Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ant-Man (2015)
Topic Started: May 19 2018, 08:40 PM (138 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Ant-Man (2015) Dir. Peyton Reed
Marvel/Disney
117 min. / color / 1.85:1

Mighty Marvel Movie Society #012

Dr. Hank Pym developed a super-secret shrinking suit and used it to fight a good fight against itsy-bitsy tiny evil as the Ant-Man, but it cost him his beloved wife when she forgot to turn it off and shrank away to Tiny-Beyond-Tiny Land. He got old and retired, but needs a new Ant-Man when his one-time protege duplicates the technology and is bent on using it for rottenness. The solution, believe it or not, is Paul Judd, a master thief ex-con with a heart of gold and a young daughter he's not s'posed to visit plus three cockeyed friends who are generally pretty bad at heists. Is the new Ant-Man big enough, or little enough, to fill Dr. Pym's wee tiny shoes? Pym's daughter doesn't think so, and she's in a huff anyway because SHE wants to be Ant-Man. Relationships are so complicated. Anyway, after having to duke it out with the Falcon to obtain some Stark technology, Ant-Man, Jr. comes face to face against (ready for this?) the Yellow Jacket. I kid you not, my friend.

I've seen too many bad to middlin' super-hero movies to not appreciate this one, which seems to set its sights more modestly (mostly because who the hell cares about Ant-Man, so they probably kept the budget down a bit) and, with Mr. Judd aboard, squeezed in a lot of extra laughs, not a bad thing. I'd call this a winner and good for the whole family. I'd heard it was pretty charming, and so it is, although the millions of CGI ants didn't add much to the proceedings in my estimation, maybe because I simply don't like ants. Remind me to never go see a Marvel movie called Spider in the Bathroom Man.

Million-dollar Dialog:

The daughter when daddy shows up at her birthday party unannounced: "Mommy's so happy you're here she choked on her drink!"

Buddy spotting an ant the size of a deer: "That's a messed-up looking dog."

Michael Douglas, of all people, is Hank Pym; I haven't seen him in a movie in decades (although I'm sure he's been in some) and it's a good part for him. Somebody named Evangeline Lilly is Pym's daughter, and she just couldn't BE any cuter - she's going to be the Wasp in the next movie, which apparently comes out just a few weeks from now (and, based on the obligatory post-credit sequence, Ant-Man is going to appear in the next film in the series, a third Cap'n America movie). But the highlight of the movie, by far, is the Ant-Man vs. Falcon battle. I for one never much enjoyed Marvel comics because the heroes always seemed to be bitching at each other or punching each other in the face, but this battle is a lot of fun and reminded me of The Atom and Hawkman (an actual DC comic book featuring both, at least for awhile). There's a lot of bonus material, but I only watched the gag reel (watch your filthy mouth around the kid, Paul) and a 15-min. "making of" fluff piece.

Granted, it's only a "comic book movie" but it's a good one and it's entertaining. I don't go see these things at the theatre unless it's an event (like Wonder Woman and The Black Panther) and the sequel can wait until I pick it up on a cheap used Blu-ray; that's typically how I watch these things.

ALSO ON THE PROGRAM

What else? An old Filmation cartoon from '67 featuring Ray Palmer as The Atom, battling the Invasion of the Beetle-Men. That's an itsy-bitsy super-hero I know about.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CliffClaven
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
In "Captain America: Civil War", Cap and Iron Man have a falling out over how far they let the government control them. In the inevitable battle Cap and Falcon pull in Ant Man, while Iron Man recruits the pre-"Homecoming" Spider-Man.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · From the Funny Pages · Next Topic »
Add Reply