Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Dornier Do17 Z-10 "Kaus"; 1:72 Scale (03933)
Topic Started: Feb 26 2018, 07:55 PM (403 Views)
Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Dornier Do17 Z-10 “Kauz”
1:72 Scale
Kit Number 03933

Posted Image

This will be an out of box build review of the Dornier Do17 Z-10, an in box review of which can be found Here

If I deviate from the instructions or find any error, tips etc. I will detail them throughout the thread and recap at the end.

Stage 1 & 2
Cockpit stated. With newer kits, I tend to build as much a practicable before I start painting.

Posted Image

Stage 3
The instrument panel halves are joined. The two sections should not be flat. To get the correct angle if the left side is cemented to the fuselage and the glue on the panel joins has not cured completely yet. Then putting the fuselage halves together will produce the correct orientation.
The instructions call for the dials to be painted black, but if you are using the decals provided, this does not need to be done.
Posted Image

Stage 4
Trim wheel (?) assembled
Posted Image

Stage 5
Further details added to the port side of the cockpit.
Posted Image
The instructions are a little out in this stage in relation to the position of the trim wheel. If you look at the schematic, the lower leg appear to locate in a slot on the lower member. This is not the case, it should just rest on the top of this member.

After that a little paint was applied together with the pilot seat and control yoke assembly from stages 6 and 7 to complete stage 8. The IP decals were also applied.
Posted Image

Stage 9
Should be the construction of the starboard seat, however I delayed construction of this as I wanted to use the next stage to assist in lining everything up.
Posted Image

Stage 10
Some starboard cockpit details added.
Posted Image

Then the seat constructed in stage 11
Posted Image

That peeps is where I got to last night. Hopefully further updates tomorrow.

Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
John, Nice details.. :thumb:

Cheers,

ggc
Edited by CPNGROATS, Feb 28 2018, 02:26 AM.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
:) nice start John.
A bit to wee for my eyes though. :nerd:

Steve

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Cheers, I know I have to take my glasses off to make them.
Goto Top

beany
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Excellent start on this one mate - the cockpit painting is beautiful.

Very much looking forward to seeing this one come to fruition.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Cheers guys.

Stage 12
Putting the fuselage bracing in place, initially I glued part A43 in place onto the starboard side of the fuselage then lined up and held together the two fuselage halves until the glue had cured, for the rest I taped the fuselage together the slotted the bulkheads in place and allowed some extra thin to run down the joints on the starboard side.
Posted Image

Stage 13
Building up the rear gunners seat (that backrest looks like a spine splitter in an emergency)
Posted Image

The fuselage is joined together in stage 14 (exceptional fit). Then the rear gunners sit fitted in stage 15.
Posted Image

Allowing the crew access hatch (this will need just a touch of fettling later) and lower cockpit glazing to be attached.
Posted Image

The fuel tank is built up and inserted next even though I doubt it will ever be seen again.
Posted Image

Construction then moves onto the wings for stages 16 & 17
Posted Image

Stages 20 to 22 are the U/C main wheel and oleo construction but I’ll leave them until later in the build process.

Fuselage and wings joined in stage 23, again a very good fit.
Posted Image

Stages 24 to 34 in the instruction then move onto the tailplane assembly which shows the two sides being made up of two sub assembles. To assist lining everything up correctly I prefer to do the horizontal and vertical control surfaces separately.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So that’s the end of day 2 and she’s looking very Do17 like now. TTFN.

Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Great work, John! I also try and fit as much of the cockpit together before I start painting. The tolerances are just so tight these days.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Stages 35, 36,37 and 38 moves onto the U/C bay by inserting the front and rear bulkheads and rear U/C members.
Posted Image

Followed by the Bay sides. It’s at this stage the instructions start to loose something in translation, the sides are indicated as being C36,A16(x2), C28, SHOULD BE C31,C32,C33 & C34. they do not appear to be handed with two left sides and two right ones. Fit here is a little tight but nothing insurmountable. Make sure the bottom of the sides line up with the internal bay roof rigging and that the tops are flush with the front and rear bulkheads.
Posted Image

Stages 40 and 41 move onto the engine firewall and engine mounts. The instructions have you glue the engine mounts together before attaching to the firewall. I would recommend a different route. Firstly the instructions refer to the firewall in stage 41 as part C31 it SHOULD BE parts C30 and C35, neither are handed so either can be used for each engine. Orientation of the wall is important, the flat face should be to the front and the lip facing the rear. I found the holes needed opening up very slightly to avoid putting too much pressure on the engine mounts and damaging them.

