Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Hi from Poland
Topic Started: Jan 25 2018, 03:11 AM (247 Views)
Ralesong
[ * ]
Hi, I'm Ralesong
I recently started thinking about picking modeling as another hobby adding to gaming. I used to do some models somewhere about 15 years ago and I have literally no idea where to start now, which kits or even general theme. Ultimately I would love to make models of things like Saturn V, but I imagine that it may be kinda hard for a noob. Also I don't exactly have time for long sessions, at least not in the next couple of weeks. So any sort of advice on how to get started will be much appreciated.
Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Mark M
[ *  *  * ]
:welcome:

Hi and Welcome

go to a model store buy a cheap kit that takes your fancy, prob a gift set to start with as everythings there, then well just have fun
Edited by Mark M, Jan 25 2018, 07:39 AM.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
:welcome: to RevellAtions Ralesong! I agree with Mark, pick something that you find appealing and give it a go, but something simple to start off with.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Warm :welcome: to the group.

Re-iterate previous advice, if starting off, donít expect miracles and donít be to critical of yourself.
Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
Thanks for warm welcome and advice guys :)
I took it and picked up a 1:144 Sputnik Launcher from PARC. Not too many small parts except for engine nozzles. I may have to figure out some replacement for Vernier Thrusters however, since they are kinda badly casted in the frame and cutting them out may be tricky. But I think that I should be able to replace them with toothpick tips if necessary.
I would share some photos, but paintjob is going so messy it's scary.
Aaaaaand I did accidentally broke one piece that is supposed to fix side boosters in place so I will definetely need to replace that.
Even though it's small kit, it will take me few days to finish it because my working hours don't exactly help me in making more than one painting session per day.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
HELLO from Pennsylvania, U.S.A. Looking forward to seeing your model of Sputnik.......... :woo:

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
It's done :) Apparently I misjugded the required time :)

Posted Image

I placed it inside my PC case so it can fill some empty space and look good :)
Edited by Ralesong, Jan 27 2018, 11:41 PM.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Thatís just got me humming Thunderbirds to myself.
Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
Then you'll be happy to know that I have an idea to build models of all rockets from R-7 family.
Well, at least the main designs. Soyuz alone has like 10 versions (not counting Soyuz 2) so building separate model for each may be kinda overkill.
I would like to keep the current scale of 1:144, but I'm not sure if I want to stay on the current quality/detail level which isn't too high, or go higher and more expensive. I suppose that bottom line in that question would simply be going cheap now and remaking the set after some time when I gain experience and skill. I would definetely appreciate some advice. Also, when I'm done gathering information and actually start the project, would it be a good idea to start a dedicated thread for the whole or for each model separately? Not to mention that I may actually try converting some models into others, for example Sputnik into R-7 or Vostok into Voskhod.
Aaaaaand that is how noobie is going full bananas I suppose :yipee:
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Mach 2 have a whole range of R7 variants in 1/72 scale. Be aware before you're tempted to buy that Mach 2 kits have a reputation for being 'challenging' to build.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Your Soviet rocket looks very nice.........thanks for sharing..............

Cheers,

ggc

Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
peebeep, thanks for pointing me towards Mach 2. Looks like it's the only company that offers such large collection right now. I tried finding other source (that would be cheaper - it is a factor) but I couldn't, so it looks like I will have to go with it. But first I need a dedicated desk for assembly :)
Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
I am posting again instead of editing because I need to attract attention since I need assistance.

In order to practice a bit I picked up the 1:144 Vostok, also from Parc.
This is current state of model
Posted Image
However, I have problem. The interstage of this rocket was made out of struts and those struts are kinda crappy in the kit. They broke apart as I tried to form them in various ways to fit. Here is picture I made during one of the tries
Posted Image
I need some way to replace them, an you recommend what would be best? Diameter of those is roughly 1mm. I was thinking about some thin wire, but maybe there is better idea?
Edited by Ralesong, Feb 7 2018, 04:22 AM.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Have you tried immersing them in warm/hot water and taping them over a suitable diameter tube first, then fixing them in place one rib at a time?
Goto Top

Ralesong
[ * ]
Yeah, that is how I broke one of the pieces.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Welcome · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources