Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Balcony. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Plus, you'll be eligible for the monthly $1 million prize. (Not really.)

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938); Combined Thead
Topic Started: Feb 7 2006, 07:36 PM (139 Views)
Inspector Carr
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Over the past few weeks I have begun the long winded task of transferring my Vhs collection to DVD ( let me tell you being able to compress your film collection from an entire room of Vhs tapes to two shelves of binders is a miracle of modern science)

One of the recent transfers was a copy of the 1938 film "the Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and while watching it (or should I say checking in on it) it rekindled memories of seeing this film on local NYC television (quite often may I add) and the scenes of the murder in the cemetary by Injun Joe (Victor Jory) and his his attempting to get to Becky Thatcher in the Caves sent retro chills up my spine.
for some reason I never forgot the actor Victor Jory after that all those years ago.

another interesting fact about the film is that Turner broadcast it some years ago and the print was very washed out ( it was in color) in fact the color actually faded to the point of black and white. bizzare but interesting

anyone else remember this film?
"Life is a Crapshoot however you need a pair of dice to participate"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I loved this movie but have only seen it once in the last 10 or 15 years...that was either last year or the year before. I'm hoping they can get a good DVD put out someday of this film. Perhaps they can do a Mark Twain box set...this and Huckleberry Finn and The Prince and the Pauper and a few others. I know I'd buy that.

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Interestingly, today is Ann Gillis' 79th birthday. I came across this as I do a celebrity birthday report for a few e-mail lists. Ann played Becky Thatcher in that movie. She quit acting in the late 1940s, not being able to graduate to adult roles.

Chief Thunder Cloud
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I have "The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer" (1938) in my video library as well. It was one of the first vhs videos I purchased when I joined the "Columbia House Video Club" in the mid 80s.

It's a beautiful print. I recently had it transferred to DVD-R. The source that was used was from LaserDisc. The print is pristine. IMHO this is the best screen version of the story of Tom Sawyer.

Kindest Regards:

Ron McKnight.
"Chief Thunder Cloud"

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
Look for In The Balcony on Facebook!
[ *  *  * ]
Y'know, I've never seen this... it's available on DVD in England, so I may take the plunge.
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

Chief Thunder Cloud
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
LG: Trust me, whether you buy it on DVD from England or ebay, you will not me disappointed. This is one movie I never get tired of viewing.

Kindest Regards:

Ron McKnight.
"Chief Thunder Cloud"

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I went to Amazon.com and found some Marketplace sellers sellling it on DVD. One said it was from Hong Kong and had a different cover. I ordered it from a different seller...I guess it's too much to hope for that it was available before and I'm getting a U.S. out-of-print copy? I'll just have to wait and see.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
For those following along, Rog's copy was from England (region 2) so he sold it to me for only a 200% mark up. So Kid Gravy and I watched it and it's as good as you folks said it was, maybe better. Keeps the heart and soul of the Twain novel. Terrific, and Victor Jory's Injun Joe is a nightmare -- man, when he chucks that knife at Tom in court, I thought I was gonna wet my pants along with Tom. *L*
"I'm glad that this question came up, because there are so many ways to answer it that one of them is bound to be right." - Robert Benchley

The Batman
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
OK, big Tom Sawyer-Huckleberry Finn fan here, who has never seen this movie. I am not going all-Region any time soon, so please, LG, tell me they are working on a Region 1 DVD of this movie.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman...then always be Batman!

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Awhile back, I bought a DVD of my favorite Tom Sawyer movie (the one from around 1938) but it turned out to be a Region 2 disc and I couldn't watch it so I wound up sending to someone here. I just got another copy. This is a proper Region 1 copy. Someone at the Amazon listing for it referred to it as a Platinum release so I was confused when my copy was by Echo Bridge until I looked it up and saw the two companies had merged.

At any rate, the picture quality looks great to me, apart from the fact the picture doesn't quite fill my flatscreen TV. After a minute or two, I don't even notice that. I do wonder if Echo Bridge's other products will be hit or miss like Platinum's were?

Oh yes, this disc came with 2 other movies I'd never heard of. Chances are I'll never watch them.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
What are the other two? And why would a 1938 film fill your widescreen TV?

SuperRog
Member Avatar
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
I guess it wouldn't so I'm happy with it.

Devil's Hill is one of the other movies. It's from 1988 and was produced by The Australian Children's Television Foundation. This takes place in Tasmania.

The other movie is Lil' Treasure Hunters. It's from 2003 and is rated PG for mild rude humor. It's the one movie of the 3 listed as widescreen. I'm not sure what country this was produced in.

Frank Hale
Balcony Gang, Foist Class
[ *  *  * ]
Your flat-screen TV probably has a setting so that you can stretch the picture out to fill the whole screen, Rog, but we would be disappointed in you if you did that.

I havenít seen this film in eons, and I gather it is now public domain. Like most people, I imagine, the scene I mostly remember is Victor Jory as Injun Joe in the cave.

Laughing Gravy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Watched the new Blu-ray of this tonight. Review coming this weekend.

Sgt King
Charter Member
[ *  *  * ]
Even before your review Gravy - IMHO, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one great movie! The sets, color, action, effects, actors, comedy, the Americanna of times past . . . I never tire of watching this true classic.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Adventures in the Balcony · Next Topic »
Add Reply