Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to PorchlightUSA. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Elmer Crawford/966UMTX, Positive Match US Doe for; solved by Nutsdeb
Topic Started: Jul 30 2010, 02:35 PM (567 Views)
PorchlightUSA
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Texas body solves 40-year-old Australian Crawford murder mystery By Keith Moor From: Herald Sun July 13, 2010 9:47AM A 1971 inquest found Crawford electrocuted and bashed his family in Melbourne's north AAP/WA Police Source: AAP

POLICE believe they have found the body of longtime fugitive and Melbourne mass murderer Elmer Crawford.
He had been on the run since slaughtering his pregnant wife and their three young children almost four decades ago.

Crawford became one of Victoria's most wanted men after electrocuting and bashing his family before pushing their bodies over a cliff in a car at Port Campbell's Loch Ard Gorge.

Victorian police now believe they have tracked Crawford's body to the Texan city of San Angelo in the US.

Police now believe they have found one of Australia's most wanted men

Facial recognition experts from Victoria Police and the US FBI academy in Quantico, Virginia, have separately compared photographs of Crawford with photographs of the unidentified dead man and each reached the conclusion the body is almost certainly that of Crawford.


An inquest in 1971 found Crawford murdered his wife Theresa Crawford, 35, and their children Kathryn, 13, James, 8 and Karen, 6, in their Cardinal Rd, Glenroy, home on July 1, 1970.

Victoria Police is trying to get DNA from a relative of Crawford in the hope of proving the man's identity.

They have been unable to compare Crawford's fingerprints with those of the man because the body's fingertips were so badly damaged.

Police believe the man deliberately damaged his fingertips to make it more difficult to identify him. He was carrying multiple identity documents in four different names.

Victoria Police may have to exhume the body of Crawford's eight-year-old son James in the hope of getting DNA for comparison purposes.

That will be considered as a last resort and police are today appealing for any relatives of Crawford to come forward to give their DNA.

A Herald Sun article in 2008 led to a reader contacting Crime Stoppers over the case.

The caller said an unidentified dead man pictured on a US missing person website was similar to a Victoria Police computer image of how Crawford might look decades after disappearing.

The information was given to the former Victoria Police homicide squad detective in charge of the Crawford case, Sgt Damian Jackson. He has been working with US authorities to identify the man.

That man died in a San Angelo hospital on March 31, 2005, after suffering a heart attack earlier that day. Extensive inquiries in the US failed to identify him.

Sgt Jackson yesterday said the Crawford murder case was an enduring mystery that would be good to solve.

"If this deceased male in the US is Crawford, as we suspect it is, then it means we can close the book on what has been a 40-year saga," he said.

Former homicide squad detective Adrian Donehue was one of the original investigators on the case in 1970 and had the grisly task of unwrapping the four bodies from the blankets they were bound in.

He yesterday said it was a shame Crawford appeared to have lived for decades before dying of natural causes.

"The thing that really annoys me is the fact he has murdered his wife and three kids and has got away with it," Mr Donehue said.

Evidence suggests several possible motives for the horrific crime. The first is that he and his wife Theresa argued over whether or not to terminate Theresa's fourth pregnancy.

That police theory is based on an unfinished letter from Mrs Crawford to her family in which she indicated she wasn't happy about being pregnant again.

The second theory is that Mrs Crawford discovered her husband had been stealing goods from the Victoria Racing Club at Flemington racecourse, where he worked for 14 years, and she was threatening to expose him as a thief.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/...6-1225890984106
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PorchlightUSA
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Police believe they have found body of 40-year-old fugitive, murderer Keith Moor From: Herald Sun July 12, 2010 11:05PM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share
Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these?Others
Video
Image
Killer dad twist
Play

12345Loading…Please login to rate a video.You can't rate an advertisement.
(5 votes)
Killer dad twist
Former homicide squad detective Adrian Donehue describes how Elmer Crawford committed an unspeakable...
Views today: 0Sorry, this video is no longer available.
Elmer Crawford Source: Herald Sun
POLICE believe they have found the body of 40-year fugitive and Melbourne evil dad Elmer Crawford.
Crawford had been on the run since he killed his pregnant wife and three children.

He became one of Victoria's most wanted after electrocuting and bashing his family before pushing their bodies over a cliff in a car at Port Campbell's Loch Ard Gorge.
Police now believe they have found his body in the United States.

Click here to listen to Keith Moor discuss his exclusive article on 3AW radio this morning

Facial recognition experts from Victoria Police and the FBI have compared old photos of Crawford with photos of an unidentified dead man and concluded that it is almost certainly the same person.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage'John Doe': Details of suspect's life in US emerge
The clues: Why they think it's him
The crimes: How he did it
The motives: Why he did it
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Victoria Police is trying to get DNA from a relative of Crawford in the hope of finally solving the case.

An inquest in 1971 found that Crawford had murdered his wife Theresa Crawford, 35, and their children Kathryn, 13, James, 8, and Karen, 6, in their Cardinal Rd, Glenroy, home on July 1, 1970.

Police have been unable to compare Crawford's fingerprints with those of the dead man because the body's fingertips were so badly damaged. Police believe the man deliberately damaged his fingers to make it more difficult to identify him.

So keen was he to avoid being identified that he was carrying identification documents in four different names.

US authorities believe every one of his identities was false. Victoria Police may have to exhume the body of Crawford's eight-year-old son James in the hope of getting DNA to compare with the dead man's.

That will only be considered as a last resort and police are today appealing through the Herald Sun for any relatives of Crawford to come forward to give DNA.

An exclusive 2008 Herald Sun article on the Crawford case led to a reader contacting Crime Stoppers over the case.

The caller said an unidentified dead man pictured on a US missing persons website appeared very similar to a Victoria Police computer image of how Crawford might look decades after disappearing.

Crime Stoppers passed the new information to the former Victoria Police homicide squad detective in charge of the case, Sgt Damian Jackson.

Sgt Jackson has since been working with US authorities to try to identify the man.

That man died in a San Angelo hospital on March 31, 2005, after suffering a heart attack earlier that day. Extensive inquiries in the US failed to identify him.

Sgt Jackson said the Crawford murder case was an enduring mystery that would be good to solve.

"If this deceased male in the US is Crawford, as we suspect it is, then it means we can close the book on what has been a 40-year saga," he said.

Former homicide squad detective Adrian Donehue was one of the original investigators on the case in 1970 and had the grisly task of unwrapping the four bodies from the blankets they had been bound in.

He said it was a shame Crawford appeared to have lived for decades before dying of natural causes.

"The thing that really annoys me is the fact he has murdered his wife and three kids and has got away with it," he said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/police-be...-1225890958628#

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Noman
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
List on Doe Network http://doenetwork.org/cases/966umtx.html

Update-no match

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118525 :blink:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Porchlight Positive Matches · Next Topic »
Add Reply