Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Owa's gmod server.
Topic Started: Mar 4 2011, 09:47 AM (2,558 Views)
OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
going to be using this map for movie nights from now on.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=94145

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Fox is the name, Tech is my game
Next movie night will tentatively be next Friday at 8:00, movie ideas?

KeikoMystere
Member Avatar
CDF Ensign
Multiple suggestions!

Cartoons:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Animaniacs marathon
The Great Mouse Detective (classic stuff. :D )

Anime:
Kara no Kyoukai (if you don't mind subtitles. There are, like, six movies? It's pretty cool stuff though. :3 )
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Pokemon movies (lolwut, just kidding.)

Actual Movies:
Army of Darkness
Dead-Alive

Youtube Crap:
Happy Video Game Nerd marathon
Angry Video Game Nerd marathon
Tobygames Let's Plays
Retsupuraes

Vixie Darkmatter
Member Avatar
Mercenary
Just something I noticed, but the Mobenix link on the first page leads to a Construct Grass V5 download page.

Mobinex link here. :3

OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
Vixie Darkmatter
Apr 22 2011, 05:22 PM
Just something I noticed, but the Mobenix link on the first page leads to a Construct Grass V5 download page.

Mobinex link here. :3
heh... must've been something i did. i'll fix it in a sec.

EDIT: Fixed ^^
Edited by OneWingedAngel92302, Apr 22 2011, 05:25 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I AM DOWN WITH AVGN MARATHON!

Considering I don't have watch at that time :/ Friday's my next duty day. If you don't mind Saturday, I can join you guys definitely.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Saturdays work out, whatever is best for you guys ^-^ But I need to make sure nothing is going on, at my dorm this Saturday

OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
I've lately been running a small listen server off of my home computer, a Few Users like keiko and Vixie have entered it and so far It seems like it can handle most things without a problem and server lag is surprisingly small unlike the Dedicated Brohoster server we normally use.

you're probably thinking.... "So? Why would we need to get a second server with less lag when We could just toss out some of the crappy Maps and addons in the old one to make it better?"

Simple, there are 5 reasons why setting up a primary server on a home computer is more efficient as well as beneficial.

1. There won't be any risks of the server going down for serious maintenance and brohoster moving thing and changing IP address's.

2. Cost to keep it running = $0.00, its mostly a benefit on my end but it gets rid of the chances of my Server disabled because of an invoice un-paid.

3. Instant updates to the source models and maps, meaning no outdated or missing hl2, tf2, and counter-strike counter-strike maps. Animations for the Normal Npc animations would be fixed completely, and We can Have Half-life 2 Co-op games for those who own it.

4. One of the most frustrating things of Renting a Server is the time it takes for me to upload mods through the server control panel. If we have a server Running off my computer, I could easily add Requested maps and Mods On the spot Rather then spend 15 minutes to an hour uploading a single pack.

Plus, there would be no limits to the major kind of mods that require .dll's, With brohoster It forbids us to upload those. But on my computer, I can. X)

5. FOR THE LAST FRICKEN TIME. The maps have nothing to do with the server having lag, They don't take up any of the brohoster server's processing power when not used. And Addons like the doom Sweps and Bailout are not really big, infact, they are some of the few mods we actually have even though i still get claims that we have to many.

Bailout and The Doom addon are mostly made of Lua and Texture files with 1 or 2 models out of them both. Lua and texture files are basically a fancy format base for Text files and picture files, so they're very small. I Highly Doubt they would be the cause of all the lag.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Lag is usually caused by Bandwith problems either with the user or even the computer that the server is on. The internet works by what is called "ping" if your Ping is high, then your distance from the server is quite high, or you are having problems with your computer's network card, and make sure that it is uptodate, and the cable you are using to plug into the computer to the network is actually in a decent condition.

There are so many causes for "lag" itself, but it is not the computer itself, its how fast the server is transmitting, receiving and acknowledging the packets.

Brohoster would be one to blame because with how they provide network services for other consumers, they could be running 20 GMOD servers on the same computer, trying to process 20 servers through one Network card is a bit tough.

I think the move to the Listen server is good, it prevents people that we don't want on the server, and faster control, and updates of everything.

I am siding with Onewinged, and just helping you guys understand how the interbuts work :P

OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
Well, I wouldn't exactly say we're going to be making a full move just yet. But yes, Bandwith usually is the cause for that sort of thing.

I might still keep the old server even with the new computer I'm getting. I'd give a bit more Room for other stuff, and even allow us to Make Servers other then Gmod.

Brohoster only limits us to using the gmod source game, while with my computer i can Host other games like counter-strike, Left 4 Dead 2, and other games even off steam.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Well I was merely just supporting your statement about its not the processing power that is causing the lag :P

BUUUT, anyways I think the Listen server has alot of benefits that are the best. I dunno from what I have seen, and heard, sounds good!

Kursed
Member Avatar
Kursed aj rusb!
I couldn't care less what we do. you running the server off your old or new comp?

Icy
Member Avatar
CDF Master Sergeant
Sounds great, OWA. I've noticed you've been on a "server not responding" server lately. :P
Which is usually a server from someone's computer.

If it'll work, I say go for it. I have L4D2 now, and I want to play with you guys sometime, too. It'd be nice if you could run a server for any game any time. ^ ^
Edited by Icy, Apr 27 2011, 05:56 PM.

OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
Kursed
Apr 27 2011, 03:14 PM
I couldn't care less what we do. you running the server off your old or new comp?
Old computer for the moment, but i'll be running one on the new computer that will be ten times better in preformence.

And Icy, We really need to play a game sometime then. :XD:

OneWingedAngel92302
Member Avatar
A broken sword....
This Is Sadly going to locked from now on... Explanation can be found here.... :sob:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/starfoxgalaxies/announcements/detail/1047300394151498710

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · PC and Mac Gaming · Next Topic »
  • Pages: