| Welcome to PorchlightUSA. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| NHM690807 August 7, 1969; Salem | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Aug 3 2011, 05:30 PM (136 Views) | |
| PorchlightUSA | Aug 3 2011, 05:30 PM Post #1 |
|
Administrator
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
Unidentified White Male * The victim was discovered on August 7, 1969 in Salem, New Hampshire * Estimated Date of Death: Days prior Vital Statistics * Estimated age: 28-40 years old * Approximate Height and Weight: 5'10"; 225 lbs. Case History The victim was located by a road work crew in a water-filled pit on the side of I-93 between the Pelham Road exit ramp and Rockingham Boulevard in Salem, NH. The victim was shot four times, twice in the head, once in the torso and once in the neck. Investigators If you have any information about this case please contact: New Hampshire State Police Cold Case Unit 603-271-2663 603-271-1255 http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1906.html |
![]() |
|
| PorchlightUSA | Aug 3 2011, 05:30 PM Post #2 |
|
Administrator
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/in...&#entry11312979 |
![]() |
|
| tatertot | Jul 27 2012, 08:26 AM Post #3 |
|
Administrator
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120725/NEWS03/707259946 July 24. 2012 11:34PM Murder case from 1969 next for cold case unit By JAMES A. KIMBLE Union Leader Correspondent SALEM — Salem police said they are ready to take on their next cold case after announcing this week that they solved the 1990 murder of a wheelchair-bound man who was stabbed in his home. Police are now taking steps to exhume the body of an unidentified man found on Aug. 7, 1969, along Interstate 93. The man died from apparent gunshot wounds to the head and neck. Capt. James Chase said the body has never been identified but recent advances in technology may help investigators with answers about the homicide. Preliminary work on the 1969 case — mostly paperwork at this point — has been happening while wrapping up the homicide of John Pond Sr. On Monday, Salem police announced it solved the Sept. 19, 1990 murder of Pond Sr., 26, who was found stabbed to death in his apartment. In 2009, Chase teamed up with retired Salem Police Detective Paul Marchand to solve the 22-year-old mystery, leading to a months-long probe that culled new DNA evidence and an investigative grand jury. Mark Craig, 37, of Concord was named as the killer on Monday. Craig died of a drug overdose at a Concord halfway house in 2004, investigators said. The Pond case was the first time New Hampshire closed a murder case by assembling evidence against a deceased suspect. Police said this week they’re ready to see if they can repeat their success with the unsolved 1969 killing. The unidentified victim was shot four times — twice in the head, once in the torso and once in the neck, according to investigators. The body was found on the side of the interstate between the Pelham Road exit ramp and Rockingham Boulevard. “We don’t know why he was dumped there,” Chase said on Monday. Chase recently found where the body had been buried in an unmarked grave. The state Medical Examiner’s Office also recently agreed to conduct a new autopsy, according to Chase. Chase has been in contact with another expert to see if the skull of the body can be reconstructed as part of an effort to identify the man. If any DNA could be extracted from the remains, it could be entered into a national database, Chase said. Investigators believe the man was between the ages of 28 to 40, stood about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and weighed about 225 pounds. The body was in a state of decomposition when it was discovered by a road work crew. It was in a water-filled pit on the side of the road, according to the state’s Cold Case web site. Chase said the Pond case was challenging because the investigation required proving beyond any doubt that Craig was the sole perpetrator of the crime. If Chase continues with the 1969 homicide, he will have to overcome a new potential hurdle — his recent promotion to captain of the patrol division. When Chase reopened the Pond case three years ago, he was a detective sergeant. Despite the added responsibilities, Chase said he wants to continue working on the unsolved case — and maybe recruit a detective to help him. |
![]() |
|
| tatertot | Jul 27 2012, 08:27 AM Post #4 |
|
Administrator
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]()
|
http://doj.nh.gov/criminal/cold-case/victim-list/salem.htm Unidentified Male Unidentified Male in Salem Name: Unidentified Male in Salem Year of Death or Disappearance: 1969 City/Town: Salem Status: Unsolved Homicide Details: An unidentified white male was found on the side of I-93 between the Pelham Road exit ramp and Rockingham Boulevard in Salem, NH, on August 7, 1969. The victim was shot four times, twice in the head, once in the torso and once in the neck. The victim was between 28 and 40 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed about 225 pounds. The victim was in a state of decomposition when he was discovered by a road work crew in a water-filled pit on the side of the road. Help us solve this case and bring justice to the family of this victim. Use our Tip Form. |
![]() |
|
| « Previous Topic · N.H. Males Pre-1969 · Next Topic » |





![]](http://z2.ifrm.com/static/1/pip_r.png)



8:02 PM Jul 10