Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Photobucket
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 07:00 PM (1,187 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Some of you may be wondering what the weird looking Photobucket stuff is all about and why the usual images on the board and within posts have disappeared. It's all down to Photobucket, who for years have offered free third party hosting, but suddenly decided without any prior warning or announcement that they are going to start charging $399.99 per annum. I don't have any issue with charging for hosting, but I do have a massive issue with doing it without any warning and effectively blackmailing people who have been using the hosting service for some time. My position on this is up yours Photobucket, you're not getting even a thimble full of urine out of me. In the mean time I will be looking for alternative hosting, but seeing as I'm off on my holibobs for a couple of weeks I will replace the board images with text until I'm able to get it sorted properly, so I do apologise but things will eventually get back to normal.

Those of you who have been using Photobucket for hosting will find that their images will eventually get replaced with the blackmail message, if it hasn't occurred already. Regrettably you will either have to cough up, or find another host and replace all the code, unfortunately there are no other alternatives. If you feel that this is all too much and can't be bothered to do anything about it, I think we can all understand. Such is life.

:cross:
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Paul, am I understanding this correctly...? Photobucket wants $399.99 per year from every one who uses Photobucket to post messages [images] on the internet.... :shock:

I've noticed that my pictures have been slow to load on the Revallations site...

Some time ago I did pay some additional $ to photobucket to expand my storage....

Regards,

ggc :codger:
Edited by CPNGROATS, Jul 1 2017, 04:00 PM.
Goto Top

arni
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Bit annoyed at this,had a BAD! day and adios p/b.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
CPNGROATS
Jun 30 2017, 07:22 PM
Paul, am I understanding this correctly...? Photobucket wants $399.99 per year from every one who uses Photobucket to post messages [images] on the internet.... :shock:

Unfortunately it's what has happened.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
ive just opened a igmur and flicker accounts, im going to test whats best
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Strange, no mention of this "change" when I get on my Photobucket account..?? :hmm: [UPDATE] after searching around the Photobucket site, it looks like no more free accounts, only 3 paid options, the option that allows 3rd party picture hosting will be $399.99 / year. My account profile says I will need to pay the annual fee by July 30, 2017. on a monthly basis that's about $33.00 USD.

So, is it worth it..... :hmm:

Regards,

Edited by CPNGROATS, Jul 1 2017, 04:06 PM.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
do you pay for yours, i do for 1 account $2.99 a month and currently this is not affected, but it will be

the free accounts have been blocked
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The Ts & Cs say that the basic pay account will not cover third party hosting, so expect your images to get blocked after the next payment is due. Personally I would cancel and tell 'em to get stuffed.
Goto Top

fnugen
Member Avatar
Amateur builder for life
[ *  *  * ]
I'm able to get into my free account without any mention of upgrading. I'm going to try a test picture.

Posted Image
Goto Top

arni
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
A test...
http://imgur.com/cOmyQGP
Goto Top

fnugen
Member Avatar
Amateur builder for life
[ *  *  * ]
Got the trike picture Arni.
Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I use imgur and have been happy with them, but I may start a blog where I can host my own photos. I don't want to be at the mercy of a photohosting site. I really feel for everyone that this has affected. Very unfair and the charge is outrageous.

I think there is a way you can download your photos from PB, isn't there? Or, are they going to charge you to do that too!?!

Johnnyb
Edited by johnnyb, Jun 30 2017, 09:32 PM.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
i need ot get the forum graphics moved asap i think
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Well Gents, I'm currently on Photobucket "plus 20" . My account info says that after July 30, 2017 I will need to choose one of three plans and pay an annual fee. The only plan, [' plus plan 500' ] that allows 3rd party hosting. the cost for this option is $399.99/ year...! That's about $33.00 USD/month...... :aah:

So looks like my Bucket will be kicked on 7/30/17. :-/ too bad ,really ,as I have approx. 1,800 files.... :slap: My initial reaction was W.T.F. :wall: But going to another Host and all of the file xfer/relinking seems like a real pain in the A_ _ !

So, I'm considering paying the $$$, as an option.... :tif:

Regards,

Edited by CPNGROATS, Jul 1 2017, 04:14 PM.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
There's still a number of hosts that offer a free service, so shop around. Yes it's a hassle transferring thousands of files and fixing broken links. I'll be selective about what I fix, trivial stuff I'll just delete the link to remove the PB ransom note.

Personally I'm going to be looking at doing my own hosting, so there's no issue of a free service being changed to a pay service. Yes it will cost, but probably a few pounds a month, not hundreds of pounds a year.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
anyone use smugmug?
Goto Top

fred
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I've gone back to my old Picture Trail account.
It was only good for a small amount of photos, thats why I left it but I've 'upgraded' for 15.66 but its still only good for about 500 -600 photos. That sounds a lot, but doing GBs and WiPs, a Portfolio Gallery etcetera soon uses that amount
I have 1750 on PB which need rehomed
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
:wall: Its where I have stored all my pictures of my son which I now cannot get at. I am incandescent with rage at the moment. All those precious memories gone.

Goto Top

fred
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
You should still be able to access the photos.
PB are only blocking the facility of putting photos on forums etcetera
Goto Top

IanW
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Given the no of people that use such sites as the sole repository for their photos it seems to me they have been influenced by the current spate of ransomware threats and decided to jump on the bandwagon.

I guess their rationale is that they get no advertising when people use it for '3rd part hosting.

I hope ends up a 'bitten own bum' episode!
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Site News · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources