Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Ford GT 2017; 1/24 (07678)
Topic Started: Apr 14 2018, 06:50 PM (76 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Ford GT 2017

Back in the sixties, when I was a little lad, the sports GT class was really coming into its own. There was the stunningly beautiful Ferrari P3, the elegant Lola T70, the Chaparral's with their newfangled wings. And also there was the Ford GT 40 - menacing, brutal, thunderous, the coolest car in Christendom. Ford Motorsport were given a simple brief when the car was first conceived - beat Ferrari at Le Mans, which it subsequently did. '40' reflects the car's 40" (actually 40.5") height. More recently in the noughties Ford manufactured just over 4000 updated GT 40's for anybody well heeled enough to own (let alone run) one. Somebody at Ford must have decided they needed an all new supercar to compete with other marques, but with some of the GT 40 mystique and so we have the Ford GT. I have to say I liked the look of this car when it was first unveiled. It pays more than a nod to it's illustrious forebear, whilst looking completely up-to-date, a true rival to the current crop of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Paganis etc. It looks good from any angle, always testament to an outstanding design and has the bodywork dramatically sculpted around the engine bay with the striking feature of the ties linking roof with rear wheel arches. Stunning (but that's just my opinion :) )

Enough waffle, what about this new kit? It is an addition to the Easy Click System range which is aimed at casual and tyro builders and I was curious to see if Revell could use this style of kit to achieve a result that is easy to build yet sufficiently scale-ish to pass muster as a decent model in its own right. We usually start with box art, so here goes.

Posted Image

This is not 'buy me' box art for me personally, although I'm sure it's been chosen to please the demographic it's aimed at.

Posted Image

I would think Revell are looking to standardise on a box size for Easy Click kits, because although it's not entirely true the contents of this one are hiding in a corner, it would fit comfortably in smaller packaging.

Posted Image

The components - all twenty seven of them - are tidily packed in separate poly bags. In the case of the body shell and transparent parts this is essential to avoid scratches on the respective glossy and transparent surfaces.

Posted Image

The body shell, where to begin, this is possibly the work of a plastic engineering genius. To get a one piece shell like this with all its compound curves, sculpting and undercuts must require an extremely complex injection moulding tool. There are some mould lines, this is the inevitable result of using a multi part tool, but they are positioned so as to be as inconspicuous as possible. Notwithstanding this, the body shell really is a thing of great beauty. Then there is the finish. the prototype was rolled out with a sumptuous candy-metal flake paint job. Even hardened auto modellers would wince at replicating this and it would likely be totally beyond the casual/tyro builder. The answer is simple, mould it 'finished' with a metal flake surface. I have a couple of caveats in respect of this, firstly I'd of liked the surface to be a little bit shinier, although a test with a white nail buffer looks promising. Secondly, I'd prefer the blue to be a little less greyer and quite a bit bluer. Notwithstanding, the body is a stunning piece of engineering and injection moulding technology. Here's a closer view to illustrate the metal flake.

Posted Image

You will also notice that the grille on the arch and the vanes next to the rear screen are already finished matt black, no painting required. Moving on.

Posted Image

The black parts consist of pan, tub, seats and a few other bits and pieces. The instructions include some paint tips to get different shades and some of the decals are for the dash and interior. You could expend some time and effort in scratch building a few pieces, there are no belts for example, but that isn't really the point of this kit, is it? One disappointing feature is that the mirrors have no reflecting surface and are hollow. Here's some closer views.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As a general rule I'd say there is enough there to make the interior look reasonably 'busy', especially if you do follow the instructions and add a few dabs of paint. The projection to the tub is the headlamp assembly and in real life these are chrome type units with glazed lenses, so a bit of paint here would pay dividends in respect of the final appearance. Likewise the brake discs and calipers will be very visible behind the spoked wheels and would be well worth painting for the best effect.

Posted Image

As with the body shell, the transparencies are outstanding, they are as thin and distortion free as you could expect short of using optical glass. As a bonus, the black edging, that would be a mega tricky job to mask is already done for you. The rear lamps also arrive suitable coloured, another tricky masking job you don't have to worry about.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wheels are something the eye focuses on when looking at cars, that's why petrol heads love to have trick wheels. As with the rest of the plastic components in the kit Revell have not shown any tendency to slacking in the wheel department. They are beautifully moulded and appear to have been spray painted in an appropriate colour and look completely convincing.

Posted Image

Vinyl tyres, not a lot you can say. I think I'd dull them down a bit to look more convincing.

Posted Image[/url]

You get to choose either vinyl 'stickers', or waterslide decals. The vinyl colours look a little undercooked to me, they could be more vibrant, also whilst the waterslide sheet has some silver colours printed on it, the vinyl doesn't. Possibly it's the case that people wanting to use the 'stickers' won't be bothered.

Posted Image

The instructions come as the standard glossy A4 sized booklet in well illustrated steps that should leave you in no doubt where everything goes and with a comprehensive painting guide at the back. The latter is a bit moot since the kit is mostly self-coloured, but in any case check out that sexy profile!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a very impressive looking kit from Revell, irrespective of it's snaptite nature. The finished model should look good and it's my intention to get stuck into as soon as possible to see if it performs as well as I think it should, so watch out for a build thread. From this in-box perusal I'd think it would certainly tick all the boxes for a beginner, a casual builder or somebody who simply wants to get a car model on the shelf in the shortest possible time. For an old hand suffering with an extreme bout of AMS I'd suggest it looks like a perfect stress buster. Go get one.

Link to instructions

Review sample courtesy of Revell.

Posted Image

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit:

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Great review Paul, interested to see how it goes together.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Want to paint your Ford GT a different color? Looking for inspiration?

Posted Image
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
It would have to be Gulf colours for me.
Goto Top

TimJ
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I was thinking Gulf colours myself when reading the review, then I saw the red with white stripes. :)

It does look good when built up and painted.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/112159-revells-2017-ford-gt/
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Revell Kit Reviews · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources