Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Johni's 1st Anniversary Build; Choices, choices.
Topic Started: Jul 10 2012, 02:59 PM (1,136 Views)
Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
In preparation for the 24th, just not sure what to make. It's going to be 1/72 with wings, after that I'm uncertain at the moment.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
I may need to make and explane.
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
Jul 23 2012, 06:59 PM
I may need to make and explane.

Do a X-15 ...... thats "and explane" :jest:

Coat , hat , door :grins:

Andy
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Dammed predictive text.

Should be "I may need to make an X plane" so don't leave the building just yet Andy as you were on the right lines.

No it's not an X-15 (Mmmmm 1:72 X-15 under a B52 :hmm: :wub: ) no it's a bit more topical than that.

With the RAF accepting the F35 this week, I thought I'd go with the opened jawed X-32A which it beat for the contract.

Posted Image

The plastic looks quite good with no flash, fine moulding with recessed panel lines.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The decals are not what you call excessive, and the canopy is nice and thin and clear (not that you can tell in this picture)

Posted Image

Typical Revell instructions but unusually no paint mixing required, just need to convert the colours to Humbrol.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Options include air to air and air to ground munitions but I'm planning a clean version as I'm looking to get it turned round in sharp order so I can get back on the Hustlers.

You never know, I may just extract the Panda 1:48 F35B from the stash for a forced perspective photoshoot.
Edited by Johni044, Oct 22 2017, 09:36 AM.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The jet with a grin... :woo: :rolleyes:
Goto Top

AndrewR
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Now that looks like an interesting plane to have in the collection!

cheers

Andrew
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks,

Just a bit brush work on the sprues at the moment
Posted Image
Edited by Johni044, Oct 22 2017, 09:36 AM.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Kids were quite quiet this morning so I was able to get a bit done:

Cockpit fitted
Posted Image

Intake fitted
Posted Image

Exhaust and vector plates fitted
Posted Image

Even though I'm not having the weapons bay open, the instructions indicate to make and install it, so I have unpainted and the weapons have not been fettled but it does give an indication to anyone unfamiliar with the plane of their location and layout.
Posted Image

And the fuselage halves joined.
Posted Image

Have to say well done Mr Revell on the fit of this, it's excellent so far. After making the Airfix Typhoon I was expecting a lot of trouble with that chin intake, none of it, it went together like a dream. Not much seam issues to resolve either :clap:
Edited by Johni044, Oct 22 2017, 09:37 AM.
Goto Top

AndrewR
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Kids were quiet this morning... :shock:

Does not compute!
Error!
Error!

:jest:
Goto Top

walrus
Member Avatar
Making a pig's ear out of a silk purse.
[ *  *  * ]
I can't compute how people work so quickly and well
Great start John :thumb:
Goto Top

TimJ
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Off to a good start.

Looking at the intake I assume this lost out to the F-35 on aesthetic grounds if nothing else. It looks like a Basking Shark with it's mouth open. :D
Goto Top

AndrewR
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
TimJ
Jul 26 2012, 11:12 PM
Off to a good start.

Looking at the intake I assume this lost out to the F-35 on aesthetic grounds if nothing else. It looks like a Basking Shark with it's mouth open. :D

A sharkmouth What-if would look pretty impressive!
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Great start John .....one of the most ugliest aircraft in history ....no wonder the kids are quiet ...they must of seen it on the box and are too scared to go near your bench :jest: :jest:

Andy ;)
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Would it?

Basking sharks dermal denticles are numerous but very small, wouldn't it look a bit gummy ? :grins:

And :hmm: Rules :shrug:

Jesting aside, I know what you mean. I'm really enjoying the unique appearance of this plane, thought it was a right SLUF when I first saw it in competition with the X35.

After a little reading the X32 appears more to be "son of Harrier" and X35 "son of Freestyle".

BTW when I say "son of Harrier" I'm referring to the lift method, not it looks, I'm sure Sydney Camm would have anything that looks so aesthetically challenged aborted at conception.
Goto Top

AndrewR
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Mind you, given the problems with the F-35, you can't help wondering if the right aircraft won the competition...! :hmm:
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
There is a train of thought that awarding the contract to the Lockheed bid was more political than on the respective merits of the design, Boeing has commercial aircraft whereas Lockheed's viability may have been in question if they did not get the contract. However I gather the Lockheed entrant was at the time closer to the remit of the competition.

Managed to get a little further this evening

First coat of Hu196 applied (I'm brush painting this one).
Posted Image

Canopy masked
Posted Image

And fitted
Posted Image

Then second coat applied and masking removed from the canopy
Posted Image

I will see if it needs any more coats in the morning, hope to get some clear and the decals on tomorrow evening.

Edited by Johni044, Oct 22 2017, 09:39 AM.
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Your build is like the F35......Lightning fast :D
Great work John and nice to see the Hairy Stick making a come back ;)

Andy
Goto Top

AndrewR
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
DH764
Jul 28 2012, 10:37 PM
Your build is like the F35......Lightning fast :D
Great work John and nice to see the Hairy Stick making a come back ;)

Andy

Well, I'm not sure that you could describe the development of the F-35 as "Lightning Fast". More like narcoleptic snail... :P

Q: Why did the F-35 pilot cross the road?

A: To get a coffee, while waiting for the aircraft to be delivered.

This model, on the other hand is looking very nice. :bow:

cheers

Andrew
Goto Top

cjs65
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That's coming along very nicely.

Can't help thinking that would be a nice looking aircraft if the intake was about half the depth it is. :hmm: But then I guess the engine wouldn't work too well. :slap:
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
This has slowed down for a couple of days but it is kleared and decals applied, hoping to get the "pinstriping" done tonight and finish it off tomorrow.

The chin intake must be one of the defining features of this airframe, what strikes me with it though, is that for a "stealth" airplane it would appear that the ducting is a straight tube to the 1st stage compressor fan, now I thought that goes against stealth doctrine in that this is a major area for radar reflection. (Perhaps there are some undisclosed gubbins in there which I'm not aware of on the prototype).

Q Why did the X32 cross the road?

A To avoid it's own reflection.

Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · RevellAtions First Anniversary GB · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources