Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to PorchlightUSA. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2006 Attaie, Shawn 03/29/06; off Ocean Beach 22 YO
Topic Started: Jul 6 2006, 09:23 PM (470 Views)
PorchlightUSA
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Missing Person At Sutro Baths
The Coast Guard is searching for a 22-year-old UC Santa Barbara student who was last seen on Wednesday morning with a friend, hanging out at the Sutro Baths on Ocean Beach. Shawn Attaie had been out all night drinking with a childhood friend and that morning, they reportedly snuck into a restricted area on the beach near the Baths, where Attaie fell into the water.

The police are still piecing together the story, but they know Attaie must have fallen in some time after 11 a.m., because his friend has a digital photo of Attaie from around that time. After Attaie fell in, the friend apparently tried to get help from other tourists, but the tourists thought he was drunk or lying and pushed him away. At that point, the friend became "uncommunicative," and went home, where his roommates managed to figure out what happened. The friend is on a suicide watch, and Attaie's family say the two men were close and they wouldn't suspect foul play.

Unfortunately, no one notified the Coast Guard or the federal Park Police (who have jurisdiction over Sutro Baths because it's part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area) until late Thursday night -- when Attaie's father called the Coast Guard to request an update on the search and independent searchers called to report finding nothing -- only to find that that was the first the authorities had heard of it. Apparently everyone thought someone else had called the police.

Because it was so late, the Coast Guard and the Park Police couldn't start their search until this morning. They've searched all day but found nothing. They estimate that a person could spend maybe 10 hours in the water maximum. Attaie's family and friends are hoping maybe he got himself out of the water and they just haven't managed to hook up with him yet.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PorchlightUSA
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.geocities.com/sfphototour/sutro_baths.html

FRANCISCO
Delay in search for missing man criticized
He reportedly was swept out to sea near Sutro Baths
Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, April 2, 2006


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BAGEUI251R1.DTL

Friends and relatives of a Santa Barbara man -- presumed drowned last week in the waters off the Sutro Baths in San Francisco -- say it took more than 24 hours for authorities to even start to search for his body, despite repeated efforts to persuade them.

Shawn Attaie, 22, was last seen about 11:36 a.m. Wednesday by his friend Robert Milano of San Francisco, who had been drinking with him earlier. The two had been walking in the rocky area next to Ocean Beach when Attaie was washed away into the surf. His body has not been found.

Attaie's mother, Amanda Attaie, said Saturday that Milano tried to call 911 but was unable to get through and then drove to his home nearby. Friends feared he was suicidal and called 911 on Wednesday afternoon.

Amanda Attaie said that San Francisco police officers arrived and took the friend to San Francisco General Hospital, but that no search was conducted for her son Wednesday. Lt. John Fu of the Coast Guard said Saturday that the search started when Attaie's friend regained consciousness in the hospital at 6:45 p.m. Thursday. Why it took a full day to begin the search is unclear.

Elizabeth Halbig, a friend of both men who met with police Wednesday at Milano's place, said she called them later in the day to see whether anything had been done about Attaie, but was told to calm down and that the matter was being handled.

San Francisco police spokesman Sgt. Neville Gittens said late Saturday that the circumstances surrounding the initial response to the call about Milano were unclear.

Gittens said the police took Milano, who was holed up in the bathroom and seemed depressed, to the hospital. "In the police report, there is at no point anyone saying that someone got swept to sea,'' Gittens said.

"That is absolutely untrue. The police came into the apartment and over the course of a half-hour, at least five times I said that there was a person down at the Sutro Baths. They kept blowing me off,'' Halbig said.

She said she called authorities at least twice Wednesday. "I told them there was someone missing -- they said they had to wait until the report (on Milano) came in before they could further investigate the situation.''

She said she was told to call the next day.

Attaie's mother said she simply wants to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again.

"I'm not after anyone. I'm not trying to lay blame -- I do not want this to happen to anyone else again," Attaie said. "We do have a system to respond to emergencies, regardless if you cause it. The authorities are supposed to respond. That didn't happen in this case. I don't know why it didn't happen. He's a good person. It's a tragic loss. If the people had tried to help, he might be here with us.''

She said her son, a graduate sociology student at UC Santa Barbara, was visiting friends in San Francisco.




Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
PorchlightUSA
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  * ]
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/artic...UI251R1.DTL&o=0
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
100PercentFound
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Shawn Farzad Attaie


Above Images: Attaie, circa 2006


Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: March 29, 2006 from San Francisco, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: April 1, 1983
Age: 22 years old
Height and Weight: 5'8, 160 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes.


Details of Disappearance

Attaie was last seen in San Francisco, California at approximately 11:30 a.m. on March 29, 2006. He was visiting a childhood friend at the time; the men drank vodka and went to the Sutro Baths and decided to explore the coastal caves. Attaie fell into the high tide waters while he and his friend were on the cliffs and was swept into the ocean.
Attaie's disappearance was not reported to the Coast Guard until the following evening, due to a miscommunication. The Coast Guard searched for him with a boat and helicopter, but turned up no evidence as to his whereabouts. Attaie is believed to have drowned, but he remains classified as a missing person. He was a graduate student in sociology at the University of California at Santa Barbara at the time of his disappearance, and was interested in social justice.



Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
United States Park Police
San Francisco Office
415-561-5510



Source Information
California Attorney General's Office
The Daily Nexus
CBS 5



Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated September 29, 2006; casefile added.

Charley Project Home
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/attaie_shawn.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
oldies4mari2004
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/in...?showtopic=1191
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · California Missing Persons 2000 to 2009 · Next Topic »
Add Reply