Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Let the games begin!
Welcome to the Official OIFL Message Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Britball - (Uni football)
Topic Started: Nov 13 2016, 02:12 PM (454 Views)
PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Hi guys, as some of you might know (though not many) I am now at University in the UK and am part of my uni's American Football Team (UCL Emperors, you can check us out on Facebook and Twitter). I thought I could use this thread to talk about how the season goes.

We play 6 games this season plus playoffs. Quarters are normally 12 1/2 minutes long otherwise its pretty much the same as NCAA College Ball.

We played our first game today and beat Buckinghamshire New University Buccaneers 40-0 at home.

Next fixture and update is on Nov 27th and will give the score of our first away game at Southampton.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Click here

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Good start, good start
So this doesn't get updated often. I changed it 2/25/2018, and it said "who wins OIFLCup XI?" Tucson won OIFLCup XI, 58-55 over the Texas Terrors...in 2011...

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, if you want to catch up independently of my updates then Double Coverage are a good for independent Britball coverage. DBL Coverage

Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Update time! So... after a 2 hour bus journey we arrived in Southampton.

We lost 62-2, an embarrassing defeat but one that as a team we can work on going forward.

Next Sunday we play our local rivals the Kings Regents and will hopefully iron out the (many) creases from this week.

In summary - we were beaten by a mediocre team because we were not prepared enough to face an experienced organisation.

Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Some good news! We played against our Varsity rivals King's College London this weekend just passed and we evidently learnt from our humbling defeat at Southampton. We won 12-0 (failed both 2 point attempts) to put us 2-1 and joint second in our division. We play the 0-2 Chichester Spitfires this Sunday - our last game before the winter break.

Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
The Emperors march on into the Christmas break with a 3-1 record. We defeated the Chichester Spitfires on Sunday 15-0. Another spectacular defensive showing with 4 turnovers on the day - even I got in on the action with a fumble recovery! Next game not until February now.

Posted Image

Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
Well, good to recover from a whoopin like that!
So this doesn't get updated often. I changed it 2/25/2018, and it said "who wins OIFLCup XI?" Tucson won OIFLCup XI, 58-55 over the Texas Terrors...in 2011...

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Our second season started yesterday! We played a tough match against the City Wolfpack, with a score of 0-0 at full time the defensive battle was decided in OT, we ended up losing 8-6 (College style overtime) by failing a 2pt conversion. The team played well, our defence got a lot of stats up too, including 1 sack and 1 FR from me!

Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Week 2 yesterday, we came away with a 6-0 win against the recently relegated Royal Holloway Bears! Another defensive standoff, I doubled my stats from last week putting up 2 sacks and 2 recovered fumbles! We have a bye week this week, so no update on this until after thanksgiving.

Posted Image

Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
Tell the offense they need to get their side of the ball figured out!

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
They sure do! The last two games have been against some really tough defences but they really need to get on the same page. In the first game our offence put up almost 200yds passing but also threw about 5 INTs wheras last game we put up no more than about 100yds total.

Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Tough loss this weekend, 12-26 against the recently relegated Brighton Panthers. I came off at the half due to an ankle injury. The offence performed the best it did all season but the Panthers scored two in quick succession just before the half putting us down 14-0. The officiating was atrocious with blatant holds and blocks in the back not called for reasons such as 'he didn't block you in the back' or 'you were out of the play so I don't care'. All in all a pretty disappointing day.

Posted Image

colinsb
Member Avatar
OIFL Hall of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Have to say I watched the game and some of the calls were completely baffling. The best being a fumble recovered by two UCL players with a Brighton player having barely a hand on it being called a Brighton ball.

Holding, illegal blocks in the back, some pretty blatant pass interference all not given.

And highlight of the day was a member of the chain crew getting wiped out by two players sliding in to him, damn that hurt.
Posted Image

Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
Never want to see officiating cause issues. Oh well, at least it's football.

colinsb
Member Avatar
OIFL Hall of Famer
Has to be done

Posted Image
Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
^^ This and an 8-0 victory over the Chichester Spitfires made Sunday's game one of my favourites from the season (behind Royal Holloway). 3 Weeks until we face our varsity rivals King's College London in our final game of the season, a win puts us in the playoffs!

Posted Image

FightinSquirrels
Member Avatar
2-Time OIFL Champions
Very nice!
Sometimes you just gotta kick the cat and deal with what you get!

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
Season is now over, we unfortunately failed to make the playoffs losing out to the KCL Regents, who proceeded to hand our asses to us in the Varsity game too. Despite this, the season was still great fun and I managed to lead the entire team in sacks with 6.5 or 7 sacks over the 5 game season (one team dropped out mid-season due to lack of players).

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Just Anything · Next Topic »
Add Reply