I would glue the mount with three location pins to the bulkhead first but have an engine nacelle part C21/C26 available to check the alignment first. Before gluing check the orientation of the engine mounts by dry fitting into its place in the nacelle (there is an alignment tab on the inner lip) and ensure the locating pins that attach to the engine are dead North East South & West. If they are at NE, SE, SW & NW then the mounts are in the wrong holes. Once happy then glue in place then attach the other side.
Posted Image

Stage 42
Attach the engine mounts to the nacelle.
Posted Image

Stage 43 and 47
The engine nacelles are cemented in place, I found these needed at little pressure to get in place and needed a smidgen of filler on the front lower join.
Posted Image
A word of warning here, the orientation of the plane in stage 47 is the reverse of stage 43 which could be confusing. Not sure why construction moves onto engine next but I chose to finish nacelle construction first.

Stage 44, 45 48 & 49
Construction of the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then skipped forward to stage 63 as I will be wanting to get some pain on before I put the engines etc on.
And from this picture you may tell why I now know why the engine mount orientation is so important. :blink: :$ :(
Posted Image

Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
:woo: wow, thats going together quickly. Looks like the fit and detail level are very good. Its nice to see this going together as I do like the look of the Do17/217's.

Steve

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Got a couple of coats of Anthracite on her last night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hoping to get some clear on this morning and some decals tonight.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Great looking details.......... :thumb: :thumb:
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
A shiney decalled Dornier.

Posted Image
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
:wub: sweet.
Who's gloss have you used?

Goto Top

johnnyb
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That looks great!
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Cheers, brushed Humbrol Clear Steve.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Aikidoka
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
Mar 6 2018, 11:09 AM
brushed Humbrol Clear Steve.
:thumb:

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Last nights progress,

After finishing off the decals it was time for a couple of coats of Aquacolor Mat Varnish.

Posted Image

Before going back to step 50 and installing the engines and stage 52 the cowlings.

Posted Image

The uncovered engine is the one I messed up the mounts on, I cut of the prongs and fitted it flush with CA and a touch of extra thin on the exhaust ports. (I fine tuned the alignment after the photo was taken as it was slightly out)

Then went back to stages 20 & 21 to make up the U/C and wheels which are fitted in stage 55. Wheels and mudguards still to be fitted but I want the glue to cure solid overnight.

Posted Image
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
After Decaling, sealing them in ans a couple of coats of Aquacolor Mat varnish, it was on with the remaining construction which was rather piecemeal and skiping back and forth in the instructions.

Starting with the main U/C.
Posted Image

and lower rear gunner position.

Posted Image

The canopy

Posted Image

Spinners, props, guns and front sensor.

Posted Image

U/C and bomb bay doors.

Posted Image

and various aerials etc

Posted Image

finishing with the wing pitot and Ezline aerial.

Posted Image

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
In summary, take care with construction where the parts a incorrectly numbered in the instructions and test fit before committing to cement and you should have an enjoyable experience making this excellent fitting kit.

Oh, and this kit does come with an alternative canopy, if you want to save yourself a wasted couple of hours, make sure you mask the right one.

Make: Revell
Scale: 1:72
Kit Number: 03933
Model: Dornier Do17 Z-10 “Kauz”
Markings: I./NJG2, 1940
Paint Method: Brush painted
Paints Used: Revell Aquacolor thoughout.
Decals Fixing: Humbrol Decalfix
Weathering: None.
Varnishes: Humbrol Clear and Revell Aquacolor Mat Varnish, Brushpainted.
Glues: Tamiya extra thinthroughout except for, Formula 560 for clear part attachment, and CVA for the whip aerial.
Aftermaket: Xtradecal swastikas, Ezline aerial.
Scratch Build: None.

I have to say the fit of this kit was exceptional with not one bit of filler anywhere.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A big thank you to Revell once again for providing the review sample.
Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
John, Great build... :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Revell Full review builds · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources