Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Where have the group builds gone?; What happened?
Topic Started: Jan 1 2016, 11:25 PM (1,158 Views)
MadNurseGaz
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I'll admit it's a while since I've been here, but the GB calendar seems to have gone SERIOUSLY awry!
Internet fora have 2 ways into the real world- appearances at shows, so the members can meet up,
and group builds, to give members a common purpose and a sense of "belonging" That's why GBs
are so important!
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to take on any sort of GB admin role (real life gets in the way too much!)
else I'd offer my services (although I know it's a thankless task). It probably isn't really anyone's fault either,
lest any think I'm looking to blame someone- I'm not! Just wondering how to get back from this.
The forum needs a GB programme, guys! Revellations will DIE without one!
Most of the other (British-based) fora are running a Spitfire "Single type group build" in the near future to
mark the 80th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight, and also as a tribute to mark the passing of Edgar
Brooks, the late aviation researcher and Spitfire authority. Perhaps there would be a place to start . . .
Just my two penn'orth . . .
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
I'll be honest, this last twelve months have been personally difficult for a variety of reasons I won't bore you with and RevellAtions has had to take a back seat from my own point of view. I have been mulling things over and I think we need to have a good review of where we're at and where we want to go. We probably need a reboot and start afresh.

peebeep
Goto Top

MadNurseGaz
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
As I said, not seeking to apportion blame for an apparent collapse of the GB programme, peebeep, real life
often prevents us from participating in our interests, most folks, except total geeks with no life, understand that.
A fresh start to a rolling programme of Group Builds may be the best way forward. Perhaps an acknowledgement
that things have gone wrong may bring out some suggestions for a way forward from the Revellations massive!
In the meantime, I think we need to have a GB, while the membership are canvassed for their opinions and suggestions.
A "Made in Britain" GB has just started on one leading forum, I'm not suggesting we copy that, but it's all-encompassing as far as subject matter goes. GBs based round a particular military campaign are often popular, last year every forum and his dog had a Battle of Britain GB. The last GB on here, the "catalogue"GB- what a great idea- it needs finishing- I can't find a poll to vote for our favourites. I wonder if MarkM could set it up? He's good with that sort of stuff elsewhere . . .
My suggestion for an "emergency" GB to get things going again would be "The '60s"- any subject connected to the 1960s, it could include the Vietnam war, the Cold war, 60s cars and motorbikes, steam trains, ships, the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects- anything with a '60s connection- think of all those VW split-screen camper vans in people's stashes- they scream out '60s . . .
Goto Top

fred
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I'm going to waffle a bit.
What I say is not aimed at anyone at all.

In my experience every venture, business, event or group hits the doldrums. Often more than once. How those affected by it react to it influences the outcome.
Let me explain.
In N.I. nearly all our motorsport is on the common roads or in farmers fields. Fifteen years ago the UK was badly hit by foot-and-mouth cattle disease. In N.I. all motor sport was voluntarily suspended. Just before this a few motor clubs had just started new rallies. During the foot/mouth time some of these clubs locked the club house door, threw the keys away and even burnt the club house down. But one club locked themselves in the club house and planned. When the all clear came they came out running with a fully planned, organised and booked up multi-stage rally which is still going strong and considered to be one of the best rallies in the world.

Still there?

Whats this got to do with the forum?
The clubhouse is still standing. Most members are still in there. We just need a plan to get through the doldrums.

I don't post much, but I'm on here daily checking out whats being posted. It does seem like there is now just a small core of members doing all the postings.

Revell kits were never popular and are still a rarity in N.I.
I probably have more blue boxes in my stash than a couple of model shops in Belfast.
Catch 22; are the kits not kept cos so few want them, or do so few modellers want them cos they are not readily available?

I never bothered with a few of the Group builds on here just cos I had nowt suitable, or the subject didn't interest me. I don't think specific type or subject GBs work on here. Not enough membership. The recent [last autumn] 'Catalogue' GB was a good one.
I also think the time should be cut down. 3 months, on here and Britmodeller is far too long. Unless one really starts building right at the beginning, one procrastinates until there is no time left. The UAMF has one month, sometime a max of six weeks. One month can be a bit short. The 2 months on the ATF is about right.

The latest GB ''Clear The Decks''; only John has posted recently. Only four members started [including me]. It has stalled. It needs a real kuta.
[remember I'm not attacking anyone]
I've led a few GBs, on the ATF and UAMF. I tried to visit each build each day and post something to encourage the builder but also to keep the thread alive. I've chivvied slow starters as best I can. More postings by everyone are needed.

I pinched a GB idea from Britmodeller and took it to the UAMF. I'm running it again this spring. It worked well on Britmodeller and then on UAMF. I think it might be a good one for here. But is there a membership willing to take part?

right, I reckon thats enough waffle.

Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
Having ran two GB's ( FW190 & Tornado ) on Britmodeller I know how much time and effort it takes to run a successful GB.
My thought is that, at the time, I was only on Britmodeller and so could concentrate my efforts on there. I think that most people these days are in several forum, whether on 'tinternet or Facebook and have perhaps spread themselves to thin.
If it is to be resurected the first one needs to be fairly straight-forward in its subject to attract as many builds as possible. If this is to be done we need to start a public thread where suggestions can be put forward and a poll taken. We will also need at least two people to run the GB to spread the workload with a commitment from them to visit the GB every couple of days to keep it ticking over.

Steve
Goto Top

MadNurseGaz
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Fred and Steve, thank you for responding to this debate! All input (apart from Sod Off!) is valuable. I am a member of several fora, and I am a big fan of Group Builds. I use the same username in all the fora (where possible), and concentrate my attention on Britmodeller and Mainly Military Modelling. I don't know why, it's not that the company is different in any one forum! I tend to visit ATF, Revellations and Tornado SIG simply to see what GBs are running or coming up. I have found in the past that I've taken on too many GBs at once in too many places, and it stops being fun!
So I have to ration my GB participation, and if no GB on offer appeals, or if I have no suitable kit, or I want to keep that suitable kit for another time, I'll pass.
Yesterday I was surfing the various fora, to look at their GB calendars so I could plan my GB participation for (the first part of) this year, and when I arrived here and found nothing apparently in place, I was shocked, hence my post.
I also know the time and effort needed to run a GB. I co-hosted BM's Emergency services GB (well, it WAS my idea!)
As peebeep says above, perhaps we need to reboot and start again with a GB programme. A "quick'n'dirty" idea that will engage the membership while a proper programme is planned. I'm not sure that a forum without GBs will survive. Or has the membership moved on, now that RevellAtions is a full-blown IPMS SIG? There are modellers out there who see IPMS as irrelevant to their particular modelling, or just don't like big organisations.
An appeal could appear in the forum asking for responses from members who would take part in GBs, and take it from there. That's a starting point. Should I post it today?
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
I think that for various reasons the regularly contributing participants are not as active as they used to be, the last three group builds were not exactly restrictive in there scope but did not produce a lot of interest, but the former could have contributed to the later.

That does not mean I would not welcome a re-boot or join in as as long as I have something appropriate (or can get one ) I would readily join in.
Goto Top

beany
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
MadNurseGaz
Jan 2 2016, 11:38 AM
Internet fora have 2 ways into the real world- appearances at shows, so the members can meet up,
and group builds, to give members a common purpose and a sense of "belonging" That's why GBs
are so important!

...Or has the membership moved on, now that RevellAtions is a full-blown IPMS SIG? There are modellers
out there who see IPMS as irrelevant to their particular modelling, or just don't like big organisations.
I don't think anyone has gone anywhere Gaz. I started the SIG almost a year ago now to address the
point in your first post - so that Revellations would be able to have tables at shows and we could meet
up and get to know each other better - although I already know quite a few of the chaps from the
other SIGs I'm in and attendance at SMW and other shows for the last 9 years. The SIG is hosted on
this forum and unlike most other SIGs, doesn't really do anything else because that is catered for on
this forum - it is just an extension of it for the purpose of publicly displaying our builds.

I'll be honest, a Group Build may be just the thing I need right now to help me populate the tables for
the shows booked for this year!

The SIG has 19 members so far but really needs more , you'd be more that welcome if you'd like to
become No.20 Gaz.

Cheers
Al.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
Jan 2 2016, 11:46 AM
I think that for various reasons the regularly contributing participants are not as active as they used to be, the last three group builds were not exactly restrictive in there scope but did not produce a lot of interest, but the former could have contributed to the later.

That does not mean I would not welcome a re-boot or join in as as long as I have something appropriate (or can get one ) I would readily join in.
I'd be up for a new G.B. here at "Revellations". How do we get the ball rolling..?

Cheers,

ggc :codger:
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
I'm game, any suggestions?
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
Sep 12 2016, 08:29 AM
I'm game, any suggestions?
Well, perhaps a G.B. allowing any Revell kit, all scales and genre...

If you have an unbuilt Revell kit build it the way you want...OOB, with aftermarket or without AM, stock, custom, simple display base, or not...part of diorama, or not....scratchbuilt enhancements, or not....What if, or, historical icon....it's up to you............. :yipee:

How about a three/four month time line for the build.....?? This could the the second GB for 2016 or the first of 2017...

Revell G.B. [?? 2016/2017 ??] "My Way"

Cheers,

Edited by CPNGROATS, Sep 12 2016, 03:49 PM.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Unless anyone has any objections within the next 24 hours then I'll sort a GB for any kit as long as it is Revell. Timescales, how about until the end of the year and if anyone would like some more specifically themed GB's going forward the add them to this thread.

If this goes ahead I will set up the rules etc and send an e-mail out to the membership.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
John: I'm ready to participate..... :woo: :biggles:

Cheers,

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Hello folks, just to let you know I've been doing some GB housekeeping this morning and moved all finished GB's to the relevant section.

They are all still open and can be added to if something you have started has fallen onto the "Shelf of Doom" as and when you pick up the project in the future.

I have started to set up a Revell Your Way GB which I will add some info today with the aim of running it from midnight tonight (BST) to midnight 31/12/2016. To help you I will arrange for Big Ben to be televised to countdown to the finish in the UK.

If anyone would like to suggest future subjects, please put them here.

John
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
John: I attempted to post in the CHAT section of this GB and was unable, the message said that I did not have permission to do so...??? :weep:

Cheers,

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Mmm, I'll check.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Could you try it now.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
Sep 14 2016, 03:33 PM
Could you try it now.
John: I'ts working for me now...........Thanks..!!!

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
:thumb:

Didn't set it up properly - sorry
Goto Top

arni
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I am game for a build.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Group Build Information and Chat · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources