Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
which one
Goldeneye 3 (50%)
Halo 3 (50%)
Total Votes: 6
which shooter started console fps,
Topic Started: Jan 1 2011, 05:37 PM (611 Views)
MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
Now before I began this, this is for CONSOLE FPS, There's huge debate over goldeneye and halo.
This topic well be taking very serously not fan boy comment's, and you must be reaonable.

Personally I say goldeneye cause it was before halo and it was very popular and revoultion the genere.

what's your opinion.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Halo. Goldeneye set the standard for console FPS games, to be sure, but it wasn't until Halo came about that the genre really took off. In part, I credit the online scene that came with it. Goldeneye was restricted to local play, whereas Halo let you play with people all over the world.

Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
I haven't actually played goldeneye but I have heard a lot about it in the past few days. Looking at how it was the original fps for a console system it does deserve some credit, however I must agree with Fox-n-Krystal in that Halo's creation is what made the fps shoot off. I must also agree that it was most likely the online capabilities it possessed that did this as well.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Lol wut... Halo started it? Goldeneye was the first successful console fps and the best one to date. Halo took a lot of elements from Goldeneye but added vehicals... Not to mention that Goldeneye still has more sales than Halo. Console fps games were started by Goldeneye without a doubt.

ps. I hate Halo

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
erm the n64 wasn't online and if it were ge would totally be online, also no one played online during the xbox and ps2 days so online was meh, but u can also say Cod came out and also help popularised it

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Just so we're clear, I'm not ragging on GE at all. It was a freaking rad game, and especially for its time, it revolutionized the genre. Still, technical limitations make it so that, in this particular debate, Goldeneye has no chance. Halo had more market exposure, better graphics, better controls, and better multiplayer. Goldeneye, which might have had a hell of a chance at doing what Halo did, wasn't able to because of the technological differences and because of how much easier it was for Halo to advertise itself in comparison to GE.

Quote:

Lol wut... Halo started it? Goldeneye was the first successful console fps and the best one to date. Halo took a lot of elements from Goldeneye but added vehicals... Not to mention that Goldeneye still has more sales than Halo. Console fps games were started by Goldeneye without a doubt.

ps. I hate Halo

Yes, it was the first, though "best" is horribly subjective. And I admit that Halo did take a lot of elements from Goldeneye, but it improved on them using improved technology and online play, which GE didn't have. And I dunno about sales, but before Halo we saw very few FPS games.

Quote:

erm the n64 wasn't online and if it were ge would totally be online, also no one played online during the xbox and ps2 days so online was meh, but u can also say Cod came out and also help popularised it

I know the N64 wasn't online, and that's why GE loses. It wasn't as good of a multiplayer experience, which is the main attraction in modern FPS games. CoD did help, but Halo is easily the most well known FPS among modern gamers.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Saying Goldeneye loses because it lacks online is a little silly... what you are saying is that the X-Box started the FPS revolution because it had online capabilites. I know people went over to people's houses just to play spliscreen Goldeneye for hours on end.

Quote:

Yes, it was the first, though "best" is horribly subjective. And I admit that Halo did take a lot of elements from Goldeneye, but it improved on them using improved technology and online play, which GE didn't have. And I dunno about sales, but before Halo we saw very few FPS games.

Again, online play and improved technology doesn't mean a better game or starting a revolution. There were littles sales before Halo because the technology present couldn't handle what develoupers wanted, which is why almost all FPS games were PC exclusives.

Quote:

CoD on consoles was really what made FPS what it is now. But what really started online FPS games was Counter Strike.

Again, after Goldeneye there was very high demand for FPS titles on consoles, develoupers were just waiting for the technology to catch up.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Quote:

Saying Goldeneye loses because it lacks online is a little silly... what you are saying is that the X-Box started the FPS revolution because it had online capabilites. I know people went over to people's houses just to play spliscreen Goldeneye for hours on end.

In a sense, yeah, that's what I'm saying. Halo was one of the major games to cash in on those capabilities, meaning that it was one of the major influences in making FPS games accessible to those who didn't necessarily have friends to play Goldeneye with. Just because you did doesn't mean everyone did.

Quote:

Again, online play and improved technology doesn't mean a better game or starting a revolution. There were littles sales before Halo because the technology present couldn't handle what develoupers wanted, which is why almost all FPS games were PC exclusives.

Online play in and of itself doesn't, no, nor does the improved technology. The online capabilities, though, made the multiplayer more accessible and set the standard for FPS multiplay on consoles ever since then. The improved technology isn't important so much as what Bungie did with it; that is, make a game that everyone ate up and loved.

Quote:

CoD on consoles was really what made FPS what it is now. But what really started online FPS games was Counter Strike.

Again, after Goldeneye there was very high demand for FPS titles on consoles, develoupers were just waiting for the technology to catch up.

Maybe CoD was, but I was just rolling with the options presented. And CS may have started online FPS, but it was a PC game, so it has no place in this discussion. And GE was released in 1997. FPS on consoles didn't pick up till several years after that, namely with Halo in 2001 and CoD in 2003.

Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
I do recall one day being invited to a GE party, after spending the whole day there and after hours of playing I still struggled to get used to the control scheme.

Halo's control scheme is more smooth for me, and at the time I was able to purchase my own games, Halo was accessable and GE wasn't.(I'm a little bummed that there were no N64s anywhere)

So I am most likely too biased to really make any more of a statement than this in here anymore. Ease of access was the biggest deciding factor for me.

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
time to lay the smack down.

The only reason halo became popular, really was because it was the only game on the orignal xbox to play even after ge you still saw fps coming like perfect dark. Also people played goldeneye spilt screen which is better then online, and like I said when halo and xbox and ps2 were out, the online wasn't very big.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Quote:

Just because you did doesn't mean everyone did.

Actually, I was one of those people that didn't have friends over. Halo may have created online FPS, but my point still remains that Goldeneye created the console FPS fanbase which carried onto Halo.

Quote:

Online play in and of itself doesn't, no, nor does the improved technology. The online capabilities, though, made the multiplayer more accessible and set the standard for FPS multiplay on consoles ever since then.

Halo set the trend for online console FPS games, I will admit that, but I will say again, many of those game modes are a like the modes set by Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Halo just gave them online.

Quote:

The improved technology isn't important so much as what Bungie did with it; that is, make a game that everyone ate up and loved.

I myself will never understand what is so good about Halo. Rare did the exact same thing, they madde Goldeney which people ate up and loved, creating the FPS console fanbase and the call for more console FPS games.

Quote:

. And GE was released in 1997. FPS on consoles didn't pick up till several years after that, namely with Halo in 2001 and CoD in 2003.

As I pointed out, develoupers were waiting for technology to catch up to PC levels so they could create games that they liked, with the release of the fourth gen systems this was possible.

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
goldeneye was a console exclusive, halo was not, halo was also a pc fps.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Quote:

time to lay the smack down.

The only reason halo became popular, really was because it was the only game on the orignal xbox to play even after ge you still saw fps coming like perfect dark. Also people played goldeneye spilt screen which is better then online, and like I said when halo and xbox and ps2 were out, the online wasn't very big.

It was the only game, and it also basically spawned the army of FPS games which are pretty much clones of it with tweaked formulas. And the stance that splitscreen is better is purely opinion based, so please, leave your fanboy statements at the door.

Quote:

Actually, I was one of those people that didn't have friends over. Halo may have created online FPS, but my point still remains that Goldeneye created the console FPS fanbase which carried onto Halo.

My bad, then. And the Goldeneye fanbase may have transferred to Halo, but I'm certain they make up a relatively small portion compared to those who were introduced to it through online play.

Quote:

Halo set the trend for online console FPS games, I will admit that, but I will say again, many of those game modes are a like the modes set by Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Halo just gave them online.

Right. Like I said before, Goldeneye set the standard and gave Halo a launchpad, but Halo is what helped put FPS games on the mainstream gaming map as far as consoles are concerned.

Quote:

I myself will never understand what is so good about Halo. Rare did the exact same thing, they madde Goldeney which people ate up and loved, creating the FPS console fanbase and the call for more console FPS games.

Meh, I don't hate Halo, but I do agree with you that it gets much more love than it deserves. And like I said, GE did make a pretty sizable fanbase itself, but Halo increased that FPS popularity exponentially.

Quote:

As I pointed out, develoupers were waiting for technology to catch up to PC levels so they could create games that they liked, with the release of the fourth gen systems this was possible.

They arguably could have done it with PS1, considering some of the things I've seen done with that system. Near the ends of its life, they were doing some pretty impressive things on it.

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
Erm, how is my comment a fanboy comment? I owned all 3 systems and there fore I'm not a fan boy.
Like I stated twice no one played CONSOLE ONLINE, it was usaully the pc that was online, And probaly more people played the pc version, Halo MIGHT of helped online but half life probaly did the most.

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
Quote:

And the Goldeneye fanbase may have transferred to Halo, but I'm certain they make up a relatively small portion compared to those who were introduced to it through online play.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'introduced to it through online play' you mean they were lured to the game by it? Or are you meaning something else? But you may be right, I'm not going to go out and ask thousands of players how they were introduced to Halo. :P

Quote:

Right. Like I said before, Goldeneye set the standard and gave Halo a launchpad, but Halo is what helped put FPS games on the mainstream gaming map as far as consoles are concerned.

Yes, Halo may have been they first game that many younger gamers (X-Box may have been their first console?) experience. Gaming grew more popular as years past attracting a bigger auidience. Goldeneye set the standard for the genre and showed just how well a FPS game can be on a console, Halo ran with that and added online.

Quote:

but Halo increased that FPS popularity exponentially.

And that is something I'll never understand. It added vehicals, is that why?

Quote:

They arguably could have done it with PS1, considering some of the things I've seen done with that system. Near the ends of its life, they were doing some pretty impressive things on it.

Agreed, but devs don't usually want to push the limitations of the console, look at the Wii, it can do amazing stuff, but devs often avoid it because of the lack of power, as it was back in the old n64 and ps1 days.

EDIT: Half Life isn't a FPS game, it is a First Person Adventure, like the Metroid Prime series.
Edited by Evilwaffles, Jan 1 2011, 11:49 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Gaming · Next Topic »
  • Pages: