Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Why the Wii is Good; I'm gonna prove why the Wii is good.
Topic Started: Jan 15 2011, 12:59 PM (803 Views)
Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
null

Now I well and shall prove why the wii is fantastic.

Let me begin by pointing out that I love the Wii. It is tied with PC and PS2 for one of my most played gaming systems. That said...

Quote:

1. The wii has plenty of good and great game's, ports or exclusive's.

Yes, it does, including FE: Radiant Dawn, which is one of my favorite games. Still, most of its exclusives are just trying to cash in on Wiimote Waggling and have no real substance to them. Those titles that are noteworthy are very, very good, but most Wii games are too reliant on a single gimmick that isn't even very good from a gaming standpoint.

Quote:

2. It single handed change the entire game indursty.

In a sense, yes. However, I'm generally of the opinion that the change it brought on hasn't been used very well. Shooting games, like Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 4 made good use of motion controls, but many games, as I said above, rely simply on "OMG SWING THE WIIMOTE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND HOPE YOU WIN!" It has potential, but few have actually realized it.

Quote:

3. It does not lack any games

Completely untrue. There's all sorts of games that aren't available on the Wii. Basically any FPS game avoids it like the plague, and there's plenty of other games that passed it up in favor of XBox and PS3.

Quote:

4. ps3 and 360 stole from the wii.

This is debatable. Peripherals using motion control or other similar features have existed on past consoles, but it wasn't until Wii that they became mainstream and popular. In any case, I'd hesitate to say it's even possible to steal something like motion controls. It's just a concept, and each console has implemented it differently. Saying that 360 and PS3 stole motion controls is like saying NES stole controllers from the first gaming system.

Quote:

5. okay maybe its online sucks but at least its free

Just because it's free doesn't excuse it. If it sucks, it sucks. Anyway, PS3 has free online as well.

Quote:

6. HD doesn't mean games are good and gameplay > graphics.

HD doesn't make games good, but having HD graphics > not having HD graphics. Also, lol@ bringing up gameplay in an argument about Wii. Most of Wii gameplay is gimmicky and unresponsive. There are a few games that do it right, but the vast majority of them have inferior graphics as well as abysmal gameplay.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
As I said, I love the games on the Wii that are actually good. Problem is, there's lots that aren't. Also, as I said before, you can't steal motion control from the Wii any more than any gaming console can steal controllers from the Odyssey. It was the first home gaming console, and thus the first to use a controller. The Wiimote is a controller, so are you saying that Wii stole from the Odyssey?

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Evilwaffles

If the design scheme and the appearance are uncanny to their competitor then yes, I will say they stole the idea.

The XBox Controller was uncannily similar to the Gamecube controller, which was uncannily similar to the PS2 controller. Four buttons on the right, D-Pad, two sticks, etc. There were a few design differences, but still, same basic setup. The idea wasn't stolen any more than controller designs have been stolen; rather, Sony cashed in on a design they knew worked, just like other consoles did when the Playstation controller did well.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
Evilwaffles

I'm not going all fan boy and going 'omq evry1 is stealingz from Nintendo' but the point of the post here is that Playstation out right stole the controller design scheme from Nintendo, it is universially accepted, Sony even mentioned it in their 2010 E3 speech.

Dictionary.com

Steal - to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.

By your own words, Sony admitted to using the Wii's controller design, so by definition, they didn't steal it. This may seem like a trivial technicality, but I only bring it up to drive home my following point: Any industry is built around doing what works.

During the Industrial Revolution when the textile industry moved to factories, hand-made cloth went under. Factories made consistently better cloth for cheaper and in less time. When other factories started springing up, it wasn't stealing; it was accepting innovation and allowing their industry to evolve.

The same goes for the gaming industry. Sony did not steal the controller design. Rather, they embraced an innovation which had been proven effective, gave credit where it was due, and did their part in advancing the gaming industry as a whole. Whether this whole motion control fad will pan out into something substantial, I don't know, but saying that they stole the controller design is incorrect, both technically and in a more general sense.

Fox-n-Krystal
Member Avatar
CDF Sergeant
MrFordDoesNotLikeU

Okay, but we can all agree that the wii has plenty of good game,s etc etc.

I've said from the start I love the Wii. Fire Emblem? Metroid Prime Trilogy? Resident Evil games? Zelda Games? Monster Hunter Tri? All amazing. The problem is, quite simply, what crazyfooinc said. Most of the games suck, so they make it difficult for the Wii to gain a good reputation.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Nintendo Wii · Next Topic »