Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Polikarpov I-16 Rata; 1:32 Scale (03914)
Topic Started: Apr 20 2018, 07:12 AM (195 Views)
Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Polikarpov I-16 Type 24
1:32 Scale

An in box review of this kit can be found Here

Normally on build reviews I build the kit purely out of the box, however with this being a larger scale kit with an open cockpit I've decided to put some belts in, so if I'm doing that I'll try a little weathering as well. I will be using brush painted Revell Aquacolor paints, Tamiya Extra Thin Cement unless I state otherwise in the narrative.

Construction starts with joining the wing tops and bottoms.
Posted Image

Next is attaching the lower cowling, however first I cut out and dry fitted the fuselage halves together.
Posted Image

The panel was fitted
Posted Image

This was then offered up the the fuselage to make sure everything lined up.
Posted Image

Moving onto the cockpit internals starting with the floor and seat.
Posted Image

and internal framing. Alignment was achieved by dry sliding the compoments into the dry fitted fuselage, then glue applied to the starboard side and waiting for the glue to cure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next will be the I/P and more cockpit work, that will be in the next update.

Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
:pop:
I remember watching an interview with GŁnther Rall who said that the Rata was a very dangerous opponent.

Steve

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Apparently it was only known as Rata by the Nationalist forces in the Spanish civil war, other names by the Soviets and Finnish.

Anyway the belts arrived on Saturday.
Posted Image

So I cracked on. The I.P. was assembled, for this I paintged the panel leaving the lens alone, then applied the decal to the inside using a thin coat of Humbrol Clear as a fixing agent.(sorry about the fuzzy picture, the camera must have focused on the framing.)
Posted Image

The belts were installed (Eduard ED33185) and dirtied down a little with a dark wash.
Posted Image

The oil tank was affixed to the firewall.
Posted Image

Followed handles for the guns.
Posted Image

U/C crank and other controls on the starboard side.
Posted Image

Rudder was assembled.
Posted Image

I did not fix the clear parts in the top panel, choosing to but them in with PVA after painting.
Posted Image

Fuselage was then joined.
Posted Image

And fixed to the wings.
Posted Image

You can see the Geebee influence on the design when its together.
TTFN.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
:thumb: nice work on thebpit John. Those Eduard belts certainly bring it to life and in 32nd are a minimum anyone should add.

Steve

Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Goto Top

Martin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
:like: can't wait to see painting finish.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
That will be any days soon Martin.

Still on with construction, next up the control surfaces, firstly the wings and rudder.
Posted Image

Then the tail planes.
Posted Image

Which were then attached to the fuselage.
Posted Image
The tailplane/fuselage join was the first time durring construction that the fit was not perfect, this will need just a little tidy up before painting.

Onto the engine, the instructions would have you build the radial, mounting frame and exhaust then attach the entire structure to the firewall. After a little thought I opted not to go this route for one main reason. That is the exhaust stacks should vent through the engine covers and I did not want the exhausts not to line up with these vents. So firstly I cemented the engine mount to the firewall.

Posted Image

Then dry fitted the engine covers in place and retained them there with Tamiya tape.

Posted Image

The engine was constructed and the first set of exhaust pipes attached.
Posted Image

This enables me to slide the radial into position and fine tune the exhaust alignment allowing the cement to cure before moving onto the next set.
Posted Image

When all the exhausts were attached, the radial was cemented into position and the engine covers removed.
Posted Image

Finally the Battery? was carefully put in position with tweezers and cemented in place.
Posted Image

The engine front cover was then glued in place. (side panels still dry fitted at this stage)
Posted Image
Think I need to dirty down that yellow a tad.

Time for some paint next.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
:hmm: I'm sorely tempted to get one of these little beauties.

Steve

Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
jacksdad64
Apr 27 2018, 08:08 AM
:hmm: I'm sorely tempted to get one of these little beauties.

Steve

me too............ :woo:

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Got some paint on the Rata, a couple brushed on coats of Revell Aquacolor 99 Aluminium thinned with some water.

Posted Image

Not a going for a natural metal finish as the plane is of wood and covered fabric construction.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
May 2 2018, 06:52 AM
Not a going for a natural metal finish as the plane is of wood and covered fabric construction.
:hmm: so why the silver colour?

Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Because that is the colour it was painted.

Posted Image
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
:woo: ah so.

Goto Top

Martin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
In silver looks very good. I Still can not understand how is possible to achieve such smooth finish (no strokes) with brush.
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Martin
May 2 2018, 07:25 PM
In silver looks very good. I Still can not understand how is possible to achieve such smooth finish (no strokes) with brush.
Alchemy 😉
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
All I do is use a flat brush, thinned paint and paint in the direction of the airflow.
Goto Top

Martin
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
May 2 2018, 09:04 PM
All I do is use a flat brush, thinned paint and paint in the direction of the airflow.
It can not be so simple...you are alchemist :yes:
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Johni044
May 2 2018, 09:03 PM
Alchemy 😉
:rofl:
Goto Top

Johni044
Member Avatar
John
[ *  *  * ]
Got the decals on, need some to do a add some satin/mat varnish then a little weathering.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
That looks like a really good little kit :thumb:
Ill have to read up on its history as I know very little about that aircraft :)

Great paintwork John :yes:

Andy
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Revell Full review builds · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources