Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Gaming Computers
Topic Started: Mar 31 2011, 05:58 PM (433 Views)
MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
Okay, I want a computer this good enough for gamming no allienware crap, now I need to know should I.
-Build one up or buy it all built togather.
- get a MAC or PC
-what kind of HDMI Should I get?
- what type of hardware should I get?
-How much is this gonna cost me?

Arashikage
Member Avatar
Shadow Element Lieutenant
Questions in order:

1. Build it yourself, a lot cheaper and you make it exactly how you want it

2. Does this question even need to be asked!? PC! Seriously

3. What does that mean? There's one type of HDMI... So get HDMI

4. Get an AMD processor, it's as good as Intel and like, half to one third the cost. Go with NVidia for graphics, anything GeForce, l would recommend the 100 to 500 series, those are awesome. Go with Corsair for the RAM, I haven't used any better RAM in my life. You'd want a terrabyte hard drive, you can find one for 30 bucks on Tigerdirect, easy there.

5. My new computer was around $300, but that was without the RAM and the Hard Drive and Optical Drive. Computers aren't cheap, so I'd recommend getting around 500-600 dollars before going shopping

Hope I can help

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Ditto on Arashikage. I'd also add to never go super cheap with the power supply - get a well known brand. If it's under $50, it's probably no good. Same thing with RAM... well, you could say it of any part, actually, but if you have a craptacular power supply it might take out every other part in your PC with it when it dies. :P

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
What parts do I need to build up my computer?

Evilwaffles
Member Avatar
Nhas berhu uhna'dha!
-Build one up or buy it all built togather.
Build it

- get a MAC or PC
PC

-what kind of HDMI Should I get?
Any type of HDMI cable.

- what type of hardware should I get?
What Arishikage said

-How much is this gonna cost me?
A lot.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Fox is the name, Tech is my game
Ahhh Gaming computers ^-^

My recommendation is to either shop at Newegg or Tigerdirect for the parts they all have their ups and downs

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
You'll need the following to build a computer:

- A case if you don't already have one, mid-tower or larger. Try to get one with plenty of fans.
- Power Supply (600 W or greater depending on what you're putting in the PC, you might need more if you're getting some uber graphics card, and make sure it has connects for all the devices that will need them in this list)
- Motherboard (Most have onboard sound and ethernet, but you might want to double check that it has these, as otherwise you'd need separate cards for them)
- CPU (Make sure that it matches the CPU slot type on the Motherboard)
- CPU Fan if your CPU doesn't come with one
- RAM (Make sure that your motherboard supports the size, speed, and type of RAM that you get (DDR2, DDR3, etc.))
- Graphics Card (Make sure that your Motherboard has a slot that supports the interface of the Graphics Card (PCI-E X16 and PCI-E 2.0 X16 are the most common))
- Hard Drive if you're not transplanting an old one, the bigger the better. Try making it SATA and make sure the Motherboard supports this.
- Any media interfaces/drives you may need (like DVD-ROM, media card readers, Blu-Ray, etc. For optical drives (DVD and Blu-ray) you'll want to again get SATA)
- A copy of your OS of choice so that you can install it if you are starting with a new Hard Drive

That SHOULD be everything you need for a full system. Let me know if I missed anything.
Edited by Fana McCloud, Apr 1 2011, 10:35 AM.

Icy
Member Avatar
CDF Master Sergeant
The motherboard needs to have some USB ports as well. (Although, don't quote me on that, I haven't built one in a long time. They may need to be installed separately)
You'll need a sound card, too. (If the motherboard doesn't or if you'd like a better quality one)

If you do wi-fi, you'll need a wireless card also.

Make sure the CPU is at least a dual core. Most games call for that nowadays.
And of course you'll need a mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc. (But that's not technically IN the computer)

As for everything else, what Arash, Fana, etc, all said. ^ ^

Good luck!
Edited by Icy, Apr 1 2011, 10:41 AM.

Arashikage
Member Avatar
Heh, I pity those with dual cores. You should get a quad core, my AMD Athlon II costs about $100

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
Okay, Which brand are the good ones to get for all parts, also shouldn't I use blu-ray over dvd's since blu ray is far superior and also makes dvd's look better?
EDIT: Where can I find a Instructions Manuel?
Edited by MrFordDoesNotLikeU, Apr 1 2011, 03:20 PM.

Arashikage
Member Avatar
Instruction manual for what?

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
To build a computer.

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
I'm sure Amazon might have books. I honestly learned on my own with some help from my mother who had training. It's not rocket science, but there are a lot of little things you have to learn (like not touching the precious electronics without being grounded to discharge static first).

MrFordDoesNotLikeU
Member Avatar
CDF Second Lieutenant
Oh yeah, Doesn't PC get viruses and mac's don't?

Deleted User
Deleted User

You don't have to worry about getting viruses when building a computer. Viruses only get there by internet (unless you build them yourself and infect yourself like an idiot)

I'd love to help you build one, since my computer was built from scratch. However, I'm not there in person :P

It would be very wise to look for "barebone" kits. These come with the case and a few other items at a discounted price, and the parts that come with it should play nice with each other, but it doesn't include everything, so watch out for that. Once you get the kit, then cross those items off of Fana's list and pick up the missing items.

It all depends on what kind of gaming computer you want. Do you want it to be average, being able to play most normal games at ok graphics settings? Or do you want to be able to run games like Crysis on its maximum settings without skipping a beat? You have to know what you want out of it before plopping down a small fortune on a gaming computer. Hope this helps.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · PC and Mac Gaming · Next Topic »
  • Pages: