Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
X

Latest Announcements

Welcome to StarFox Galaxies. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can view the forum but cannot post anywhere. If you join as a member, you gain full access to our community and are able to post to your heart's content. Please be advised that your account will be MANUALLY approved by an administrator, so you won't gain access instantaneously. Rest assured we're on the case though!

We welcome all new members and take them into our family's open arms. Have fun, and enjoy your stay.
~SFG Staff

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Fana Plays Indie Games; Cause she's too hip for those mainstream games - and too cheap.
Topic Started: Apr 12 2011, 11:14 AM (368 Views)
Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
So lately I've been getting into playing these usually short but fun little indie games. I end up liking them better than normal games because they tend to be rather innovative or just flat out better designed, and are typically fun too.

So I'm thinking that I shall use this thread to let people know about some of these fun little games. With that in mind, my first three games are:

The Devil's Tuning Fork
Super Crate Box
Balloon Diaspora

The Devil's Tuning Fork -
Probably the most interesting of these for me was The Devil's Tuning Fork. It's a first-person adventure/puzzle game where you have to save a bunch of children trapped in some bizarre alternate reality mansion of evil - only the children are shaped like stuffed animals and you can only see your way around by using the eponymous tuning fork to create sound waves and echo locate your way through said mansion of evil.

My brother's first response upon playing this thing is that the creators must've been on crack. Visually, it's a rather trippy sight to be seen, but that's part of why I love it so much. It plays rather well too - but prepare to be frustrated trying to bounce sound waves off the mirrors just right, cause getting them to hit the gongs is frustrating in some places and feels like dumb luck. I'd still highly recommend that people play this, it's short and I think you'll be as awestruck as I was. You can get it at www.devilstuningfork.com.

Posted Image

Balloon Diaspora -
Also ranking up there on the trippy scale is Balloon Diaspora. Well, maybe less trippy and more just a game with a rather calm, dark, alienating atmosphere. It's something you have to really play to feel. In a land where everyone is a little more on the blocky side, and everything's dark, you're a traveler from a far off land whose hot air balloon springs a leak and you crash down in the Dark Valley where you meet another apparent balloon enthusiast, and both of you set off to get patches to fix your balloon.

What you need to understand about me is that I LOVE games with off kilter atmospheres. I also for whatever reason like point and click adventure games. It's the reason I also like Myst, so this game is just right up my alley. It also feels like it's the video game equivalent of an art film, and I always like exploring the realm of the artsy. It's short, I kinda wished it were longer and all, but I liked what was there. It's not really challenging at all though, it's practically just an interactive story, so if you don't dig the atmosphere or story elements then don't bother, cause you won't need to puzzle your way through much to get to the end.

You can get a copy and watch a video trailer over here: cardboardcomputer.com/games/balloon-diaspora/.

Super Crate Box -
And now for something a little more traditional, a single-screen platformer called Super Crate Box. I am warning you now, this game is freaking nintendo hard. I take that back, I think it might be a little beyond nintendo hard, it's up there with Cat Mario because it's pretty much just trial and error and lots of dumb luck - either that or you have to have jedi reflexes. As far as I can tell there are only three levels, and you have to get 10 crates on one level to unlock the next one. I've only gotten 10 crates on the first level so far, after dying maybe like 100 times. Dear god, this game is gonna give me carpal tunnel. I also can't put it down. Hopping around and killing enemies with the fun weapons you get from the crates is just so FUN. It makes me think of my fun times with Worms in the past.

You can grab Super Crate Box over here: www.supercratebox.com. Just don't blame me if you break yourself or anything else playing this thing.

Posted Image

That's all for this time. Tune in for more games at a later date.

Icy
Member Avatar
CDF Master Sergeant
You know, if you really like Indie games, I suggest the Humble Bundle!

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay whatever ya want for a bunch of them. ^ ^
Nice reviews you have there, too.
You should try Super Meat Boy and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. :P

Tuning Fork looks fun…
Edited by Icy, Apr 12 2011, 04:46 PM.

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Oooh, Humble Bundle. Thanks for the tip, those games look interesting. XD

KeikoMystere
Member Avatar
CDF Ensign
Still haven't played Cave Story?
http://www.cavestory.org/

GET ON IT ALREADY. It's an amazing indie game, and the PC version still persists to be free.

BallisticWaffles
Member Avatar
Frater Centurion
Peggle. Enuff said.

FoxMcCloud
Member Avatar
Fox is the name, Tech is my game
Ahhh Indie games, My roommate is an Indie game Developer, and studying for a Game Design.

Some popular Indie games range from Meat Boy, Cavestory, Braid, and other famous titles.

I really recommend you check out all the Humble Indie Bundles, if they are still available. I know number 3 was on sale a few days ago.
Edited by FoxMcCloud, Apr 15 2011, 02:55 AM.

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll try looking into some of them.

The Iconoclasts -
My next game is a short prototype (that I HOPE he'll finish!) called The Iconoclasts. A REALLY fun little platformer with at least the beginnings of an interesting story. You REALLY should play this thing - just be advised that the elevator in the Desert is a dead end and the end of the game, don't go on thinking you're not getting how to advance further, because that really is the end. Download here: www.konjak.org/index.php?entry=52

Posted Image

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Soul Brother -
Oh look, it's so bright and colorful! And the music's so groovy! And... hey, wait, are those spikes? And buzz saws? And floating stars of prickly doom? O.o A cute little platformer where you actually have to kill yourself so that your soul can transmigrate into the bodies of various creatures you encounter in order to solve puzzles and reach all 33 gems of golden wisdom. You'll probably die... like, a lot. And there are still 3 gems I haven't been able to find/reach myself. But it's just so damned colorful and groovy that I can't help but love it. XD You can play it here: http://games.adultswim.com/soul-brother-adventure-online-game.html

[utube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH7K8_SPXT8[/utube]

Arashikage
Member Avatar
Shadow Element Lieutenant
You should try out Project Freedom, it's a 5 dollar game on Steam, but it's so addicting. It's like Ace Combat, but PC and space.

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Spike - A Love Story -
How do I love thee? Let me express it by smashing you into pulp! That's pretty much what this game is about. A spike trap's only way of expressing his love for the protagonist is by squishing him into bloody pulp. :3 Play it here: http://www.silvergames.com/spike-a-love-story

Arashikage
Member Avatar
Shadow Element Lieutenant
Lol I got fired, twice.

Fana McCloud
Member Avatar
Former CEF Commander
Trauma -
This game is a short little point and click adventure-style game only... reeeeally surreal. I mean, more so than the Myst games even. It makes me wish it were longer though because I found its brand of surreal rather interesting. You interact with things either by clicking them or using gestures that you find while looking around. It's also in the current Humble Bundle, so tossing a few dimes for both it and Frozen Synapse (a fun turn based squad strategy game) might be worth it. Info on the game here: http://www.traumagame.com/ And the Humble Bundle is here: http://www.humblebundle.com/

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · PC and Mac Gaming · Next Topic »