Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Let the games begin!
Welcome to the Official OIFL Message Board. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2018 OIFL Owners Meeting discussion page
Topic Started: Dec 28 2017, 06:41 PM (349 Views)
Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's the open discussion page for any league meeting issues you may want brought up!
Ten seasons down! Who wins OIFLCup XI?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lambo7
Member Avatar
OIFL Starter
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to see the "Fire sales" stop when a coach leaves. the new coach inherits the team as it is, BUT maybe they can cut players free of any charges etc...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cybercats Owner
Member Avatar
2006 & 2014 OIT Champs
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lambo7
Dec 30 2017, 07:43 AM
I'd like to see the "Fire sales" stop when a coach leaves. the new coach inherits the team as it is, BUT maybe they can cut players free of any charges etc...
I like this idea.
Posted Image

DCConspiracy
Member Avatar
The Secret Is Out!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lambo7
Dec 30 2017, 07:43 AM
I think to an extent it should depend on the situation; for instance a situation like with Maykop the fire sale was warranted. If an owner is waiting in the wings to take over a team then not doing the fire sale makes total sense to me, and I do like giving new owners coming in midyear a grace period to rework contracts and release players penalty free.

League owned teams however I think it would be best to continue them, as the goal is to make it cost the league as little as possible to run the franchise, and it gives a chance to keep those draft picks in play.
DC Conspiracy
Est: 2008 (OIF2); Joined OIFL: 2009.
Lifetime Record: 90-55
Division Champions: 2016 - 17.
Playoff Qualifier: 2009, 2011 - 13, 2015 - 17
OIFLCup Appearances: 2017

DCConspiracy
Member Avatar
The Secret Is Out!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had an idea for a kind of 'reverse aging' lottery. The idea is to simulate those occasional veteran players who after appearing to have been on a downfall come back to have strong seasons. Basically 5 aged players would be selected at random (could be first 5 to get a '20' dice roll or something), and all of their aging numbers for the year would be reversed except for leadership. So all of their losses would become gains and their age would go down.

With more and more favorite players aging out this could be a way to let a couple of them stick around just a bit longer. Just a crazy idea or something people could get behind?
DC Conspiracy

SanAntonioRattlers
Member Avatar
OIFL All Star
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A couple thoughts I have:

Eliminate the dispersal draft. Let players hit FA when a team folds. If there were a players association, this is something they would fight for. This would allow players to get market value and go where they want to go.

In seasoning ratings bumps and/or decline. Keeps things more realistic. If a guy tears it up, he gets a ratings bump. If a guy sucks, he regresses.

Higher ratings for incoming rookies. The way it stands now, Rookies canít really contribute. If you look at most football leagues, there are many guys who burst on the scene and put up big numbers. Doesnít happen here because Rookies are limited to 10 when thereís tons of 11+ out there.
Edited by SanAntonioRattlers, Dec 30 2017, 08:42 PM.
Posted Image

Rattlers football, the best thing to happen to Texas since independence

2004 OIF2 CHAMPIONS
2005 OIT CHAMPIONS
2007 OIFL CHAMPIONS

colinsb
Member Avatar
OIFL Hall of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SanAntonioRattlers
Dec 30 2017, 08:41 PM
Higher ratings for incoming rookies. The way it stands now, Rookies canít really contribute. If you look at most football leagues, there are many guys who burst on the scene and put up big numbers. Doesnít happen here because Rookies are limited to 10 when thereís tons of 11+ out there.
Would argue against the "many guys" statement, talking with Patrick there appears to have been 5 maybe 6 rookies that made an immediate impact in their rookie season this year out of 256, that is a very small percentage.

A solution Patrick suggested and I like the sound of is to do what the NFL does. Have a rookie training camp and then a main training camp. Maybe give us 5 points on 2 stats per rookie and then let them hit training camp after that with normal training camp restrictions.

Posted Image

vancouverisland
Member Avatar
OIFL All Star
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i like the rookie camp idea colin has
Posted Image

Smash Mouth Football Isn't our job, It's our religion!

Lambo7
Member Avatar
OIFL Starter
[ *  *  *  * ]
I dont know how to do it, but I'd like to see a cap on FA bidding. this is to stop stupid bids for then too see players leave as the team can't afford the wages. the salary of some players are totally stupid.

TexasTerrors
Member Avatar
OIFL All Star
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SanAntonioRattlers
A couple thoughts I have:

Eliminate the dispersal draft. Let players hit FA when a team folds. If there were a players association, this is something they would fight for. This would allow players to get market value and go where they want to go.

In seasoning ratings bumps and/or decline. Keeps things more realistic. If a guy tears it up, he gets a ratings bump. If a guy sucks, he regresses.
YES!

The idea of a in season ratings bump or decline is interesting.
Posted Image

Cybercats Owner
Member Avatar
2006 & 2014 OIT Champs
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I too like the idea of a rookie camp.
Posted Image

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
TexasTerrors
Jan 1 2018, 05:34 PM
SanAntonioRattlers

I like the idea of having players who are doing well getting better and visa versa but I'd prefer to keep it separate from their actual stats.

Maybe having a 'hot streak' system (similar perhaps to Madden franchise mode?) where a player that does well consistently starts playing better compared to how long their streak goes would allow coaches to target the better players too?
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Click here

Posted Image

DCConspiracy
Member Avatar
The Secret Is Out!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know we already do the pre-season rating bumps for young players, but an extra rookie camp could go a long way.

I definitely agree that right now the difference between top rookies and current OIFL players is generally too great. It seems in the NFL you can usually expect 5-10 starters from the rookie class, and most of the upper round players are at least good enough to contribute, as are some late round surprises. In the OIFL you might get a couple starters, and about 20 or so more rookies able to contribute in some meaningful way. Most of the draft class gets thrown away and retired within a year or two.

Also, if we make the rookies more able to contribute teams wouldn't necessarily feel they have to be super aggressive in FAFFA to compete, which could lower some of the huge salaries.
DC Conspiracy

DCConspiracy
Member Avatar
The Secret Is Out!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PatrickSB
Jan 2 2018, 01:08 PM
TexasTerrors
Jan 1 2018, 05:34 PM
SanAntonioRattlers

I like the idea of having players who are doing well getting better and visa versa but I'd prefer to keep it separate from their actual stats.

Maybe having a 'hot streak' system (similar perhaps to Madden franchise mode?) where a player that does well consistently starts playing better compared to how long their streak goes would allow coaches to target the better players too?
I like the hot streak idea. I think that could be easier to manage for Josh and still get the same result. It could also put a greater emphasis on depth and strategy over just developing superstars; if your starter is in a slump but the backup on a hot streak you might need to consider a switch.
DC Conspiracy

SanAntonioRattlers
Member Avatar
OIFL All Star
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DCConspiracy
Jan 5 2018, 08:01 AM
I know we already do the pre-season rating bumps for young players, but an extra rookie camp could go a long way.

I definitely agree that right now the difference between top rookies and current OIFL players is generally too great. It seems in the NFL you can usually expect 5-10 starters from the rookie class, and most of the upper round players are at least good enough to contribute, as are some late round surprises. In the OIFL you might get a couple starters, and about 20 or so more rookies able to contribute in some meaningful way. Most of the draft class gets thrown away and retired within a year or two.

Also, if we make the rookies more able to contribute teams wouldn't necessarily feel they have to be super aggressive in FAFFA to compete, which could lower some of the huge salaries.
Very well said
Posted Image

Rattlers football, the best thing to happen to Texas since independence

2004 OIF2 CHAMPIONS
2005 OIT CHAMPIONS
2007 OIFL CHAMPIONS

PatrickSB
Member Avatar
Schraeder-Bidwell Mk.II
[ *  *  * ]
DCConspiracy
Jan 5 2018, 08:01 AM

The rookie camp doesn't even need to be too massive. It could represent the step up from whatever level the rookies played at to pro indoor level so something like 5 points in one stat.

The only issue I see is that it might extend Josh's workload over training camp time. I would argue we send in the separate rookie camp stuff in the same email as the rest of training camp but it just gets done before the full camp.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Click here

Posted Image

Commissioner
Member Avatar
I started this thing...
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ballot going out tonight - can still discuss here.
Ten seasons down! Who wins OIFLCup XI?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DCConspiracy
Member Avatar
The Secret Is Out!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So I thought it could be good to get a conversation going on the Hot Streaks, since Josh said he wasn't sure how he would implement it yet.

I'm not sure how impactful it would be, but would the simplest method be to increase the player's leadership rating? That would be far simpler than having to modify all the different skill ratings like Madden does, but (in theory at least) should improve the player's overall performance. Would that be enough?
DC Conspiracy

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · OIFL Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply