Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to In The Clutch, where sports is all that matters! We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a spectator. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. It's all that stands between you and participating in sports news discussion, live event discussion, and a variety of pick-the-winner and discussion competitions. And we promise not to hunt you down, stalk you, or sell your personal info for a whole tenth of a cent.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Chargers Stadium; Move To LA or Stay in SD?
Topic Started: Tuesday May 2 2006, 09:07 AM (239 Views)
WeatherManNX01
Member Avatar
The Yanks are coming!

From ESPN and the AP:
Quote:
 
Chargers may look for new home in San Diego County
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO --
The City Council unanimously agreed Monday to amend the San Diego Chargers' lease to allow the NFL team to look for a new stadium site within the county.

The action came less than two weeks after Mayor Jerry Sanders said the cash-strapped city doesn't have the money to help Southern California's only NFL team build a new stadium.

If the team fails to strike a deal in the county before Jan. 1, the Chargers would be free to negotiate a deal anywhere in the country.

The Chargers can leave San Diego after the 2008 season if they pay off the approximately $60 million in bonds the city issued in 1997 to expanded Qualcomm Stadium.

"I strongly believe the Chargers are a regional asset," Councilman Kevin Faulconer said. "Today's action is appropriate because it is in the best interest of San Diego's taxpayers."

City Attorney Michael Aguirre said he supports amending the team's lease, but urged caution in dealing with the Chargers.

"I hope this is not part of some charade where they are going to pretend to go out and make some kind of effort in the county and then say, 'Gee, we were not able to do it,' and then come back and ask for some kind of subsidy," Aguirre said.

The Chargers' negotiator, Mark Fabiani, said on April 21 that the smaller cities of Oceanside, Chula Vista, and National City to the north and south of San Diego have approached the team, along with a private investor whose identity Fabiani wouldn't disclose.

"We welcome today's lease amendment, and when that amendment becomes final, we will immediately begin to examine available options in San Diego County," Fabiani said in a statement. "The Chargers are very hopeful that the amendment will result in the building of a new Super Bowl-caliber stadium in San Diego County."

San Diego is facing what the mayor called a financial and a managerial crisis, which includes a $1.4 billion city employee pension fund deficit and federal investigations into city finances.

The Chargers have been in San Diego since 1961, the year after they started playing in Los Angeles under the ownership of hotel magnate Barron Hilton.

Earlier this year, the team dropped its proposal to build a $450 million stadium as part of a commercial development the Qualcomm site because it could not find developers to share the estimated $800 million upfront costs. The team offered to pay for the stadium and traffic improvements, but wanted the city to give it 60 acres for development to recoup its costs.

Last week, Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman contacted the Chargers about the possibility of starting talks to relocate to the gambling and entertainment mecca.

Team officials responded that their lease with San Diego bars them from talking with other cities until Jan. 1.
Hmm, could we be seeing the Los Angeles Chargers in a few years?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PSUSyr5
The Board Idiot

Well, I don't believe the team will move to Vegas, despite the contact from the mayor.

LA is a possibility, but it seems like right now they're going to just move within the county. If things break down there...then yes, LA it is.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
WeatherManNX01
Member Avatar
The Yanks are coming!

From ESPN:
Quote:
 
Two pieces of land in this fast-growing suburb south of downtown San Diego are suitable for an NFL stadium, according to a study released Thursday that was funded by the San Diego Chargers.

The findings elevate Chula Vista's prospects of landing Southern California's only NFL team as the Chargers intensify efforts to leave Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego.

The architectural firm Cooper, Robertson & Partners identified the top-ranked site as a 500-acre parcel about seven miles inland from San Diego Bay. A 139-acre bayfront site that is currently occupied by a power plant ranked second.

The Chargers paid $220,000 for the study, which also considered two other sites in Chula Vista, a city of 230,000 people.

Chula Vista officials are clearly enamored with the bayfront site.

The Chargers plan community forums in the next month to get public feedback.


Full article.

Nice to hear that the Chargers would like to stay in San Diego rather than move to LA as had been rumored.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PSUSyr5
The Board Idiot

Interesting. The NFL has done well without a team in LA, so I don't see why a team should move there...good to see SD at least wanting to stay...whether or not they will is another story.

At the same time though, if the NFL really wants a team in LA, the only way that would really work is by having a team move there. I don't see how 33 teams would work...34 or 36 would be possible...so 2 in LA...one international team?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
WeatherManNX01
Member Avatar
The Yanks are coming!

C.D. Chivas Americano? :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Cougar
Member Avatar


WeatherManNX01
Sep 14 2007, 07:16 PM
C.D. Chivas Americano? :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, I think one team should eventually relocate to LA. However, not the Chargers.
I don't want to see any Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PSUSyr5
The Board Idiot

WeatherManNX01
Sep 14 2007, 07:16 PM
C.D. Chivas Americano? :lol:

I meant, if you're going to have an expansion team in LA, making it to 33 teams, and that probably won't work out well...how are you going to get #34? A second team in LA, an international team (Toronto, Cancun, Vancouver, Mexico City perhaps)?

Yeah, I forgot a lot of words in my post...woops...I would blame it on lack of sleep, but we know better. :bag:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PSUSyr5
The Board Idiot

Cougar
Sep 14 2007, 07:21 PM
WeatherManNX01
Sep 14 2007, 07:16 PM
C.D. Chivas Americano? :lol:

:lol:

Yeah, I think one team should eventually relocate to LA. However, not the Chargers.
I don't want to see any Los Angeles Chargers of San Diego :P

Yeah, well, as long as they actually play in LA, there won't be any of that...now if they want to change the name to LA, but still play in SD...then you're on to something there. :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Cougar
Member Avatar


Toronto would be the 3rd or 4th largest city in the US if it was a part of the US....I believe...I don't see why the NFL doesn't expand there. Of course Mexico City is huge, but I think more Canadians like football better than Mexicans ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
WeatherManNX01
Member Avatar
The Yanks are coming!

From 10News KGTV:
Quote:
 
Last week's election could change the face of San Diego politics for the near future.

But it may not help the Chargers build a new stadium.

Election night was closely watched by thousands of people and especially the San Diego Chargers.

The football team said it has struggled to build a new football stadium partly because two people haven't helped: San Diego Mayor, Jerry Sanders and City Attorney, Mike Aguirre.

Last Tuesday, Sanders won re-election and Aguirre is headed to a November run-off where he, too, could win another term.

“We wish it could work out, but the Mayor has said he's not interested and he said that after he was re-elected,” said Chargers team spokesman, Mark Fabiani.

“The problem now with the Qualcomm site is that, over the years, the cost of our project has more than doubled,” said Fabiani.

A new stadium is now expected to cost upwards of $1.3 billion.


Full article.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · National Football League · Next Topic »
Add Reply