Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
1/72 Tornado Weapons Pylons; Modification
Topic Started: Oct 5 2017, 08:16 AM (161 Views)
Uncle Pete
[ *  * ]
For what it's worth, having launched one of the microscopic plastic spring clips that hold the weapons pylons in place into the great beyond and broken another, I made new ones out of thin, stiffish wire then put a dot of all-purpose glue on top to secure them. Seems to work a bit better than the stock parts.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
To be honest Pete, although it's a great idea to be able to rotate the pylons for posing the models with wings swept or extended, the chances of the plastic pins surviving more than a couple of rotations are pretty small.
Goto Top

Uncle Pete
[ *  * ]
Very true, Paul, but I love a challenge! I'd have thought the same arrangement they use for props would be the logical way to go. I have to wonder why they don't make a few metal parts for things like these and undercarriage legs, though.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
why not use neodium magnets then you could interchange weapons at will, in fact i may try it myself with the current build
Edited by Mark M, Oct 5 2017, 02:59 PM.
Goto Top

Uncle Pete
[ *  * ]
I've seen that suggestion elsewhere, Mark, and like it but it's a bit complicated for this beginner. As it is, the pylons finally defeated me (after lulling me into a false sense of security) so they'll be glued in at the wings outstretched position. Could be an excuse to get another Tornado... I just have to remind the missus, could be worse, could be golf.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
So what are "neodium" magnets...............? :hmm:
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
CPNGROATS
Oct 5 2017, 06:35 PM
So what are "neodium" magnets...............? :hmm:
Mega strong magnets and you can buy them in really small sizes. One of the L & C members uses them to mount his flying posed aircraft models on acrylic rod. When he said he was using magnets I thought they'd never be strong enough to hold the model on, but they do. Check out this thread (it's just gone up tonight).
Goto Top

Uncle Pete
[ *  * ]
That's a cracking plane... Never heard of it before. Do you get those magnets in the hobby shop? I'm certainly considering using them in future when my skills are a bit more reliable. (And isn't there a molybdenum magnet just as strong? I could google it but that feels unsportsmanlike.... I'd rather converse!)
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
got mine off ebay for pence
Goto Top

Uncle Pete
[ *  * ]
Cool. Thanks, Mark. I'll have to have a look-see.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
just make sure when you mount them you get the poles right
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Aircraft · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources