ed Begley and Ethel Barrymore are especially effective.

I also mentioned "No Highway in the Sky" in the same post, and I think you would like that one also.

IMO a lot of the early 50's TCF films in that Saturday Night at the Movies series I alluded to have really held their own.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before, but here's a list of the TCF films in that series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBC_Saturday_Night_at_the_Movies_titles

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Duly noted, and I've started a "recommended" addition to my in-house spreadsheet. Thank you.

I encourage everybody to start a thread if they love a film, by the way - even if it's only "Hey, I saw this once and I really liked it. I see it's coming to Blu-ray next month."
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh, yeah, and as you know, I love having people to root for - and this movie has about 100 of 'em. That "wake" for the newspaper just killed me.

« Previous Topic · Serious Stuff · Next Topic »
Add Reply