Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Privateer Island Fan Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Tournament
Topic Started: May 22 2018, 10:06 AM (877 Views)
reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Do we have any chance against SHU tomorrow? As usual, all the talk in the paper is about LSU.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NSPRIVATEER
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tough draw but I would not count this team out of any game. I don't think we have a chance to go deep into the tournament but I wouldn't be stunned to see them pull an upset. It appears to me that Coach Dean has an uncanny ability to keep his team together no matter how bad things get during the season. No panic from him or his team. Go Bucs!

MidCityBuc
Junior
[ *  *  * ]
When Brian Warzek is on the mound, the Privateers have a chance against anyone. I'm not sure who SHSU is starting, but he will certainly not be to the level of Warzek. My guess would be that it will be Wesneski. He is not a strikeout guy and has given up some power numbers, but he pitches in front of one of the better defenses in the conference. Bryan should do well minimizing the heart of the Bearkat order as he is very good pitching away from power. SHSU relies heavily on slugging and avoiding slugging is one of Warzek's great strengths. It could be a very low scoring game. UNO will have to score early and hold on late to win the game. SHSU has a better bullpen while UNO realistically only has two reliable 'pen arms with a couple of guys who are hit or miss. I like this draw better than Southeastern. SHSU is more conservative on the base paths, but they will try to steal bags against the second worst defense in the conference against the steal. Warzek will have to limit the walks and find a way to pitch deep into this game even with the high pitch count his strikeout style demands.

UNOPrivatr
Member Avatar
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is there official word that we're starting Warzek? He would be pitching on three days rest. If we're going to win the tournament, our best chance would be using someone else against Sam, then having Warzek for game two to try and put us in the drivers seat. It would be an upset to beat Sam even with Warzek, especially on short rest. I'd say start Smith or Stephens and hope for the best.

MidCityBuc
Junior
[ *  *  * ]
Yup. It is John Michael Stevens. I am decidedly less optimistic. I had forgotten that Bryan didn't start game 1 against NSWU.

Unofan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
John Michael Stephens has thrown some impressive games for us this season. Hes beaten SLU, South Alabama and Texas, all on the road. But hes also gotten bombed. Well see who shows up.
Edited by Unofan, May 23 2018, 04:29 AM.

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
MidCityBuc
May 22 2018, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure who SHSU is starting, but he will certainly not be to the level of Warzek. My guess would be that it will be Wesneski. He is not a strikeout guy and has given up some power numbers, but he pitches in front of one of the better defenses in the conference.
Dunno if that's who they start but that sounds like a great matchup for the Bearkats against a singles-hitting team like UNO.

But, as stated, if you get good John Michael Stephens, you never know. I'm kind of okay with it -- we have long odds in game one, but if you somehow do it, you're probably the favorite to go 2-0 and into the comfy winner's bracket with Warzek against a still-good-but-not-as-good opponent (who will be throwing their second best guy) tomorrow.

So, let's take our long shot today and see what happens. It is baseball, after all.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Steve
May 23 2018, 06:35 AM
MidCityBuc
May 22 2018, 12:15 PM

So, let's take our long shot today and see what happens. It is baseball, after all.
Yep, just ask Tulane. I bet Houston didn't see that coming so why not us?

Unofan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tulane was cruising today against ECU. Then, ECU scored 5 runs in the top of the 8th and won 6-5. Baseball can be a cruel game. Its never over, till its over.
Edited by Unofan, May 23 2018, 02:59 PM.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Looks like the UNO game is running late. I'll miss listening tonite so hopefully I can get some scores on the website.

GO BUCS!

secoer
Member Avatar
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Nice way to start the tournament! GO PRIVATEERS!,,,
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
I WISH SO MUCH I could've followed this tonite. Just one time I'd like to be able to listen and do nothing else/

NICE WIN, BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
Big win. Long way to go but, Brayson Smith's second-half emergence aside, UNO does not have the pitching depth to survive the loser's bracket. Only way to win the tournament is to get the first two. They've got one and still haven't used Warzek. So, it looks like it'll be Houston Baptist tomorrow night. We did beat them two out of three at their place, and Warzek had a fairly nice game against them in one of the wins, but who knows. It's baseball. On we go. I'm glad we get the evening game so I can see the whole thing.

If you can just get tomorrow, you watch the loser and probably SHSU fight it out for awhile and use up their pitching and then make them beat Brayson Smith, who has been rock solid down the stretch. It might not work out but that's all you can ask for. Tomorrow is huge, huge, huge. You win tomorrow you are now very much in the conversation to win the tournament.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is the game video ONLY On ESPN+ or is there some other way to catch the video free?

Unofan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Northwestern State beat SLU, so both the top seeded and second seeded teams have lost a game.

reduno
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
WOW, 2-0 in the tournament. Who knew?

Great job. GO BUCS!

NSPRIVATEER
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Way to represent BLUE!

Tpstr
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
Go Big Blue, again!

Unofan
Senior
[ *  *  *  * ]
UNO beats Houston Baptist, 3-1, behind the pitching of Brian Warzek, John Barr and Reeves Martin. The key hit was a two run double in the third by Orynn Veillon.
Edited by Unofan, May 24 2018, 10:23 PM.

Steve
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  * ]
Privateers caught a massive break in this one, as a clear blown call at second base opened the door for that 3-run rally that made the difference. In all fairness, if HBU doesn't botch a popup, that blown call never happens.

Gutty job by Warzek who was not at his sharpest but fought through it. Also well done by the pen, especially John Barr who is a little overworked right now but we've needed every out from him. Gonna need somebody else to step up tomorrow, though. Hopefully we can generate more offense against whoever we're playing, as whoever it is should have a tiring pitching staff by then.

An ESPN+ note: While I would highly recommend eventually just forking over the 5 bucks a month by the time next basketball season rolls around since I'm sure there will be numerous Privateer games featured next season, right now you could do the one-week free trial if you just want to catch the rest of the SLC tournament.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · UNO Sports Main Board · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: