Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Paveshadow's 1/72 NH-90 NFH
Topic Started: Jul 7 2013, 09:36 PM (1,174 Views)
Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
This is what I intend to build as my main kit for this group build:
Posted Image
Decals:
Posted Image
At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Dutch one.
Posted Image
I rather like the shape of this one, and the plastic looks good too...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
More to follow shortly
James
Edited by Johni044, Aug 15 2017, 03:48 PM.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Looks a nice kit James.
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
It is very nice kit. This one does have several updates and is I believe the second release of the NH-90 by Revell.

Good Choice to build the Dutch one :D ;)
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Made a start on this one tonight, but haven't reached a point that merits a photo yet. However, in the spirit of the group build, I've been doing some research, and think I have now identified the aircraft that I'll be modelling. As far as I've found so far, the only Naval NH-90 to see action so far is the Dutch Navy's N-227, which was on board HNLMS De Ruyter during her deployment with the EU Naval Force as part of Operation Atalanta, deploying in January and returning home in approximately May.

On 19 February 2013, HNLMS De Ruyter and her NH-90 were involved in the location and apprehension of two suspected pirate skiffs off the coast of Somalia.

A brief account of the action can be found on the EU NAVFOR website

What is not clear from the accounts I've seen is whether N-227 was armed in any way, or was one of the 'assets from the Dutch frigate' which actually stopped one of the skiffs. I'd rather suspect at least a door gun if the helicopter forced a skiff to stop, but certainly all of the photos I've seen which were taken during the deployment show the helicopter clean without the external pylons fitted, which probably precludes any heavier weaponry. Admittedly, for 19 Feb the configuration could have been different!

On 25 Feb, the suspected pirates were transferred to authorities in the Seychelles for prosecution

Anyhow, that's the background. More on the build soon.
James
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The NH-90 of the Royal Dutch Navy is being flown, but not fully capable at the time you are building your model James. I do see them and also not armed when they fly over.

During its mission as you have found the NH-90 may have Marines aboard and drop them on to the vessel they enter. ;)
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That makes sense - thanks Eric B)

As I mentioned above, I started by painting some of the interior parts. In order to make the build seem simpler, I also removed all the parts for the non-naval variant, and cut down the sprues to include only the parts that were required for the build. The first sprue shown is the NFH sprue, dated 2011. It's noticeable that it isn't up to the same quality of moulding and plastic as the other sprues, as well as suffering from flash, which is a shame. The remaining sprues are dated 1997, and presumeably represent an early Army variant.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
After that, I started on the interior. There are decals provided for some of the instruments, but they are only appropriate if the displays are powered up, so I didn't use them. The instructions sheet also suggests a decal for the centre console, but I couldn't find it on the sheet. Instead I did a rather basic job of painting the screens black followed by Tamiya clear green, and the centre panel switches were painted black with a cocktail stick.
The fuselage sides were also a little tricky, I found it easier to glue the interior and sides all together at once, including the nose cone, upper engine exhaust cover and rear ramp, to provide some more integrity to the whole assembly while using plastic bands to hold it all together.
Posted Image
Posted Image
After that some filler was required both above and below, as there was a slight mismatch and a resulting ledge. Once sanded down I was able to start adding some of the other main structural parts. However, the sponsons didn't work out as well as I'd have liked, so they'll need some more work yet.
Posted Image
James
Edited by Johni044, Aug 15 2017, 03:51 PM.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
thats looking good mate, she builds up well
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Keep in mind James you should be home early as these helicopters are brand new and very clean. So no weathering just paint it up varnish and decals ;)
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks guys. I started to lose interest, so took a bit of time out to build an Airfix Halifax for another GB elsewhere, and then felt ready to come back to this one. I struggled with the sponsons, as sanding just didn't seem to improve the joins at all, but a bit of filler seems to have overcome this. After that, I started adding the various sensors and aerials.
Posted Image
And then it was ready for painting. The instructions call for Revell 371 mixed with some white. I have to say, I hate painting things this colour, as 371 never seems to go on very well, and this is probably one of the things that was putting me off. However, I've now got the first coat on, and it looks to have gone on better than in many of my previous builds.
Posted Image
Once it's fully dry, it will get at least one more coat, before I start adding the remaining parts. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for some decals to turn up to change the serial to 227 once I've reached the decaling stage.
James
Edited by Johni044, Aug 15 2017, 03:51 PM.
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Having got another couple of coats on, the finish is much more even, and I've started adding the remaining parts and painting some of the details. I'm starting to get back into this one now.
Posted Image
James
Edited by Johni044, Aug 15 2017, 03:52 PM.
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Looking smart James! I have read online on a site the correct colour should be FS 16440 Humbrol 183 or humbrol 129 which is 36440. Perhaps its not too late that I reply to your posting and you can paint 2nd coat in the number given.

Making 371 lighter means you are nearly at white like seen on the SEA scheme ;)
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Eric - I have to agree that adding white didn't seem right, so to be honest I didn't bother. Looking at some photos, I can believe 371 to be an acceptable match in some lighting conditions - I think the other site may be a bit out (honestly, if I could have got away with it I'd have sprayed it Hu165 or Hu64 from a rattle can, but neither looked light enough). However, I'm fairly pleased with the result. Just windows, decals and doors left to add.
Posted Image
Posted Image
James
Goto Top

Disorder
Member Avatar
Still trying my damnedest!
[ *  *  * ]
That looks great, James :clap: Quick work as well.
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Paddy. I have to confess that I've finally lost patience with this one, so I'm calling it done. The decal placement guide is very poor. Many of the decal listed are given the same number. For example, according to the placement guide, a yellow door handle on the starboard side is listed as 72, but so are a couple of dots that go just beneath the starboard exhaust. Another example is decal 105, which goes either side just by below the cargo doors, yet you only get one decal on the sheet. There's also a large number of decals that don't get a mention at all. So, I tried to identify the more obvious decals and applied them, and used the excuse to not apply the tiny ones. The serial was made up using a generic US serials sheet from Fantasy Printshop for the numbers, and the Xtradecal British 8 inch serials for the letter 'N'.
So, here it is...
Posted Image
More pics in the gallery. The good news is that this means I should be able to start the Anniversary Build on time, but I'm also considering one more build for this one, time permitting.
James
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
She is looking nice James, :bow: nothing to be shamed of ;) What was your problem during painting? I take it you brushpainted this model?
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Eric. Yes, it's all brush painted except for the blades, which were rattle-canned with Hu163 and Halfords Rover metallic Storm Grey car paint (not a very scientific match, but the closest to Steel that I had to hand.) The painting problem was my acrylic revell 371 - it's one of a few colours I always find problematic. I suspect my pot had too much carrier solution and not enough pigment, but it always goes on rather streaky, much like many acrylic whites. However, it seems to be improving. In this case it gave a fairly even finish within 3 coats, whereas when I first bought it I needed 5 coats for the Tornado F2 prototype and 4 coats for the Airfix 1/48 Lynx Mk88.

As a postscript, I thought it might be of interest to post another photo so that people can judge the size of this one. Please excuse the dust on the HH-60 - it was built nearly 20 years ago.
Posted Image

James
Edited by Johni044, Aug 15 2017, 03:53 PM.
Goto Top

Disorder
Member Avatar
Still trying my damnedest!
[ *  *  * ]
Thats a real beauty, james. Nice work mate. :thumb:
Goto Top

Eric2020
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
@ James

I do not use the acrylics of Revell, tested it in the past, and was not happy with it. Perhaps it was the thinning of the paint? what did you use for that ?
Goto Top

Paveshadow
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Paddy.

Eric, in most cases I find they go on nicely, even when they appear rather thick out of the pot (I wouldn't like to have to thin them for airbrushing in some cases however.) Where I reach a point that I wish to thin them, or if I am actually airbrushing (which is very rare for me), I use a few drops of water and Windsor and Hall Acrylic Flow Improver.
James
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Picture links restored.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · 2013 A3: Air War at Sea · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources