Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Johnnyb's House of Styrene
Topic Started: Apr 9 2017, 11:25 PM (3,858 Views)
johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I thought I would start a workbench thread for builds that don't fit into other Revell specific or group build threads on this or other forums. This is not going to be a comprehensive workbench thread. If I'm doing a build that fits into another thread or group build, I probably won't duplicate the WIP here. The only other forum that I consistently post on is the Airfix Tribute forum. My portfolio is at this link. I know a lot you are there also. My handle on there is also Johnnyb. Another reason I wanted to start this thread is that the Airfix forum is going to have to move to another host in a couple of months. There will probably be some downtime and I want a second place to post my work.

I work on one half of our kitchen table. This is its current state. Occasionally, I have to clean it off, if we have another use for the table. We are having dinner guests tomorrow, so I will pack all of it into a tote.

Posted Image

I am stuck on an Academy P-47D build. The reason, as usual, is the lousy decals they provide. Complete junk. I am in the process of removing them. I need to pick up some P-47 decals for another build. (Thanks George!) So, I'm sure I will have an extra set to use on this. The build is super easy.

Posted Image

I was going to do some more work on my Blue Box GB - an F-16A. That build will be documented in its own thread. See how this works! Unfortunately, I didn't get to that build, because I needed to do some stash organization. I don't like doing modeling tasks that don't directly lead to pieces of plastic being attached together, but sometimes it is necessary. Usually this happens when SWMBO mentions that there are a few to many boxes around.

I have a modest stash that I keep in a small storage unit outside of my home. I don't like collecting kits. Although, I will admit buying an old Airfix kit occasionally for the cool box art, but those instances are rare. I like to build kits, not look at them.

I mostly went though the empty boxes I have from previous builds. I had quite a few of those and was not sure how to handle the extra parts left over. I don't really have a spares bin. So, what I decided to do is recycle the box after taking of the box end and then putting that in a ziplock bag with the remaining parts. I did not keep the instructions. I would be interested to know how you guys organize your spare parts.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I also have a few random kits that I may sell. The stash still needs more work, but I think that was about all I could handle this weekend.

While I was cleaning, I found an Italieri Huey that I had started a couple of years ago while on a run of helicopter builds. I particularly like the Italieri line of choppers. Most of the small parts had been painted and the interior was mostly assembled. I get great satisfaction from completing small builds. So, I spent most of the weekend finishing the UH-1C gunship "Easy Rider". It came out OK. Definitely not perfect, but not bad. Curiously, you need to put some weight in the nose, because otherwise it would almost sit on its tail! The instructions don't tell you this, of course. Fortunately, I hadn't put the windows at the feet of the pilots in yet. I was able to squeeze in a lead weight before I installed them. The decals silvered slightly, because I did not put a coat of future on first. It is completely hand painted. Most of my builds are hand painted, with some use of rattle cans. This leads to a bit of difficulty when the build has windows installed before painting. I guess if I had a good matte coat that I could brush on, that may work. Sometimes I flatten out Future and use that, but it is pretty thin and I think it may drip over the windows that I want to keep gloss. Anyway, here are the photos. Stay turned for more randomness.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Johnnyb
Edited by johnnyb, Apr 9 2017, 11:26 PM.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johnnyb: I enjoyed hearing/seeing some of the dynamics of your House of Stryene........... :thumb:

I seldom throw out any extra parts. I keep them somewhat sorted in little parts bins [ from the hardware store ], in other box's [ vintage cigar box's ] and larger pieces in repurposed stationary box's.

I usually keep one copy of the kit instructions, put into clear archival sheets and kept in a three wing binder. Extra decals are also stored this way along with ant after market sheets I've acquired along the way.

My hobby bench/stash is primarily located in half of an attached two car garage. I keep our cats out of this area so I can leave current projects out w/o fear of a cat attack........ :cat: :cat: :cat:

also, I generally keep the top panel of the kit's box art............

I like your idea of bagging left over parts with the appropriate box art end panel. Two summers ago I bagged up [using larger bags] many of my long term W.i.P.'s....It sometimes a problem to find all of the assorted parts after many years of storage............ :confused:

Your P-47D and Huey look good...... :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers,

ggc :codger:

Edited by CPNGROATS, Apr 10 2017, 12:36 AM.
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Watching out for your builds here .
The Huey looks the great with the shark mouth :thumb:

Andy
Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for dropping in guys! My next build will be courtesy of George (CPNGROATS) who kindly sent me this Jo-Han P-47D model in 1/72nd scale. I kinda like the box art!

Posted Image

I have never built a kit from Jo-Han. I do know that a lot of their older auto kits can be quite pricey. The are two trees of parts. The molding actually looks quite good for a kit of this age. The panel lines are recessed.

Posted Image

George also kinly included an aftermarket cockpit, which will be a dramatic improvement over the kit version, which is basically a seat!

Posted Image
Posted Image

The kit can be built as either a bubble top or a razorback. Canopies are provided for both. The canopies appear to be of usable thickness. A stand is also provided. Not sure if I am going to use it. If I do use it, I won't have to deal with the lack of detail in the wheel wells. Mmmmm.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The decals are ancient. I will be substituting some aftermarket ones. (I need a set for my Academy build also.)

Thanks for the kt George! I aspire to come close to the quality of your build.

Johnnyb
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]

Johnnyb: My pleasure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :thumb: I'm looking forward to your build of this vintage kit...

Cheers,

Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
While the Future was drying on my F-16, I cleaned up and dry fitted the fuselage parts of the Jo-Han. I have a feeling that I am going to be making a razorback with this build, so I used the insert part for that. The fit was very, very good. I will definitely have to use some filler, but not a whole tube!

I am going to begin the build by building up and detail painting the cockpit.

Johnnyb

Posted Image
Posted Image
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
:pop: :pop:

Cheers,

Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
cracking bench mate, and some nice models there
Goto Top

arni
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
:medal: :like:
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
I've seen that kit in the flesh and for such an old kit it's actually quite nice .
Add in the fact you can do a Bubbletop or Razorback .....result !! :thumb:

Enjoy the build B)

Andy
Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Just a little update to let you know what is on the bench today. I'm building a Bf109 E-3 in 1/72 for the Airfix forum GB.. Going to be finished as an aircraft fighting in the Spanish civil war. Build on!

Johnnyb

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johnnyb, I'm fond of the 109... :wub: Your early E is looking good... :thumb: :clap:

Cheers,

Goto Top

arni
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That looks pretty nice Johnny,esp considering the size of it!
Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Still working on the 109. However, along with decals for the 109, I have also ordered some for the Jo-han P-47. These are the ones I chose: DECALS They cover aging razorbacks that were used for bomber formation monitoring and air-sea rescue. Pretty cool, huh? I think I am going to make one of the formation birds. I definitely want to do an SAR, but I have to scratch build the rafts carried under the wings and the flares under the fuselage. Not a big deal, but something I will do later. I am also going to order some replacement cannon and wheels for this build. The formation ones have flat wheel covers. I plan to put the first coat of green on the cockpit tonight. I have some references I found to guide me. See: Instrument panel and there are many photos of the cockpit online.

Hopefully, some pics soon! Model on!

Johnnyb
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johnnyb, sounds like planning continues .......... :woo: That's a nice IP reference pic... :thumb: I think there is a aftermarket resin add-on for the droppable life-rafts but it is in 1/48 scale....I think I have this somewhere in the stash....

Cheers,

Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah. Some company made one a long time ago. They also came with the flares. If you need a 1/48 P-47 to put them on, I got one in the stash. There is a company that makes SAR rafts for English planes, but they would need some modification. I think I can handle that, if necessary. The flares are easy to make. I have to do some more research on that. The decals are cool, aren't they?

Johnnyb
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
johnnyb
May 11 2017, 02:04 AM
The decals are cool, aren't they?

Johnnyb
The decals are cool... :woo: Very colorful.......... :thumb:

Cheers,

Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Friday night on the bench. Work was rough this week and its VERY nice to be back in the House of Styrene! The bench is crazy tonight. Some would say there is too much going on, but I say ... it's juuuust right!

Posted Image

Decals arrived in the mail.

Posted Image

I got the resin cockpit painted last night. Looks pretty good. I realized that there is much controversy regarding the color the cockpit in these Republic built razorbacks. I always run into some kind of color controversy in almost every build. Why couldn't they have invented Kodachrome in 1936! Seems most authorities say the color is Dull Dark Green, which is markedly darker than the typical interior green. So, I picked up a bottle of Model Master Euro I Dark Green, which the same authorities say is the closest match. Here is my humble attempt:

Posted Image

I had some challenges working with the resin, mostly due to my inexperience. I lost the control stick, broke the IP into three pieces and, after this pic was taken, lost the gun sight. I was able to glue the IP back together and carve a new control stick out of a toothpick. I am going to have to carve a new gun sight.

Posted Image

I cut out the posts in the fuselage which would have held the seat.

Posted Image

From photos, it looks like i need to install a headrest. Got it installed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally, got the horizontal stabilizers on.

Posted Image

The fit on the kit is remarkably good. I only had to use a little Tamiya putty. Hope you guys are having a good modeling weekend. Think I will get up early and decal the 109. See you tomorrow.

Johnnyb
Edited by johnnyb, May 13 2017, 06:15 AM.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johnnyb. Looks like great progress on your Johan P-47.... :thumb: The resin cockpit is a treat.... :woo:

The 109 may be my favorite to model.....so "German" don't you know.... :biggles:

Cheers,

Edited by CPNGROATS, May 13 2017, 01:59 PM.
Goto Top

TimJ
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The resin P-47 cockpit looks very nice. The kit looks god for it's age too.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Not the Revell workbench · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources