Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Fury of the Congo (1951)
Topic Started: Jun 10 2018, 09:54 AM (105 Views)
Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Fury of the Congo (1951) Dir. William Berke
A Columbia Picture
Produced by Jungle Sam Katzman
69 min. / B&W / 1.37:1

DVD: Columbia Classics MOD

Villains are slaughtering an African tribe's sacred animals (horses with war paint on their flanks) for their glands, which are used to make a powerful narcotic. Unbeknownst to him, the "nice guy" Jungle Jim is leading into the jungle is actually the leader of the narcotics gang, which is why people keep ending up dead. A beautiful native woman will do her best to clue Jim in.

Well, it's not like one doesn't know what one is getting with a Jungle Jim picture, now, is it? There isn't an African to be found anywhere in the cast (most of the natives look Polynesian - the sarongs all the women wear don't help - and many speak with thick Hispanic accents) and while we're in the middle of Darkest Africa it was filmed in the exact same places (and from the exact same angles) as practically every B-western I've ever seen. If Jungle Jim and Lullaby Joslin passed each other on the road and nodded hello it wouldn't have surprised me one bit. Entertaining in its goofy way (a sandstorm pops up three times, and we do get a giant spider attempting to eat Mr. Jim) and if you can appreciate Johnny Weissmuller swimming - and who can't? - you'll find plenty of THAT. Lyle Talbot, Sherry Moreland, and William Henry are our supporting players.

Million-dollar Dialog:
Mr. Henry: "I thought chimps were SMART."
Mr. Jungle Jim: "Chimps are like people. Some are, some aren't."

Amen, J.J., Amen.

The print on the film and the accompanying trailer are so beautiful; it saddens me to think how many of these delightful B-movies and shorts are languishing in the vaults forever or at least until after we're all gone.

ALSO ON THE PROGRAM

For the kiddies, a trio of color cartoons. Magoo Goes West to find California but gets stuck in a car wash and thinks he's in a typhoon; one of the funnier of the Magoos. Then, when mice are tied to the railroad tracks by an evil cat, Mighty Mouse swoops in to stop The Silver Streak. Superman puts a stop to a crazy Indian mad scientist who wants Manhattan back for his tribe in Electric Earthquake, another wonderful Fleischer cartoon. And it was "Superman to the Rescue" in episode eight of Superman with Kirk Alyn. We finished off with a trailer to an upcoming feature, The Atomic Submarine. Sub-mar-WOW!
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tarzan
Member Avatar
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
It's a shame that there isn't a proper release of the Jungle Jim films on DVD or Blu-ray. I recorded them when AMC ran them several years ago (when they were more like TCM). I guess that I'll have to dig out my VHS to DVD recorder if I ever want these on DVD.

These films would be right up Millcreek Entertainment's alley. One can only hope.
Don't sweat the small stuff kid, or you'll go bald early!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Jungle Boogie! · Next Topic »
Add Reply