Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Million Eyes of Sumuru (1967)
Topic Started: May 13 2018, 07:23 AM (146 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

The Million Eyes of Sumuru (1967) Dir. Lindsay Shonteff
American International Pictures
79 min. / Technicolor / Techniscope / 2.35:1
Blu-ray: Blue Underground

Randy, affable American CIA agents George Nader(!) and Frankie Avalon(!!) are recruited by British spymaster Wilfrid Hyde-White to investigate the Hong Kong murder of a secretary that has implications on world peace; the trail leads to Shirley Eaton, who - having survived being suffocated in gold body paint a couple of years earlier - now leads an all-female band intent on destroying male leaders, including Third World President Klaus Kinski, by turning them into stone. Can the, uh, good guys defeat her machinations and, um, save the world from all these beautiful women?

I'm surprised this movie isn't better known; great title, top-drawer AIP cast (sort of), and it's easy to take, to say the least, but then I always did like an army of bikini-clad women assassinating anyone who got in their way (one guy has his neck broken by a pair of iron thighs). Sumuru was the villainess of a series of novels by Sax Rohmer, which explains a lot (the same production team doing those Christopher Lee Fu Manchu movies made this in Hong Kong). And the idea of George Nader and Frankie Avalon as superspies is so goofy that the movie is inadvertently one of the funniest comedies AIP ever produced.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Frankie, as a woman disrobes to show she's not carrying any hidden weapons: "I wonder if this is where I'm supposed to sing."

Shirley Eaton looks weird as a brunette (and even weirder as an Asian) and she'd return for a sequel, believe it or not.

The Blu-ray from Blu-Underground is wonderful (and has that sequel, which I'm sure we'll get to sooner or later).
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The Cinematic Sewer · Next Topic »
Add Reply