Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Star Fox Assault; Back to basics, but with new stuff in store
Topic Started: Sep 2 2010, 12:47 PM (1,727 Views)
Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
How can the Great Fox be.........I'm not sure I even want to know.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Fox is the name, Tech is my game
Design wise, it was just, so awesome

Deleted User
Deleted User

Now we get the Great Fox II: a flying potato.

I'm SO glad that SFC wasn't canon.

Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
That's true, but we're short one Great Fox since at the end of Assault Peppy had to push the self-destruct button. :lol:

Hopefully they remake the old one or have a design that doesn't look so bad.

Julius Quasar
Member Avatar
CDF Commander of the Army
FoxMcCloud
Jan 27 2011, 10:42 PM
Design wise, it was just, so awesome
Agreed!

Quote:

Now we get the Great Fox II: a flying potato.

I'm SO glad that SFC wasn't canon.

...or, a flying piece of poo xD

I'm also glad SFC wasn't/isn't Canon.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Vixie Darkmatter
Jan 28 2011, 01:35 PM
That's true, but we're short one Great Fox since at the end of Assault Peppy had to push the self-destruct button. :lol:

Hopefully they remake the old one or have a design that doesn't look so bad.
He didn't push the self-destruct button. He sent the critically-damaged-and-on-fire-while-getting-eaten-by-aperoids ship hurtling into the shield, whereupon the impact set the hull damage over the limit, causing it to explode.

Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
It still blew up in the end didn't it? I'm still wondering how him and Star Wolf survived though, but I'm sure there's an explanation for it.

Blazethesage
Member Avatar
CDF Master Sergeant
On a more serious note, I think the reason they went with a new design for the Great Fox II rather than going with something resembling the old design... funds.

The Great Fox was NOT a cheap machine. James McCloud left Fox an 80-year Mortgage behind on the damn thing when he died. It may be gone, but Fox will still be paying for it for the rest of his life. He had to go with something smaller, and cheaper.

As for Star Wolf, I'm really not surprised that they lived. All we saw was them leading away a bunch of enemies so that you could go for the queen. They're a competent crew, and while the things looked intimidating, they could be killed. It was just that Fox and them didn't really have time to deal with it, they needed to get to the Queen, so Wolf took Panther and Leon and opened the path for 'em.

As for Peppy, gogo escape pod. If you'll notice, the front of the escape pod Peppy shows up in looks suspiciously like the external view of the Great Fox's bridge. Peppy never had to move anywhere, he just fired the thing up and got the heck outta dodge before the rest of the Great Fox ker-sploded.

I like the touch with his bandaged cheek and arm where the parts of him that were starting to look Aparoid-y obviously 'sploded with the Queen.

Julius Quasar
Member Avatar
Blazethesage
Feb 11 2011, 02:45 PM
On a more serious note, I think the reason they went with a new design for the Great Fox II rather than going with something resembling the old design... funds.

The Great Fox was NOT a cheap machine. James McCloud left Fox an 80-year Mortgage behind on the damn thing when he died. It may be gone, but Fox will still be paying for it for the rest of his life. He had to go with something smaller, and cheaper.

As for Star Wolf, I'm really not surprised that they lived. All we saw was them leading away a bunch of enemies so that you could go for the queen. They're a competent crew, and while the things looked intimidating, they could be killed. It was just that Fox and them didn't really have time to deal with it, they needed to get to the Queen, so Wolf took Panther and Leon and opened the path for 'em.

As for Peppy, gogo escape pod. If you'll notice, the front of the escape pod Peppy shows up in looks suspiciously like the external view of the Great Fox's bridge. Peppy never had to move anywhere, he just fired the thing up and got the heck outta dodge before the rest of the Great Fox ker-sploded.

I like the touch with his bandaged cheek and arm where the parts of him that were starting to look Aparoid-y obviously 'sploded with the Queen.
^ I can agree there.

Blazethesage
Member Avatar
CDF Master Sergeant
On a similar note, that scene just before the boom with Peppy looking all depressed, and we're meant to think it's Peppy's final moments or something, I think the reason he looks so depressed there is because he's sad about the seconds-away loss of the Great Fox. It's one of those things that reminds him of the era of James McCloud, one of Peppy's closest friends. And now, here he is seconds away from the great carrier's ultimate destruction. Yet another piece of James' legacy lost to the void of time and space.

And there's also the possibility he's also silently apologizing to Fox for failing to keep the thing safe, considering there's still at least 65-70 or so years left on the thing's mortage.

Kursed
Member Avatar
Kursed aj rusb!
talk about a headache man stupid banks.

Vulpinism
Member Avatar
Panther's Fangirl
I loved this game, but personally I liked Adventures a bit better. Not sure why, but Adventures had an extra someting over Assault that I can't really put my finger on.

But anyway, back to Assault! I thought the story was VERY cool. Kinda like the Flood in Halo, but the Aparoids were cooler because of the variety. Zombies and little creeper characters were there, like the Flood, but there were also corrupted ships and buildings, and an entire PLANET! Not only that, but they messed with the mind! The surprise appearance of James McCloud (even if it was just his voice) was unexpected. And Awesome.

I loved the new multiplayer mode too. Me and my siblings would spend hours just playing that. Wolf was a bit overpowered in terms of being a playable character, but the fact that they included him as such was great. Wish you could've selected from the whol StarWolf team, though. I would've loved to go around killing people as Panther.

As for the things I didn't like? Well like I said before it's missing a special something I can't really describe. Other than that, it took a step down graphics-wise (I know, I know, just had to get it out there). That's really the only problems I had with it...

My biggest problem is not being able to find it. I think my brother may have sold it...

I hope they continue the series. I have so many questions!
The Great Fox is destroyed. Is that it?
What happened to StarWolf?
The last of Andross' fleet is destroyed... what's left?
Edited by Vulpinism, Mar 15 2011, 02:46 PM.

TomLucas
Member Avatar
Leader of the Celtic Demons
On a slightly unrelated and technical note.
Assault had fur effects, just like Adventures. However, Namco couldn't seem to get the fur to display properly in actual gameplay.

I emulated Assault with the recent updated release of the GC/Wii emulator, Dolphin and saw for myself, their fur effects.

Posted Image
As you can see, Fox and the General's ears use the fur.
Funny enough, the exact same method that I use. A layered mesh with a noise filtered alpha channel.

However, my Gmod version of Krystal used 2 layers, while Assault used 6 (I assume Adventures had more. Perhaps 10?). This achieves a smoother and more connected appearance of the fur. Due to the rendering power it takes to render 6 alpha meshes over an already high poly model (the cutscene models are higher poly than the in game models), I can only assume Namco could only achieve the fur in cutscenes.

The in game model uses multiple fur meshes, too, but it doesn't display properly due to the size of the textures and the quality of their alpha channels.

You'd notice it, if you played the game in HD. But in the Gamecube's native 480p format, you won't be able to see it.

Julius Quasar
Member Avatar
Cool! ^

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Star Fox Cubed · Next Topic »
  • Pages: