Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Privateer Island Fan Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Cheers from the Nac
Topic Started: Jan 8 2018, 11:58 AM (580 Views)
iniedrauer
Freshman
[ * ]
I'm a frequent reader and occasional poster over here but I'm part of the team that runs the SFA fan site over at www.SFASawmill.com. Just wanted to pop in and invite any of you to come join in our conversation during the game. Looking forward to a fun contest and I'm glad at this stage of the season (while we're going through a bit of a shooting slump) that its at home. Only meeting of the season so its a big one.

Here's the direct link to the game thread for Wednesday:https://sfasawmill.com/forums/3/topics/693/

If you have any questions I'm happy to offer some SFA perspective.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thx for your invite. Looks like the game is on ESPN 3 so I'll have to catch it on "re runs" since I have something already booked that night.

SFA is the big daddy of the Southland so, here's hoping we can continue our nice little stretch we have going.

Good luck except for Wed night. :)

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
Here's our Behind Enemy Lines over at The Sawmill:
https://sfasawmill.com/s/337/behind-enemy-l...rivateer-island

Privateers, feel free to use this as motivation. I'm more than happy to be the "nobody believes in us" stooge if it gets us a win in flippin' Nacogdoches. :D

PrivateerFan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Travin is a bonafide 1st team all conference player. Averaging 17pts 7 Rebs 4 Asst 2 Blks and 2 stls in conference play. I do think it would have been noteworthy mentioning him and Puou a little more prominently. The Privateers do hold home wins over 2 of the pre season Top 4 teams in conference. Other than that certainly a lot of unknown at this point.

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
PrivateerFan,Jan 9 2018
06:38 PM
Travin is a bonafide 1st team all conference player. Averaging 17pts 7 Rebs 4 Asst 2 Blks and 2 stls in conference play. I do think it would have been noteworthy mentioning him and Puou a little more prominently. The Privateers do hold home wins over 2 of the pre season Top 4 teams in conference. Other than that certainly a lot of unknown at this point.

Yeah, I probably did give Travin short shrift a little bit, though I thought Shaun covered his impact very well in last year's edition. I did reiterate that the halfcourt offense runs through him, which is quite important. My concern tomorrow is how easily we'll be getting into that halfcourt set.

iniedrauer
Freshman
[ * ]
Steve,Jan 9 2018
07:41 PM
Yeah, I probably did give Travin short shrift a little bit, though I thought Shaun covered his impact very well in last year's edition. I did reiterate that the halfcourt offense runs through him, which is quite important. My concern tomorrow is how easily we'll be getting into that halfcourt set.

Knowing this detail, I would think SFA might not attack the backcourt as you might think. If I had to guess, they're going to deny Travin the entire game and leave the guards room to make plays they aren't used to making. It has been pretty effective against other teams who run their offense through a big.

secoer
Member Avatar
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
From the SFA Fan site: "Great interview Isaac. Really good questions. Knowledgeable guy from UNO."

I must add it was a nice interview.

Steve,

Any other Southland sites have fan blogs like SFA? Would you be willing to do the same with one of their people? Meaning that you would ask similar type questions from them?

The context of information is a lot better than we get from the local media.....which isn't much.

Your insight has always be appreciated....even if we didn't always agree.

GO PRIVATEERS!!!

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
iniedrauer,Jan 9 2018
08:28 PM
Knowing this detail, I would think SFA might not attack the backcourt as you might think. If I had to guess, they're going to deny Travin the entire game and leave the guards room to make plays they aren't used to making. It has been pretty effective against other teams who run their offense through a big.

Could be -- Travin is a highly atypical big, though. UNO's offense has been really peculiar the last couple of years to fit his strengths, but it sure beats our offense from 2012-16, which was more or less "let everybody take turns trying to beat their guy one-on-one."

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
secoer,Jan 9 2018
09:08 PM
Any other Southland sites have fan blogs like SFA? Would you be willing to do the same with one of their people? Meaning that you would ask similar type questions from them?

Lamar has a good site. SFA's is tremendous. I envy, but I don't think I have anything approaching the time to equal what they do. Most of the fan sites are just message boards, and in truth that's what this one more or less is at this point, though I still hope to provide a little more content than simple game summaries in the future. At the very least I still have a treasure trove of nostalgic video still lying around, it's just a matter of finding the time to edit and post.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Steve, what a GREAT frigging job you did. Thanks for putting in the time.

Really, really fantastic job.

I wish I could catch the game live but am hoping to maybe be able to catch the espn3 replays later.

Slidell
Member Avatar
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good game. 62-60 SFA with 5:28 to go.

Slidell
Member Avatar
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lost by 10. 78-68.

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
Disappointing loss, but UNO played well. Final margin of 10 was deceptive. Just didn't quite have the finishing push needed to pull off a game at SFA, but we have a pretty good team, y'all. The record isn't good and we had some serious growing pains early, but the current version of the Privateers is tough to beat in this conference.

Southeastern, however. Wow. 4-0, three of those were on the road (no slouches either) and a home win against the Jacks.

iniedrauer
Freshman
[ * ]
Let the record reflect that Steveís prediction was pretty much a bullís eye. Great game.

Unofan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looking at the conference results so far, I would say that the conference title is up for grabs.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
I followed some on my phone when I could. Sounds like we aren't all that far behind SFA in talent/ability etc.?

But I'm not happy that SLU is 4-0 and has beaten Lamar AND SFA on the road. I can handle SFA being what they always are but I'm just not ready to accept SLU being the top.......just like I can NEVER pull for the Falclowns.

But, it would seem the conf is pretty even with a lot at the top and a lot at the bottom? And we are near the top so............let's just keep winning, esp at home and ESP against teams that are struggling.

Seems like we might be able to handle this team pretty well if we were able to have them at home this year....which we don't

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
reduno,Jan 10 2018
09:28 PM
But I'm not happy that SLU is 4-0 and has beaten Lamar AND SFA on the road.

The Lions' win over SFA was in Hammond. But still. SFA, at UCA, at Abilene, and at Lamar and they're 4-0. Impressive. Can't speak for em but I think they would have been okay going 2-2 against that slate.

Privateers have three in a row at home now, time to see if we can take care of business as home favorites for a few games. If we really are going to contend, I'd argue we probably need to get all three of these.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thx. I could swear I read something online that said the game was at SFA so I feel a little better :)

YES! WE NEED TO WIN ALL 3 at home. TAMU doesn't seem to be doing too well and CAU and ICU are teams we should should beat at home if we don't get big heads and have lots of TO's.

REALLY glad to hear that Travin had a big game. I guess Brob was guarded pretty well tonite :o

PrivateerFan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
I got to see this one. Really rough start and finish but in between I thought Privateers were really good. Thibodaux was best player on the court by far. Young guards handled pressure i thought even though Robinson was off. Not sure how many teams outside of Southeastern/Nicholls/UCA could beat these Privateers. League title is a realistic goal IMO. I don't know everyone's schedule but I know we don't play Lamar, SFA or Abilene again and that seems like a big deal.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was never crazy about NOT playing each team twice even when its supposedly rotated but some years it may be a good thing.

I'm both NOT looking forward AND looking forward to SLU. But that Veal kid seems to kill us.

And it does seem early on that we should finish near the top if we continue playing at this level and can cut back on turnovers.

The next 3 games we need to take care of bidness at home.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · UNO Sports Main Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: