Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Click on the banner link at the top right to access the official Revell Community (German)

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Mark all forums read
Welcome to Revell Model Kits, Plastic Modelling, Kit Reviews, Advice & Exchange of Ideas. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
HK Models 1/32 B-17F 'Memphis Belle'
Topic Started: May 13 2018, 07:03 PM (115 Views)
jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Here is a project I have wanted to do ever since I heard that HK were releasing the B-17E/F after their initial G release.
There were a few improvements made on the E/F kit after modellers comments of the G. A nice sign of a kit manufacturer listening to the buying public. My plan is to display the kit on a base along with her crew and mascot dog 'Stuka'.

So here is the box top shot.

Posted Image

To add to the kit I got the Eduard Big-Ed set part II which covers the fuselage interior, HGW wood decals for the interior floors, doors and other parts, HGW seat belts which include resin cockpit seat pads and the Master turned barrels.

Posted Image

For the (large!) base I got an A1 piece of foam board, some concrete looking wallpaper, an 8th Air Force sticker and an A4 sheet with decals of the 'girls' either side of the nose.

Posted Image

And so the base was done today. Although I still need to weather the concrete.

Posted Image

Steve

Goto Top

Jamesv9820
[ * ]
Look forward to this mate. Itís a lovely kit. Still have mine boxed up!
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Jamesv9820
May 13 2018, 07:16 PM
Itís a lovely kit.
:woo: thats a bit of an understatement.
I can't remember the last time I was this excited/nervous about building a kit. I only hope I can get close to some of the wonderful builds I've seen of this.

Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Steve: Great start.. :thumb: I'm looking forward to seeing your build..

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Grabbing a comfy seat and popcorn at the ready :pop: :pop:
:thumb:

Andy
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
:wow: A lot of investment there!

I have some of the HGW stuff, it's very good.

I don't know what you have in mind, but I'd recommend some sort of frame for the foam board. If it's attached securely it should reduce any tendency of the board warping.
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
peebeep
May 14 2018, 03:30 PM
I don't know what you have in mind, but I'd recommend some sort of frame for the foam board. If it's attached securely it should reduce any tendency of the board warping.
It will eventually be attached to a slightly larger piece of wood to add rigidity as well as a border.

Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
And so the Belle build begins.
The fuselage has the nose and tail gunner parts seperate to allow for different versions. The instructions would have you build the fuselage up as well as the nose and tail gunner housing before joining them together. I have decided to attach these pieces first to give me a chance to have a bigger canvas to work on as well as being able to have better join seams.

And although not mentioned in the instructions I am undecided whether or not to open up the tail gunner entry hatch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Goto Top

Jamesv9820
[ * ]
Looks good Steve. I presume that the plastic is typical HK models and really tough?

Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Jamesv9820
May 21 2018, 07:51 PM
I presume that the plastic is typical HK models and really tough?

I haven't done much cutting yet but I'll let you know when I do.

Goto Top

DH764
Member Avatar
The Mighty Fin
[ *  *  * ]
Big and beautiful :thumb:

Andy
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Today I started on the soundproof padding in the nose section. For this I am using the very soft cloths used for cleaning glasses that I got from an optitian.
Hopefully it will look ok under a coat of paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Goto Top

CPNGROATS
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Sound Proofing looks great in this scale... :thumb:

Cheers,

ggc
Goto Top

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
[ *  *  * ]
Looks ok with a coat of paint, although there are still a lot of details to be added yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steve

Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Not the Revell workbench · Next Topic »

Friends of RevellAtions
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources